Kanalkampf. Mission 16: 29th July 1940

RAF flight reports for the epic ACG Historical Campaign - "Peace In Our Time" covering the Fall of France and the Battle of Britain. We are recruiting new pilots so you can join this - post in the Reception to request a seat. This forum is publically viewable.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Skin Team, Treasurers, Administration Staff

Random

Re: Kanalkampf. Mission 16: Monday 29th July

Post by Random » Mon May 26, 2014 8:59 am

Squadron: No.615 "County of Surrey" Squadron
Squadron code: "KW"
Pilot name: Random
Date: 29th July 1940
Base: Kenley
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia
Marking: N
Serial number:

Scrambled to intercept bomber formation heading towards dover. Conditions must have been good because radar had spotted them while still over france! We turned south from dover hoping to intercept them as far from blighty as possible. Met the, mid channel 2 groups of Stukas with 109 cover. Blue flight dived in on the trailing group, Red took the lead. As usual things got pretty confusing at that point. I remember making one clean pass on a stuka and getting some hits in, pulled up and rolled over to go back for another go but got over eager. Long burst into my stuka, but pulled out too late and my right wing made contact.

The rest is all a bit of a blur but I somehow found myself back in control... Minus the outer 6 feet of the starboard wing! Stick hard over and a boot full of rudder and I could manage a gentle controlled descent. I made hawkinge, and to my surprise my wheels came down OK. I decided against flaps and managed to get it down onto the strip.

Claims
Destroyed:
Probable: 1 JU87
Damaged:

Lost
Pilot: Shaking and in need of new trousers
A/C: Remoddled with asymmetric wings for improved roll rate

Flick

Post by Flick » Mon May 26, 2014 10:12 am

Squadron: No.501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron

Squadron code: "SD"

Pilot name: Flick.

Date:

Time:
Landed:
Base: Hawkinge
Marking: P for Prick
Serial number: F1ICK

Synopsis:

Today I was Gold 3 in the 3rd Echelon in the squadron. We scrambled from Hawkinge and climbed easterly over the south coast of Kent reaching Angels 20 off Deal. We then turned south and six miles south of Dover we made contact with the enemy. I climbed further to act as top cover and to prevent zooming and booming by the more expert Hun pilots. On four occasions I prevented Me109s from reaching the apogee of their climb and made it possible for other squadron members to gain more energy than their foe.
The radio messages from Gold leader were very low volume and I was unable to get a clear positional picture so I made a decision to find some trade for myself.
Blue Leader called out that another raid was incoming and I soon found myself above a swarm of enemy bombers with plenty of energy to spare. Despite my best efforts I only managed to damage three Ju87's before I felt some irregularities in engine power. I headed back to Dover in a gentle descent and the fault with my engine seemed to clear. Just as I was toying with the idea of getting back into the fray I saw a lone Me109 over the white cliffs between Dover and Folkestone. I managed to hit him from a distance but but he made his escape towards Dover castle. I was convinced he was low near the castle so I sped around at low level trying to spot him. Suddenly I was surrounded by flack. Those short sighted plebs on our flack guns definitely need to go back to recognition school. I scarpered and landed safely but with some blue on blue damage.

Pilot - OK
Plane - Flack damage (repairable)

Claims
1x 109 Damaged
3x Ju-87 Damaged
Life's too short to ride hard packed snow

Meaker

Post by Meaker » Mon May 26, 2014 11:09 am

Squadron:
Squadron Code: SD
Pilot Name:Meaker
Time: 0700hrs
Aerodrome: Hawkinge
Type: Hawker Hurricane MkI 100 Octane
Marking: ‘G’ for George
Serial:P2793

COMBAT FLIGHT RECORD

Flying out of our satellite base at RAF Hawkinge,I was designated to fly Blue 3 with Blue section,with F/O Teepee taking command as Blue Leader and F/O Bunny flying as Blue 2.

Blue section lined up in impeccable order in our Vic formation along the old main runway at Hawkinge and prepared itself for action.With the C/O leading,Red section tore along the strip and got airborne,swiftly followed by the other three sections behind it.
F/O Teepee had our Blue section flying directly behind Red section and we kept our formation beautifully together all the way to the incoming raid.Soon the raid was spotted a few miles from Cap Griz Nez and the C/O lead 501 into the attack,with all sections communicating what part of the enemy formation it was going to engage.

I followed F/O Teepee into the attack and I could see F/O Bunny on my Starboard side doing likewise,we got into an engaging position just below the enemy formation and started to pick out our targets.At this juncture the lights went out for me,I did’nt even have enough time to squeeze off my guns,I not sure if I was shot or had collided with something,but what was sure was my end had come very abruptly.

Claims
Destroyed:
Probable:
Damaged:

Lost
Pilot: KIA again!
A/C: Lost again!..........Lord Beaverbrook is personally overlooking the endless supply of Hawker Hurricanes to fulfil my poor Campaign performance :lol:

EDIT: Further to information being made available,P/O Meaker was shot down by a 109.
Last edited by Meaker on Thu May 29, 2014 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bully

Post by Bully » Mon May 26, 2014 11:18 am

Squadron code: SD
Pilot name: Bully
Marking: B for Beer
Serial number: L2038

I had been assigned to Green flight for today's mission, flying alongside P/O Bonkin. We were the last flight to get airborne from Hawkinge, following the 3 other sections of 501.

The Squadron headed up towards Deal, climbing to meet the incoming sausage eaters. Bonkin and myself were at the the back of the group, and sometimes found ourselves separated from the m by a fair distance. We managed to keep visual at all times and caught up when Red Leader pulled a left hand turn mid channel.

615 squadron had gone on ahead and caught sight of the bombers. They radioed over their position and 501 turned to intercept. 109s and Stukas soon appeared over the horizon, and the squadron picked out targets and attacked.

After getting a call from Bonkin to say my six was clear I concentrated on the rapidly approaching targets. I lining up on a group of Stukas towards the middle of the formation, and took aim. Going from right to left, I got good hits on all three, but with the speed I was travelling, did not see how much damage I had done to them.

By the time I had pulled out of my dive, I was a couple of hundred feet below the bombers, and off to their port side. Trying to make radio contact with Bonkin was difficult with all the radio chatter going on, so it was difficult to hear where he was. Starting the climb back up to have another run at the bombers, I saw a Hurricane below me engaged with a 109. I rolled my plane over and joined the fight. The Hun was on the tail of the Hurricane, and closing fast I was about the open up when the 109 broke. Pulling hard right, I was soon almost in range again but had lost speed. Another Hurricane had now joined the battle and got good hits into setting him on fire. I found out later that it was Mauf who had nailed him. He has obviously been down the firing range recently! Good shooting sir!

Green section had now made radio contact and agreed to rendezvous at Dover to meet the next German raid which Red leader was keen to intercept. While over Dover I got jumped by three 109s at angels 3, but managed to avoid damage on their first pass. They came around again, and despite evading the first two, the third got hits, and took out my ailerons.

Now a lame duck I had to get home, so turned my Hurricane towards Hawkinge. Bonkin had also been damaged and was on route to base as well. The troubles were not over for me however, as the 109 wanted to make sure of his kill. Twice more he came and attacked me, both times doing damage. My engine temperature shot up and with I could see that my radiator had been hit. Hawkinge was in sight and I had eyes on Bonkin making an approach, Using my rudder and elevator I changed course so that we would not be landing at the same point.

In fear of my plane falling out the sky I kept the throttle almost fully open as I put my undercarriage and flaps down. The green lights did not light up in my cockpit, so I knew I was in for a bumpy ride if I managed to get down, as my Hurricane was shaking rocking all over the place. I managed to get the plane lined up on the field, but at 50 feet I cut the throttle and the plane lurched to the right, digging my starboard wing into the turf. This catapulted me arse over tip and I ended up upside down with all the blood rushing to my head. The ground crew came rushing over and pulled me out, and I was soon looking around the airfield for something to do.

Claims
Destroyed: N/A
Probable : N/A
Damaged: 3 X JU87

Losses
Pilot - OK
A/C – Upside down

Binkitone

Post by Binkitone » Mon May 26, 2014 12:38 pm

Form 540
Mission 16
Squadron 64
Time: 0700 hrs
Aeroplane: Spitfire 1a (100oct) / SH-W Serial number: K9964

Synopsis:
I was already strapped in waiting for the order to start up engine when the call came, our squadron was parked on the north west side of the airfield, my compass was reading 121°magnetic with the Merlin bursting to life I set the directional giro, prop pitch fine and radiator opened as coolant temperature started to registered. There were a RDF report of contacts only 11 minutes away at angels eleven, yet we been stationary, with engines running for some time, 'why are we not moving?' Nitrous requested several times for 'Freema' to taxi out to runway, finally we were given permission to make our way to the runway's east end. Snaking in a hurry along the perimeter with the sun glaring in eyes, we all gathered facing west, in flight order, Looky gave the command to roll. As Red Two with Venom Red Three and Nitrous, we were the last flight to get airborne.
Climbing steeply while turning right to head northeast towards Deal to support our Hurricane chaps of 501 and 615. We were all pretty spread out, I found myself in the middle, trying to find Red Three and Nitrous.
We were soon at 13000 feet over channel, the French coast in sight, our squadron appeared to split into two after sighting contacts to our left and right, I chose the latter to follow several Spits (presumed to be Red Three and Nitrous?) to find myself eventually approaching Cap Gris Nez at 17000 feet. Hearing that the action was now mainly above Dover at much lower attitudes, so I reversed my heading and descended at increasing speed to witness a enemy group of bombers passing below west inland of Dover. I circled above our convoy outside the harbour to notice a vertical climbing contact, I pursued, on closing, as expected 'yellow tipped wings' identified as a 109, it was now on turning dive to the right, as I closed, I could only give a short burst as it sharply dipped it nose beneath my gun sight (old 109 favourite tactic), I rolled over only to lose sight of it, before I knew it, either my quarrel or it's wingman flew passed me. I immediately had indications of damaged, my right wing had a cannon hole I could put my foot through and a perforated radiator.
Pushing my nose down towards Hawkinge, to avoid any further punishment from lurking 109s, with the intention to RTB.
Unfortunately, my engine gave up just short of the aerodrome. Crash landed on the airfield perimeter, recorded as landed safely?

Claims
Destroyed: 0
Probable: 0
Damaged: 0

Lost
Pilot status: O
A/C : Propeller and wing damaged.

Day 20 – July 29th 1940
The Air Ministry issued a statement saying that German Red Cross sea planes would not be granted immunity unless they were clearly engaged in rescuing downed pilots. Meanwhile, a raid of 48 Stukas and 80 covering Me109s approached Dover.

Vukac
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Vukac » Mon May 26, 2014 2:05 pm

Squadron: No.64 Squadron
Squadron code: "SH"
Pilot name: Vukac
Type: Spitfire Ia 100 octane
Marking:C
Serial number:N3231

After takeoff white group with a white leader No.64-Vranac we went to the left side of the group.
We went to the contacts that were far above the coast of France.
White is a leader exclaimed brake, and see how Mesersmith Spit attacks.
White group whole started to help a friend.
After a few rounds with Mesersmith I stayed because I came down very low over the sea.
I missed it a couple of times, the first burst of fire it is smoked. He tried to turn on me, but I did it in the second attack on fire, and I watched how he ended up in the sea.
When I finished with him, I looked around, and saw a Spit headed to England where over Dover was a great fight.
Of course, I moved to intercept even one enemy plane, and at 6000ft above me I saw two Stukas.
I quickly caught up with them, I eat a comon other a little damaged.
Suddenly I saw two Mesersmitha who have entered into a six.
I came down over the sea, and with damaged guns on the left flank managed to fly to the airport and land.
Claims
Destroyed: 2
Probable:1
Damaged: 1

Lost
Pilot status:ok
A/C :left wing damaged.
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."

Teepee
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Sqn Cdr

Post by Teepee » Mon May 26, 2014 6:20 pm

Pilot name: Flying Officer Teepee
Type: Trusty Hawker Hurricane Mk 1A
Marking: "M for Marvel"
Serial number: N2617

Synopsis:

It was another day and this time we were being led into battle by the Boss. His trip to London has been successful and he even managed to get young Vera Lynn’s autograph for the ground crew chaps. He was itching to get back into the fray and was none too pleased when he found his usual mount, the trusty Hurricane TB-P, was in for a Major servicing. We would now be following SD-K into the scrum against Jerry.

The Boss had decided that today we would split into Red, Blue, Gold and Green Sections. I was to lead Blue Section with the fearless flyers FO Bunny (Blue 2) and PO Meaker (Blue 3) as my wingmen. We all waited with bated breath for the Go. Pretty soon we heard the voice of the Boss crackling in our headsets – ‘Okay Chaps, let’s go’. The early morning stillness was shattered as the sound of the mighty Merlin was heard to bark into life, from all over the airfield, as the trusty Hurricanes and some Spitties started their engines. The fearless 501 Sqn pilots in their formidable Hurricanes were scrambled, followed by the courageous flyers of 615 Sqn in their awesome machines. 64 Sqn made up the rear in their Spitties.

We flew in formation with our steely eyes straining to make out the first glimpse of the Hun. As we climbed steadily we turned towards the Dover area and maintained our search. As we cleared 14,000ft we heard the first cries of contact with the Hun, just out from the French coast. We turned our incredible machines towards France and maintained our climb. Soon we were rewarded with our first glimpse of the black crossed machines – evil Stukas. We set our gun sights to 46 feet and turned our amazing Hurricanes towards the waves of enemy machines.

As the verminous Stukas passed below us I called to Blue Section that we would attack the left wing of the wave. My fearless wingmen confirmed the plan and we dove towards the loathsome aircraft below. I flew beneath the wave of attackers to allow me to attack the Stuka at its vulnerable under belly. I fired my deadly DeWilde mix and saw hits striking beneath the fuselage and work their way forward to beneath the engine. Black smoke belched from the Hun kite and it turned over and dropped down towards the cold dark Channel. I claim 1 x probable Ju87. As I pulled up to clear the formation I noticed the brave PO Meaker was no longer with us. It transpired he had been callously shot down by the deadly rear gunners in the Stukas. A tragic loss it would be a quiet night in the mess, tonight, I mused as I looked for another target.

I then saw the brave FO Bunny engaged in a deadly game of chase with a Me109. I entered the fray, with my wingman, and protected his six while he dealt the Hun some lead in a deadly fashion. He pulled away and I moved in to keep the Hun busy while Bunny repositioned his incredible Hurricane for his next attack. I poured my lead into the pesky Me109 and saw with satisfaction the stream of fuel/glycol emitting from the machine. I broke off and the steely eyed Bunny finished off the vermin. Although we didn’t see the Hun hit the sea we were informed by some of our brave mariners, below, that it had indeed met its doom in the Channel. I claim 1 x Destroyed Me109, shared with FO Bunny. Little compensation for the loss of Meaker.

I then assisted Bunny with yet another verminous Me109. I protected his six while he busied himself with dealing the Hun some British lead, Browning style. I saw Bunny break away and I shouted that I would take up the chase. I pushed the stick forward and my machine became an unbelievable blur as I tore down after the Hun. I started to open fire and the Me109 weaved to avoid my deadly salvoes. I saw some hits strike home and then the Me109 pulled high into a steep climb. My trusty Hurricane followed at a phenomenal speed and suddenly, to my horror, the Me109 filled my entire view forward as it appeared to halt in the sky. Too late I struck the Me109 from below and behind. There was an almighty explosion and next thing I was in my chute gently weaving towards the water and around me there were pieces of the Hun and the graceful fluttering of sections of my trusty Hurricane. The boffins at Hawkers had constructed the marvellous machine to take maximum punishment but even this was beyond the limits of a sturdy machine that is the Hurricane. I don’t know what became of the unfortunate flying the Me109, or whether he survived the encounter. I took no pleasure in ramming a foe from the sky as there is still some honour between we flyers. I make no claim.

I was rescued, not far from Deal, by the brave sailors in their MTB. They dropped me off at Dover and I hitched a ride on a transport wagon that was heading to Hawkinge.
I duly reported to the Sqn Adj who informed me that the chaps in the Ministry were becoming concerned at the numbers of trusty Hurricanes that were failing to return. I simply stated that there was a war on and they should count their blessings we get back to base at all, with or without a machine.

I made my way to the Mess and had the bad news about the brave PO Meaker confirmed from the chaps. We drank some beers to our chum and set about finding some pianos to burn. It was while I was looking in the Mess Annex that I met a nice young French filly from the Hawkinge Ladies Brass Band. She said she had come across from France to assist the war effort. She informed me that she played the French Horn and would I like to see her practice. Naturally I accepted her invitation and told her I also liked to play with my Horn, especially with the French. I suggested we stop off by the Station Band Stand, behind the Mess, where we could open the bottles of wine. I don’t remember anything else after that.

Claims:
Destroyed: 1 x Me109 (Shared with FO Bunny)
Probable: 1 x Me109
Damaged: None

Losses:
Pilot: OK
A/C: Trusty Hurricane all over the Channel.

Tea, Promotion and Medals due for reporting back to duty after yet another swim.

Dange

Post by Dange » Mon May 26, 2014 10:20 pm

Squadron: No. 64 Squadron
Squadron Code: SH
Pilot Name: Dange
Type: Spitfire Ia (100)
Marking:M
Serial number: N 3122

Lifted off from Hawkinge , Blue flight with Luke as lead , Thaine #2 and self #3. Climbed to about 14 K and listened to White flight call out the location and altitude of the incoming enemy aircraft. Blue flight proceeded to engage two 109's , and I lost contact with my flight . Circling mid-channel about 12 K when "Mr." Varanac graciously informed me to BREAK . Which I did and in doing so I saw a 109 closing at my 7 o'clock. Full throttle and pulled back on the stick and he dropped away with ' Mr' V on his six. (result ?)

Heard an update re: enemy ac and id'd two flights of bombers ( Ju 87's ) heading for Dover . Closed and damaged two . Took a few hits and saw I was on reserve , so I dove to the deck towards Hawkinge and landed.

The Boffers gunners , aside from being rookies , were quite good .

Claims........
Destroyed:
Probable:
Damaged:2 x Ju 87's

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Tue May 27, 2014 10:39 am

Squadron Code: SD
Pilot Name: Sabre
Type: Hawker Hurricane MkI 100 Octane
Marking: ‘S’ for Sugar
Serial:P3397

Based at RAF Hawkinge, I was designated as Gold 2,with PO Robo taking command as Gold Leader and Sergeant Flick as Gold 3.

We lined up on the runway at Hawkinge and prepared for take off. I had been a little unhappy when I arrived at the old girl to find the ground crew still fiddling around with the engine although the Chief had ensured me all was well I wasn't filled with confidence. Never been a one for last minute tinkering.

The call soon came and the Squadron were soon thundering across the strip and quickly got formed up before climbing easterly over the south coast of Kent. The old girl wasn't her usual sprightly self and soon the engine started spluttering and I was unable to hold position with PO Robo. To compound matters my radio was playing up and I could here the CO telling me to sort out the damned racket I was making. By now the engine lacked any sort of power and unable to contact the rest of the Squadron I decided to turn back to Hawkinge and take out my fury on the ground crew.

Claims
Destroyed: None
Probable: None
Damaged: None

Lost
Pilot: OK but furious!
A/C: OK - waiting for a damned good service, which I'm assured the old girl will get!
No.111 (Fighter) Squadron - "Adstantes" - Standing by
"Worry only on the things you can influence and accept there are things beyond your control"

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Tue May 27, 2014 5:41 pm

Pilot name: Bunny
Type: Hawker Hurricane I
Marking: "N for Nuts"
Serial number: P3084

The indefatigable F/O Teepee had led us into battle yesterday whilst W/Co Osprey had been pulled from active service at last minute to perform some morale gig in the old smoke - headlining with George Formby no less! I mean, rumour had it the CO was quite tactile on his eukelele, and could give it a damnably good thrum and thrash so hard it'd make his (and your) eyes water. So whilst the front row at the old Pally were getting an eyeful of his fingers at work, we'd had the pleasure of Teepee in front.

Today was back to some sort of normality, if you could call anything about this god-forsaken war normal. What was normal was the precision control the CO had over his squadron. Today we were given colours - Red, Green, Blue and Gold. I was placed in Blue with FO Teepee as Blue Leader and PO Meaker as Blue 3, myself taking up the 4 o'clock position of Blue 2 in our vic. Blue, the house of Windsor, fitting for men such as our calibre, although I can't imagine a Hewitt ever being linked to the Royals any time soon in history.

No sooner as you could say "With My Little Stick of Blackpool Rock", we were in the air and heading towards Dover, to rendevous with the rest of the wing at Dover. At around 15,000ft enemy aircraft were spotted on radar, heading for our coastline. A heated debate between Panta squadron and our CO over who should have first stab at the bosh pigs, saw us getting first dibs - huzzah! We had time - they were currently near Calais, higher than us at angels 18, so we had time to get some height.

Around six minutes later and there they were - a line of black bombers were on our low 10 o'clock now, neatly arranged for a damned good pants-down thrashing. "Rads open lads", came the shout - "Get stuck in - tally ho!" Panta were already in there, so much for us getting the virgin shots in. Freema were also in the area, hopefully putting their Spits to good use against any fighter escorts the bombers might be trailing. Just before we dropped to the left to engage the bombers, Osprey called out the known fighter escort locations he was picking up on comms. In a nutshell, they were everywhere; the bombers' flanks, below us, co-alt with us - take your pick. Blue Leader decided to drop to the right instead, and Meaks and myself followed his lead. We wheeled over and dropped into the enemy - Stukas! A few were already trailing fluid from holes our lads had punched into them.

We shouted out our intentions; "Right-hand side Blue Leader", I called, every sinew tense for the drop. "Going for the left-hand side", from Meaker, enthusiastic as ever about the turn of events. I shot through the Stukas, like a harpoon through a barrel of bloated, oily-black fish - fat and over-fed on wurst. I saw hits strike the target's starboard wing, flashes of DeWilde hitting. Almost in unison Blue flight pulled up from the fight to turn and make another charge. I could see my target was still flying straight and true - damn. As I reached the top of my roll, Norma (I had to name the old girl, seeing as though we spend so much time together!), went into a flat spin, upside down! Bloody hell - was such a thing possible?! The blood had no idea where to flood to - my head, my hands, my feet?! I could feel my stomach turning somersaults, my heart was pounding as it struggled to function. "Think, damnit, Bunny - think!". Usual procedure was to cut the engine and nose down, let the aircraft find its footings so to speak. Engine cut. Still spinning though. Of course, I was upside down, I needed to raise the nose! I pulled hard, on the column, with all the strength I had left. The nose pulled up, which of course was down, and slowly old Norma started descending in a controlled dive. My heart leapt, I could feel my arms and legs functioning, although there was a slight tingling sensation as the blood-flow returned to normal. I opened the boost and immediately picked out the next target. "Going for the main group" came Osprey's decisive voice over comms. "Left-hand this time" from the ever-relaxed Teepee - did anything ever shake this chap? I picked out a lone Stuka on the right of the formation, and closed the gap, letting off short bursts as I did so. Hits all round, I saw him start trailing what looked like fuel, or some other clear liquid. He wouldn't be going home. I pulled off, watched him as I looped and saw another Hurricane laying into him. I claim him Probable and shared with an unknown.

As I hung above the formations of Stukas, Teepee shouted he was going back in again, left-hand side of the three below us. I took up the middle, as the right-hand Stuka was already badly shot up. My pass was quick - hits on his port wing, then off and up again. He was venting, and I could see the tracers of Teepee hitting the same aircraft. Again, another shared probable. Around for a third pass on the left-hand Stuka who we'd not hit yet and my approach was a bit too fast. I let some bullets off but didn't see any hit, and rather than lose energy, I pulled up. "Watch yourself Bunny, I think you have a 109 on your tail", from Teepee. "Roger that!" Mauf and Osprey were also tangling with something, I think another 109; they were finally getting to us - now the fun really would begin! Teepee called out I'd lost the 109, so I wheeled back in on the Stukas again - they were, after all, the buggers intent on dropping their bombs on England. I pulled up to the middle-most Stuka, hits to wing and fuselage, and he peeled off to the right, venting, dropping as he did so. I claim this destroyed.

I kept my height and looked around - Stukas were thin on the ground (well, thick on the ground and thin in the skies if you will), but there was still plenty of action. I watched a streaming 109 go into a spin, attempting to catch another Hurri. "Blue section - where are you?", came Teepee's voice. I mentioned the 109, who had managed to stay on the Hurricane, and so I followed him down to help out. I managed to get some hits on him, introducing a thin black line of liquid into his up-to-then white trail. The oil line, excellent - that would do for him. "Bagged a shared" I cried. "So did I" exclaimed Teepee, it turned out we were playing with the same 109! Later we heard it was all seen from the deck of HMY Gulzar, the last ship to leave Calais a few weeks earlier, rescuing our brave chaps from the beaches there where the hun had driven them, under gunfire. She was now based at Dover, and the crew had watched our assault on the Germans, only to have their ship bombed later on in the day Luckily no one was on board at the time - small mercies, and a sad end for such a proud yacht.

Teepee and I formed up as we headed towards Dover harbour at angels 5. I called out a 109 below me, and broke right to engage. He reached the harbour, and I could see he was chasing a venting Hurricane - I hope he made it down safely. The 109 began a long steep climb, unaware I was on his tail with plenty of energy to follow. At the peak of his climb I let a long stream off and damaged his tail plane. Teepee watched my six at all times. The 109 extended out to sea, and we both stayed with him, hoping that our undamaged aircraft could keep up. I pulled the tit and closed the radiator as much as I dare, following him in a shallow climb to the left. With my air speed dropping I closed the tit, wary of blowing the engine. The 109 broke right, I broke off and handed the reigns to Teepee who let some shots off at him. I went to check out a contact on our six, who turned out to be a Hurricane, and in turn lost eyes on Blue Leader as there were around four aircraft in the immediate vicinity, not including myself. As I turned, looking for Teepee, everything went black.

Claims
Destroyed: 1 x Ju87 1 x 109 (shared with F/O Teepee)
Probable: 2 x Ju87 (shared - one with F/O Teepee)
Damaged: 1 x Ju87

Losses
Pilot: KIA
A/C: KIA

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams