Kanalkampf. Mission 17: 5th August 1940

RAF flight reports for the epic ACG Historical Campaign - "Peace In Our Time" covering the Fall of France and the Battle of Britain. We are recruiting new pilots so you can join this - post in the Reception to request a seat. This forum is publically viewable.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Spud

Re: Kanalkampf. Mission 17: 5th August 1940

Post by Spud » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:02 pm

Squadron: No.615 Squadron
Squadron Code: KW
Pilot Name: Spud
Date: 5th August 1940
Time: 08:00
Aerodrome: Hawkinge
Type: Hurricane Mk I Rotol
Marking: R for Robert

Took off in Yellow 3 position with Johnny as lead and Midge as Yellow 2. After a bit of chaos on the runway, we finally made it off. But by this time elements were separated and joining up with whomever they could. I stayed with Yellow 1 and climbed towards Dover to Angels 14. We then sprinted across the channel towards Cap Griz Nes. The bombers were spotted below us and Yellow Flight was assigned to fly top cover. Yellow 1 and I climbed to starboard, looking for snappers. We didn't have to look long. One came across from my 11 o'clock level. I put a good burst into him as Yellow 1 attacked his wingman. Both huns dove away streaming smoke and glycol. Having lost sight of my leader, I broke hard to port in an attempt to re-aquire him when the screen went black....... Damn PK...... No airplane damage either. ALT F2 showed my trusty crate flying in a slow left hand circle. No holes in it. No venting. No visible damage...... Just a dead pilot. Maybe it was something I ate????

Claims:
Destroyed: 0
Probable: 1 BF-109
Damaged: 0

Loses:
Pilot: Killed
A/C: in perfect working order until it eventually flew itself into the ground.
Last edited by Spud on Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes........ I AM what's wrong with the world today....... Deal with it!!

Teepee
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Sqn Cdr

Post by Teepee » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:39 pm

Squadron: No.501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron code: "SD"
Pilot name: Flying Officer Teepee
Type: Trusty Hawker Hurricane Mk 1A
Marking: "M for Marvel"
Serial number: N2617

Synopsis:

The battle continued for yet another day. The Boss would lead us, once again, and I would lead Blue Section. Today my wingmen would be the fearless Sgt Flick (Blue 2) and Cpl Azref (Blue 3). Both of these chaps had been with the Squadron since the early days of the Battle for France, so they both knew how to handle the awesome Hurricane when things got a bit rough. Jerry had better watch out or he was in for a damn good thrashing!

Once again the sound of the mighty Merlin broke the silence of the dawn across the airfield. ‘Let’s go Boys’ the Boss had called over the radio. The airfield was alive with the mass of formidable Hurricanes carrying their crew to the take-off point. The ground crew had worked their miracles and we had almost a full Sqn turnout for the impending scrap with the Hun. I reminded myself to get another crate of Badgers Bollocks for the engineers. The local villagers were at the crash gates, as usual, waving to the fearless pilots in their Hawkers Miracle Machines. I waved to a particularly cute, young filly standing by the wind sock. I saw she wore the uniform of the local Land Army and I couldn’t wait for the next visit to the Mess, by their contingent.

Red Section led the way, followed by Blue, Green and Gold Sections. Gold Section was piloted by one of those foreign types. He appeared to relish being the only pilot in his Section and yet his tally was amazing. ‘Gold Section must have Gold Bollocks’ was muttered by a mystery caller over the R/T. The Boss remonstrated with Gold Section but it was no use, these chaps couldn’t wait to get stuck into Jerry.

We climbed steadily in our amazing machines and headed out towards the French coast. We had been vectored towards Cape Gris Nez and saw the mass of enemy machines headed towards us. Just as the Boss gave the ‘Tally Ho’ a shout warned of fighters above. I turned my section towards the Me109s and prepared to give the Hun my DeWilde welcome. I fired a very long burst, seeing hits strike home but was warned of being sixed by another. I broke off the attack and dived for safety. The Hurricane may be a truly amazing, fighting machine but it can’t take on four pesky 109s at once. At the bottom of the dive I arrived just outside Folkstone Harbour so I decided to land at Hawkinge to replenish my depleted ammo. I had given Jerry a very long welcome. I claim 1 x Damaged 109.

Back into the air I steered my incredible Chariot towards the Cape, climbing all the way. The chaps had given the evil Hun a good pasting and I could hear cries of ‘Where are the enemy?’ over the R/T. I managed to rendezvous with the fearless 501 pilots of Gold Section (PO Robo) and the leader of Green Section (PO Bonkin). We scanned around and below from our advantageous height and I then spotted a verminous 109 and descended after him to extend my DeWilde welcome. I fired a satisfying burst into his fuselage but as he turned I followed and my tremendous speed caused me to momentary black out. Luckily the amazing Hurricane was built to take this sort of treatment and as I relaxed my grip on the stick she levelled out and I regained my consciousness. Luckily for the 109 I was unable to continue my devastating attack and it evaded me. Unluckily for the 109 Golden Bollocks was now on his tail and pouring his concentrated fire into the hapless foe. PO Robo pulled away when some other chaps turned up for the party. The 109 was now desperate and dropped down to the sea and sped inland. The other chaps left him but I continued the chase hoping to despatch the black crossed harbinger of doom into an untimely grave. We sped inland and I fired intermittently hoping to score the vital shot that would deal Jerry the Ace of Spades. It wasn’t to happen. I knew my ammo was getting low and the pesky Hun was evading knowing his life depended on it. We neared the enemy airfield and the Hun waggled his wings and dropped his gear to land. I just couldn’t bring myself to shoot down a defenceless flyer so he was spared. After he landed I gave a low flypast to let him know that the chap on his tail was a trusty Hurricane. I later found out, from underground sources at MI5, that the flier was a Unterfeldwebel Grey. At least he would make the bus to the Moulin Rouge, tonight. Not many others would. I claim 1 x Damaged 109.

I headed back to Hawkinge and made the usual Hurricane style, text book landing. The crew chief was pleased to see the trusty war horse and even more pleased when I deposited a crate of Badgers in the crew room. The Sqn Adj was given my flight report and I then made my way to the Mess to see the chaps and burn some pianos. It was while I was there that amazingly I met the nice young filly, from the Land Army, I had seen earlier. She told me that she had always wanted to get into a Hurricane cockpit to imagine she was sitting on seat and moving to the throbbing power from the mighty Merlin. She asked me if I could make her day. I agreed, naturally, and told her it would probably make my day too. I suggested we stop at the Dispersal Hut, on the way there, to open the bottles of wine. I don’t remember anything else after that.

Claims:
Destroyed: None
Probable: None
Damaged: 2 x Me109 (1 shared with Gold Section)

Losses:
Pilot: OK
A/C: Completely Serviceable with Badgers to the engineers

Tea, Promotion and Medals due for sparing Unterfeldwebel Grey in combat.

Fang

Post by Fang » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:41 pm

Squadron code: "SD"
Pilot name: Sgt. Fang
Type: Trusty Hawker Hurricane Mk 1A
Marking: "F for Freddie"
Serial number: L1953

Flying as part of Green flight lead by Bonkin we scrambled and vectored to patrol the coast line, managed to locate large bomber formation which turned back when they encountered us. Bounced by a 109 and killed whilst sat in my chair, very poor show and bad day.

Claims:
Probable: None
Damaged: None

Losses:
Pilot: Lost
A/C: Lost

Midge

Post by Midge » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:19 am

Squadron: No.615 "County of Surrey"Squadron
Squadron code: WK
Pilot name: Midge
Airfield: Hawkinge
Aircraft type: Hawker Hurricane 1
Aircraft marking: C
Serial no: P2564

Hawkinge again at readiness, the wing was able to put up a good show with very few aircraft non operational.I had a feeling that the Hun would be around in force today,but still the chaps were in good form in preperation for hitting the Hun hard,much talk of No.501's ground based gunnery,Baron seeking out the new chaps to sell them his wares and the Boss showing a keen interest in the wartime British tea industry!

I was flying as Yellow2,Johnny was flight leader in his magnificently livered aircraft and Spud as yellow3.
We got the start up call and taxied to the take off field[calling it a runway would be a bit much what with the Huns secret mole army] and began to pull in behind No.501.There was a bit of a kerfuffle with a crashed Hurricane,some chaps taking off and some waiting for No.64 to take off but we got wheels up and followed No.501 to give fellows across the channel a good seeing too"ahem"

The enemy was spotted 3 waves of bombers and snappers high,yellow section was ordered to climb and engage the fighters,I gave the Merlin full boost and started to climb,yellow leader and yellow3 dived on a contact and i started to follow but got bounced myself i broke left and a Me109 flashed past me diving down,he pulled up and went high i got some shots off but was starting to stall at the time .Pulling right and gaining energy i saw 3 contacts and engaged a Me109 he broke high and left with me following ,again i got a couple of bursts on him he dived and made a home run for France i followed but he started to pull away i gave him a couple of long range bursts but soft lad that i was blew the engine chasing him damnit!

I made a hard landing next to those big tower thingy's near dover"mums the word" where i was offered a mug of tea by a northern beauty!

Claims: non

Losses:

aircraft: Very bent
Pilot: Peeved but fine

Vukac
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Vukac » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:42 am

Squadron: No.64 Squadron
Squadron code: "SH"
Pilot name: Vukac
Date: 5 August 1940
Time: 08.00
Base: Hawkinge
Type: Spitfire Ia 100 octane
Marking:C
Serial number:N3231

As always, the leader of the white group asked us whether we are ready for take off."Ready!" We answer all of your voice.
Immediately after takeoff, follow the White leader who tells us to go to the left.I started to look on the floor of the cockpit photo of my girls, and for a moment I dropped the controller!
Uh!I almost crash!
I made a circle and turned again towards the channel.All were high and far away from me!
In a few minutes I approached and saw in my 2 hours Hun bobardere!No, no, I say to myself! I'm not going to do anything independently without orders. If Vranac again see that I'm troublesome, I will be punished 100%! :oops:
Hurricanes entered the fight.I can not wait anymore, I could not wait permission!
The first thing I saw was that the two Me109 attacked a Huricane!I dove between them, and hits the first Me109 in rep, who flees home.He catching two Hurricanes and shoot down!Good work guys!!!
I notice an Me110 flying to Dover,and comon him right engine and lakšao job for two Hurricanes.
From the Dover one Me109 trying to escape the home and proceed it after 3 minutes which ends in flames.
I'll be back after a few laps in the Hawkinge,successfully landed!
Claims:
Destroyed: 1x Bf 109
Probable: 1x Bf 110
Damaged: 1x Bf 109

AC: OK.
Pilot: OK
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."

Baron le Scrope

Post by Baron le Scrope » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:17 am

Squadron: No615.
Squadron code: "KW"
Pilot name:Baron.
Date: 5th August 1940.
Time: 08:00hrs.
Base: Hawkinge.
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia[Seems to have an afinity with mother earth
Marking:B for beer.
Serial number: P3231

Took off from Hawkinge as Blue 2 with W/O Hollywood replacing F/O Random as leader, the latter suffering from engine misfires.
An incident mid field interupted an otherwise smooth take off but seperated some of the chaps untill they gradually sorted themselves out. F/O Random caught up with us in his replacement kite and i formed up on him as i had lost W/O Hollywood in the ground incident.

Eventually spotted the hun and followed F/O Random in a left hand descent to engage the bombers, there was certainly plenty to choose from, just about to fire when my trusty Hurricane was hit in the engine and a third of my starboard wing parted company. Both ailerons were u/s and had to steer with the rudder.

Headed back to base but the poor merlin gave up the ghost and i had to bail.

Claims: o

Damaged: o

Losses: 1 a/c
Pilot:OK,hit the silk
A/C. destroyed again! I have just invented a book, i'm calling it"The Guiness book of Records"after an Irish famous brew.Please donate.
Antec 900 case,/ Sabertooth P67 MoBo,/ Intel corei7 2600cpu-/- MSI GTX 970 4G Graphics, --WD-1Tb Velociraptor HDD--16g Corsair 2133Mhz Ram/-- Corsair TX 850w PSU /--Samsung40"led TV, TrackiR5, CH J/sick. Warthog Throttle. Corsair Vengeance 2100 H/set/mike. W10 Pro 64, /---Two slightly depressed teabags.

Think nothing of it sir, it was the least I could do, a quantity I specialize in.

Bully

Post by Bully » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:03 pm

Squadron code: SD
Pilot name: Bully
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia
Marking: B for Beer
Serial number: L2038

Took off as Red Three, Following Osprey & Mauf as Red Leader and red 2 respectively. Caught sight of the bombers just off for France, and followed Red leader into attack. I got hits on two of the enemy Heinkels, and much to the Wing Commanders delight, they turned tail and headed back to their friendly bases.

Still with eyes on Red Leader, I attacked the bombers with one more pass, unloaded a lot of ammo in the port wing of an HE-111. He started to leak, and fell away from the group. I did not see him go in, but he couldn't have made it back to friendly territory judging by the way he was falling away.

I then received a call over the radio to leave the bombers, and headed back and engage the fighters. As I turned back towards England, three 109s had started to attack me from my 5 o'clock high. They were closing fast, and after getting a shout from Osprey, I broke and lost altitude to escape.

Now down at angels 8, I flew away form the combat and climbed back up to get back to try and aid Red Leader, who was engaged with bandits. I did not make it time, but I saw him bail out and float down to safety.

There were contacts mid channel, at angles 8, but despite catching a glimpse of the odd 109, most seemed friendly. Low on ammo, and with enemies fast being shot down or fleeing for France, I decided to return to base to make sure I missed getting the round in and the bar.

Claims
Destroyed: N/A
Probable : 1 x He-111
Damaged: 2 x HE-111

Losses
Pilot - OK
A/C – OK

Random

Post by Random » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:39 am

Squadron: No. 615 "County of Surrey" Squadron
Squadron Code: KW
Pilot Name: Random
Date: 5 August 1940
Time: 0730
Type: Hawker Hurricane 1
Marking: N
Serial Number:

Synopsis: After a lot of trouble lining up took off and headed to Dover as Red 1, never enjoy when the boss is away. Made contact with enemy mid channel between calais and dover. Yellow section instructed to stay high and watch for fighters while red and blue dived in on the trailing bomber formations. I made a pass at a HE111 and the dewilde did its job admirably. Smoke and flames shooting from his starboard wing. I broke off up and right and received a belly full of machinegun fire for my troubles. Quick shoulder check confirmed radiator was damaged as I could see a trail of steam behind me but also revealed my HE111 breaking formation and descending still trailing smoke. Attempted one more attack before heading for base. Unfortunately I was rapidly overheating and the engine sounded a little unhappy. Broke off and managed to hit the coast before the engine seized up. Crash landed in some woods about half a mile short of Hawkinge. Miracle I only got a bump on my bonce and nothing broken!

Claims
Destroyed:
Probable: 1 HE111
Damaged:

Losses
Pilot: Concussed and irritable
A/C: Crash landed, total loss

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:58 am

Squadron code: SD
Pilot name: Sabre
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia
Marking: S for Sugar
Serial number: P3397

Took off as Green Two with PO Bonkin as Green Leader and Sergeant Fang as Green Three. After patrolling for a while the enemy bombers were spotted just off the coast of France and the CO commenced the attack. As we turned to engage the bombers some 109's were spotted at higher altitude so Green Flight stayed up to engage the "Snappers". There seemed to be more friendly aircraft than Hun but I eventually spotted a 109 trailing another Hurricane and turned to engage, he seemed oblivious to my presence at first and I managed to get some shots on him without causing serious damage and he broke off his attack.

There were contact calls mid channel and just off the coast of France but the Bombers it seemed had headed home and the odd straggler 109's were being chased by Hurricanes or Spitfires. With the last aircraft seemingly dealt with I headed home with Bonkin, Teepee and Robo from 501 and landed safely at Hawkinge.

Claims
Probable : None
Damaged: 1 x Me109

Losses
Pilot - OK
A/C – OK
No.111 (Fighter) Squadron - "Adstantes" - Standing by
"Worry only on the things you can influence and accept there are things beyond your control"

Luke

Post by Luke » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:46 pm

Squadron: No.64 Squadron
Squadron code: "SH"
Pilot name: Luke
Type: Spitfire Ia
Marking: R

Claims 1
Destroyed: none
Probable: 1