Adlerangriff - Mission #21 : 12th August 1940 - 1200

RAF flight reports for the epic ACG Historical Campaign - "Peace In Our Time" covering the Fall of France and the Battle of Britain. We are recruiting new pilots so you can join this - post in the Reception to request a seat. This forum is publically viewable.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Binkitone

Re: Adlerangriff - Mission #21 : 12th August 1940 - 1200

Post by Binkitone » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:22 pm

Form 540
Mission 21
Squadron 64
Date: 12th August 1940
Time: 1150 hrs
Aerodrome: Kenley
Aeroplane: Spitfire 1a (100oct) / SH-W Serial number: K9964

Synopsis:
Late taking off as Red Two with Gromic leading as Red One, Raptor as Red Three on the right, following behind Green Flight while contending with a cross wind, things got a bit dicey before we had wheels up.
While in tight right turn at ten thousand feet among many contacts, I suddenly suffered hits, engine stopped, no ailerons, found myself in an uncontrollable steep spiral dive, manage to bailed out at about five thousand feet over Manston.

Claims
Destroyed:0
Probable: 0
Damaged:0

Lost
Pilot status: OK
A/C : lost

Deeside

Post by Deeside » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:02 pm

Squadron: No. 64 Squadron
Squadron Code: SH
Pilot Name: Deeside
Type: Spitfire Ia 100 octane
Marking: K
Date: 11th August 1940, 1150 hrs
Base: Kenley

Flying again as Green 3, we were attacked by 109s at Angels 10 near Manston. Almost collided with one e/a, opened fire, but didn't see any hits. Later, I got off a few shots at a group of Stukas approaching Manston, but was jumped by a 109 and received some damage. On returning to base, I was unable to lower the landing gear and had to use the emergency manual equipment. Landed successfully.

Claims:

Destroyed: 0
Damaged: 0

Losses:

Pilot: OK
Aircraft: Minor damage

Teepee
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Sqn Cdr

Post by Teepee » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:59 pm

Squadron: No.501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron code: "SD"
Pilot name: Flying Officer Teepee
Time: 1200
Aerodrome: RAF Gravesend
Type: Trusty Hawker Hurricane Mk 1A
Marking: "M for Marvel"
Serial number: N2617

Synopsis:

The Wing has now been deployed to fly from RAF Gravesend, in Kent. This airfield is a stone’s throw from the Capital and 11 Group has decided we must now take the fight to the enemy from here. My trusty Hurricane has been recovered from the Isle of Wight and the Crew Chief has worked his customary miracles to recover my amazing machine to full serviceability. I was to lead Blue Section and my wingmen for today were the fearless heroes PO Meaker (Blue 2) and LAC Toxic (Blue 3). Both of these chaps had shown themselves to be bloody good blokes and made of stern stuff. Jerry was in for a pasting!

There were none of the usual pre-flight games being played, today. The early morning flight had reported mixing it with Jerry as he was hitting our RDF Stations. There was also a convoy of sorely needed supplies making its way up the Thames estuary and our brief was to protect the ships as best we could. We had strapped into our awesome Hurricanes and waited. It didn’t take long before the order to scramble was heard. We climbed at unbelievable speed in our marvel machines and headed out to the South Coast near Deal. Nearing 20,000ft we saw the hordes of enemy 109s streaming contrails above us and we gave chase. The heroic 615 Sqn Hurricanes and 64 Sqn Spitties were already mixing it with the Hun and the sounds of battle were heard over the R/T.

I led Blue Section in pursuit of a 109 who appeared not to notice our amazing battle steeds closing in for a kill. Suddenly, the hapless 109 dived for cover but we didn’t follow wishing, instead, to keep our superior position at altitude. Over the R/T came the news we had been waiting for. The enemy Ju87s had been seen nearing the convoy and we needed no second invite to join this party. I descended with Blue Section until we saw the evil black crossed harbingers of doom below us. The Ju87s were flying at about 3,000 ft in a formation that positively begged our incredible Hurricanes to knock them down.

I elected to take on the left section, Blue 2 selected the right section and Blue 3 went for the centre section. I extended my now customary DeWilde welcome to the nearest Ju87 and it went down with the engine burning. I saw it hit the cold waters of the Channels and claim 1 x Ju87 destroyed. ‘These boys won’t be frequenting the Place de la Concorde tonight’ I muttered to myself. ‘Bang goes their bottle of wine and a French tart’ I also muttered. I heard the rest of Blue Section extending a similar welcome to the black crossed crates. I pulled my unbelievable machine into a climb and settled behind my next victim. I fired slightly below the Ju87 so that my rounds hit the engine area from below. It worked and the Ju87 dropped like a stone into the inevitable spiral of doom before hitting the waters. I believe my kill was confirmed by the brave PO Bully so I also claim another 1 x Ju87 destroyed. This party was beginning to swing as the rest of Blue Section were also giving Jerry a damn good thrashing. Once again I positioned my Hawkers marvel machine behind a Ju87 and fired. Again the vermin was hit with the deadly lead salvo and again the engine caught fire resulting in a third deadly death dive. I believe this kill was confirmed by Blue 2 so I claim a third Ju87 destroyed.

I was now Winchester and called to my Section that I would make for Manston before my luck ran out. The brave PO Meaker similarly called out his intention to head for Ramsgate as he was suffering battle damage. The boffins at Hawkers had designed the mighty Hurricane to absorb battle damage but not even a Hurricane could make the distance back to Gravesend in that condition – so Ramsgate it was. Blue 3 was enjoying the skirmish so much that he continued the fight with the rest of 501 Sqn who were still airborne.

I managed a near perfect touchdown, at Manston, but was saddened to hear that the brave PO Meaker had to ditch his amazing war machine just outside Ramsgate. Still, we could make last orders at the bar later on. I met with my heroic colleague and we waved down the crew bus to take us back to Gravesend. The Station would send a recovery team for my trusty steed. We made it back to base and briefed the Sqn Adj on our exploits. He was amazed and told us that Jerry had suffered a damn good thrashing today at the hands of our brave fighter jocks. I accompanied ‘Meaks’ to the Mess bar where we ordered some Badgers and looked for a piano to burn, along with the rest of the chaps.

It was while I was at the bar that I met a particularly nice young filly who turned out to be a Dog Handler with the RAF Police. She told me that she was excited today because there had been a couple of new pups delivered, by the Station Vet. She asked me if I was interested in having a look at the new arrivals. I agreed, naturally, and told her that the thought of getting my hands on her young puppies was topmost in my mind. I suggested we could stop off at the Station Kennel Club where we could open the bottles of wine. I don’t remember anything else after that.

Claims:
Destroyed: 3 x Ju87
Probable: None
Damaged: None

Losses:
A/C: Landed Serviceable at Manston – even more badgers for the Crew Chief

Tea, Cakes and Medals due for improving security procedures.

Meaker

Post by Meaker » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:13 am

Squadron: No. 501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron Code: SD
Pilot Name: ‘Meaks’ Meaker
Date: 12 Aug 1940 1200
Base: Gravesend
Type: Hawker Hurricane Mk1 100 Oct
Marking: G for George

COMBAT FLIGHT RECORD

I was given the honour once again by flying as wingman to Blue Leader,the warrior known to 501 Squadron as F/O Teepee,and had the added pleasure with teaming up with LAC Toxic as our Blue three for the first time.

Following Blue Leader from the taxi area onto the main runway at Gravesend,I noticed my undercarriage lights were not showing their normal green brilliance and began to wonder if my aircraft had a problem.The order to go was given by the C/O,and we all tore down the short strip to get airborne,but as I got up speed my undercarriage collapsed and I was left belly down and sitting alone on the main Gravesend runway,bugger it! I thought.

After a quick sprint to the hangars a spare Sydney Camm marvel machine was made available to me,and I set off in pursuit of my Squadron,finding them just about to make for North Foreland.Blue Leader kindly gestured where he was by a quick ‘waggle’ of his 40ft winspan,and I dutifully slotted back into formation.

I followed Blue Leader up to Angels 20 towards the coast at Deal before we all broke as 109’s had been spotted and we were now tracking one of the blighters before he dived away from us.We still had the advantage of height when we pounced on some happless Stukas making their bomb runs towards the English Coast.

We got into position for an attack on their six o’clock,as Blue Leader led us in he shouted back over the R/T,I’m going for the left side,I retaliated the call by shouting,I’ll take the rightside,and LAC Toxic made it clear to us both he was going to go for the center.Blue section over the next few moments had a ball striking at the hun invader,we knocked them for six! and after confirming a clear kill from Blue Leader,I to was gifted a bag of my own,as my Ju87 target was engulfed by fire and was soon sent packing southwards into the Channel below,confirmed by Blue Leader.

But the fun on our part came swiftly to an end as I was attacked by 109’s,my instrument panel took a direct hit and shards of glass filled my cockpit and partially blinded me.I took evasive action and lost the assailants but realised I was very badly injured so made a call to Blue Leader over the R/T that I would have to make an emergency landing at Manston,he responded that he too was heading back.

Blood from my injuries had splashed onto my windscreen and had made it near impossible for me to see through,but I had to get my kite back I did’nt want to drop it into the brink,and I was probably now to low to bail.
As we neared the North Foreland my kite began to give out on me,and I dropped even lower,critically now,the engine was starting to pack in,I shouted to Blue Leader that I’d have to pancake at Ramsgate instead of Manston,and glided very awkwardly towards the runway there.

With the runway in sight,gear down,flaps down and canopy open I managed to land comfortably without further issues,and again made contact with Blue Leader to inform him I had made it back safe.Boy what a marvellous machine,you saved my life,at one point I really thought I was really done for,thank you Sydney Camm I thought to myself as the Ramsgate fire and rescue crews came tearing up to me.......''You alright Guvnor?''

I was helped from my cockpit and was stretchered away to hospital,before later in the evening being transferred back by crew bus to my Squadron.

As I got stuck into the ‘Badgers Bollocks’ that night with F/O Teepee the events of the day seemed to be forgotten,and as for our brave Blue Leader,well he was now up on the tables,his cap back to front and with his Banjo singing ‘Four and twenty virgins’his favourite Squadron song, I was amazed at the energy he still had in him,as he bellowed out his song...........

‘’ Four and twenty virgins came down from Inverness,
And when the ball was over there were four and twenty less,
Singing "Balls to you father, backs against the wall,
If you don't get shagged on Saturday night you'll never get shagged at all".

Oh,I contemplated,...halcyon days,smiled and went up to the bar to get another round in.

Claims:
Destroyed: 1 x Ju87
Probable: 1 x Ju87
Damaged: 1 x Ju87

Losses:
Pilot: Wounded in the face from broken instrument panel glass
A/C: Badly shot up,but nothing the canvas repairers can't fix,as for the instrument panel I think the aircraft will have to go back to Hawker for a refit.

Midge

Post by Midge » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:50 pm

Squadron: No.615_"County of surrey" squadron
Squadron code: KW
Pilot name: Midge
Time: 11.50
Aerodrome: Kenley
Type: Hawker Hurricane-mk1 [rotol]
Marking: C for[a right one] Charlie
Serial no: 2564

Kenley what a fine place[home sweet home] --task a patrol over a convoy somewhere around AW28.Only 64 and 615 at home today,501 were on a away day at Gravesend.The squadron painters Van Gough and Co just finished the wonderfull livery of C for Charlie in time for squadron start up
Panta formed up after a bit of a cuffufel,me as blue 4 and take off was without incident.We shook out over Maidstone and headed for the coast,the enemy[109's] were spotted left and high we hoped to sneak past but no such luck,they pulled in behind blue section we banked to the left.one of the evil buggers decided i was the"target for today" i got a break call and pulled even harder while trying to keep my speed up i thought i had lost him but either chummy or chummy's wingman raked me and then black.

Claims:

Destroyed 0
Probable 0
Damaged 0

Losses:

Pilot dead as
Aircraft Destroyed

Bully

Post by Bully » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:51 pm

Squadron code: SD
Pilot name: Bully
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia
Marking: B for Beer
Serial number: L2038

It was good to be back.

A few weeks away in the big smoke had come at the right time. In need a of a rest from the continuous days of combat, I had left the brave boys of 501 to stick it to the Luftwaffe the only way that 501 could.

After catching the early morning train back from London, I had arrived at Gravesend station by mid-morning. The walk back to the airbase soon brought back memories of previous encounters with the Hun, and the brave & gallant pilots who I had the honor to fly with. But, as the base loomed into view, I was relieved to see that my loyal ground crew, Chantelle, Neomi & Monique were still on duty. It was always a fear that wondering hands from would entice them away, but the boys of 501 could always be trusted around another pilots sexy ground crew.

A quick check of the essential with the girls, and i was back! I headed over to my trusty Hurricane to make sure all was well. The base was relatively quite, with only he sound of clinking spanners and fuel trucks driving from fuel tanks to aircraft and back again. The ambiance was was soon broken when from behind a blast pen I heard a cry -

'Oh for gods sake Mauf, pay attention!'

I ran round the corner to find my squadron mates partaking in a game of cricket. Osprey, by now in a fit of rage, was trying to teach Mauf the benefit of a good forwards defensive stroke. Meaker, a dab hand at a bit of off spin bowling, gave a friendly welcoming wave from the non strikers end. Robo, fielding at deep forward mid wicket, chucked the ball my way -

'Come on then, lets have a bit of reverse swing'

I was just about to start my run up, when the game was interrupted by the sound of the air raid siren going off. Damn Germans, always pick the wrong time! I ran over towards my aircraft, managing to change into my flying gear while on the run, and climbed into my mighty stead. The wait to get the order to start engines seemed to last forever, but soon Gravesend came alive with the sound of 10 Merlin engines firing up.

Assigned to fly in Green section as Green 3 with Bonkin as Green Leader and Bunny as Green 2 we made our way to the runway and formed up behind Blue section. The squadron soon started to thunder down the runway, and eventually all got airborne. Chantelle, Neomi & Monique had done a fantastic job on my aircraft while I had been away, and it was handling superbly, nice and smooth.

The four flights of 501 climbed to 14,000ft and headed in the direction of Manston to provide cover for a convoy in the Thames Estuary. 615 Squadron had left from their home base at Kenley, and made contact with a group of enemy 109s around Ramsgate. The Wing Commander gave the order to go full power so we could get in and help, but we were soon hearing of brave 615 pilots being taken down. We caught eyes on the fur ball just feet wet from Ramsgate, and started to ID targets. I stuck with Green Leader and Green 2, as we swung round the the right slowly. Out of the corner of my eye I caught sight of a 109 diving onto Green 2, and gave out the call to break. Green section broke, and I lost visual sight of the other two pilots, not knowing that I would not rejoin with them in this flight.

Now flying back towards Manston, I saw a Hurricane crossing the coast with a 109 on his tail. I called out over comms, but got no response from 501, so he must have been a 615 pilot. The enemy soon closed in on the Hurricane, but he skillfully managed to avoid most of his shots. We were now down at 8,000ft, but I was managing to close the gap between me the and enemy kite. The three of us were flying North of Ramsgate, going feet wet and at 6,000ft. Now the 109 made a mistake and he started to turn with the friendly Hurricane. He must not have known I was there. I was now within guns range, and gave the Hun a few seconds of my finest British bullets. I got good hits into him, but didn't seem to do any serious damage. He left the other Hurricane alone, as he was now trying to avoid me. Now heading back towards Manston bay, and with some good close fighting. I eventually got some more hits into the starboard wing of the 109, setting it on fire. Trailing black smoke, he headed for Ramsgate and started to descend. I saw two spitfires dive on him, and as he was getting away, I let them finish him off. I saw him go in, but didn't see which 64 squadron pilots had dealt the final blow.

By now a massive group of bombers had been spotted attacking the convoy in the estuary. I had missed the initial attack on the JU-87s as I had been engaged with the 109. I climbed back up to 5,000ft just to the North of Ramsgate airfield. The massive group of bombers had now been decimated by the attacking Hurricanes, and I unloaded a few bullets into two already slightly wondered Stukas as they crossed the coast.

Trying to make contact with Green section found them either back at base or on route home. Making the decision to chase the enemy bombers back towards France, the yellow spinner of Teepee soon loomed into view low on my starboard side. I made radio contact, and discovered that Meaker was off to his starboard side. We attacked a group of JU-87s as a group, and after making two passes at one, and a single passes at another, I severely damaged one and set one on fire. By this time I had seen Teepee also set one a blaze and can confirm that this went down. Meaker had also got a lot of hits into the bombers, who were now scatted everywhere.

I was running low on ammo, but with bullets left I felt I had to use them. To many times I had been back to base with all my ammunition still on board. Time to address this. I saw another lone Stuka and gave chase. He soon got into range, and I emptied the last of my rounds into him. His trip home was to be ended abruptly. Not concentrating on my location, I found myself 4 to 5 miles out to see, with no ammo. The attack on the Stuka had attracted attention from an escorting 109. He started to dive on me from my 5 o clock high. I left it to the last minute, and broke the the left to avoid his fire. This I managed to do, and I watched him climb up away from me. I followed him round as he went vertical, and followed him as came down again. To my horror I saw two more 109's closing in on me. I called out over the radio for assistance, and tried to lead the two or three 109's towards Deal to meet the cavalry.

I managed to avoid the enemy bullets for a few passes without getting hit. The simple idea of breaking a the last minute seemed to be working, until I slightly misjudged a break. The 109 was able to get a few rounds into me, setting my plane on fire. Sliding back the cockpit getting ready to bail, I soon realised that I might be able to make it back to land. With my engines dying breath, I gained as much altitude as possible. The White Cliffs seemed to be within arms reach, when I hit the stall speed and started my decent into the drink. About 500 yards from land, I knew that wetness awaited, and went in.

Now starting to sink into the murky channel, I struggled to undo my harness. As the cold water seeped into the cockpit, I new the end was near and it was time to face the final curtain. With one last struggle, the reason that my harness would not free itself became clear, Lipstick! Bloody promiscuous Neomi, one not shy of pampering to show off to others pilots by flashing a bit of Ruby Red, has used the harness buckle as a lipstick store. When I had strapped myself in, the lipstick had been been compacted around the harness, and meant that I could not release it. If only she had used it to store tampons, I could have floated back to land....

Aircraft: Sunk
Pilot: Drowned by lipstick, 500 yards from Deal

Claims
Destroyed: 1 x JU-87, 1 x 109, Shared with two? 64 Squadron Spitfires
Probable: 1 X JU-87
Damaged: 3 X JU-87

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:01 am

Squadron: No.64 Squadron
Squadron code: "SH"
Pilot name: Thaine
Type: Spitfire Ia
Marking: L

Take off from Kenley went without incident. I flew as blue 2 with flight leader Luke and Maltloaf as blue 3. Cruise towards Manston at angles 12, eventually angle 14. We were ordered to patrol the area and give cover for 501 and 615 while they attack the incoming jerry-raid. 615 made contact with a sweeping escort of 109's first. 64 arrived shortly after, still I heard complaints from 615 later in the mess about 64 being late, again. We will need to train forming up and quick scramble, maybe 615 can give us some tips on that.

E/A dropped in behind us and blue flight broke to face them. A unknown contact in my six o'clock made me turn and loose my flight leader. I eventually formed up low behind a 109 that was dropping on a fellow spitfire pilot. I followed, warned my college about the thread and finally gave jerry a short squirt before passing below him, which opened up both his radiators wide. He must have been unaware of my attack and his damage, since he continued to fly and attack. I made another pass but could not score further hits. I left the 109 since he was out of the fight. He might just have made it to shore so I claim this 109 as damaged.

I turned and made a head on pass on another 109 that was chased by a fellow pilot. I turned behind them to assist and soon spotted that I was tailed by myself. I could avoid enemy fire for a while. I went into a blackout and lost control of my plane for a second. After regaining control and consciousness, I dived for Manston were other 64 spitfires were fighting. The 109 was gone but I saw a big hole in my left wing root. I made contact with my flight leader and asked him to have a look at my kite. He told me that my left landing gear was extended. Luckily the engine was still running without problems, so I signed off from the fight and limped back to Kenly.

After touch down the plane dropped gently on the left wing and spiraled off the runway, where I stopped the engine and mad for the next pub to have a beer on having cheated death once more.

Claims :
Destroyed:
Probable:
Damaged: 1x BF109

A/C: Damaged left landing gear, hole in wing.
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:02 am

Squadron Code: SD
Pilot Name: Bunny
Date: 11th August 1940 0800
Time: 0930
Type: Hawker Hurricane Mk I 100 Octane (Rotol)
Marking: N for Nuts
Serial Number: P3084

Synopsis:
I followed FO Bonkin into the fray, heading over the estuary to protect our convoy situated there. Off the coast of Ramsgate enemy were spotted, two streams of Ju87s escorted by 109s. The 109s were already tangling with our chaps, possibly 615 or 64, or both, so we dropped in on on the Stukas. I lost site on Bonkin and dropped in on the Stukas. I set the first alight, smoke pouring from his lead-ridden cowling, and moved on to the second. He got a strafe along his back end, and on to the third. A call out from the CO of 109s having spotted us. A quick glance around and on to the third. A few bullets into his wing after a bad approach, then I spotted a 109 flying dead straight on my 12. I caught up with him - fired a long burst in and immediately saw white liquid from both sides. A few more bursts and he veered towards the coast, north of Manston. He was trying for a landing - I followed and saw his canopy jettison, but no pilot bailed. I had no time to follow him down, as his mate turned up and I found that some of the tracer around me was not from the Ju87s, but from his colleague. I took engine damage and managed to make it back to Ramsgate, intact, where I pounced on the nearest pub to get my fill. I burned a piano, but the locals didn't take too kindly to it. I was instructed that they didn't do things like that around there, and they then demonstrated the Ramsgate tradition of weaving straw dolls. Not sure if it's just me, but it definitely doesn't wrap up a mission in the same way. I do, however, have a rather lovey straw bunny to show for my time, and the mother of all hangovers.

Claims
1 x 109 probable
1 x Ju87 confirmed
2 x Ju87 damaged

Aircraft: Engine dead, landed at Ramsgate. Beer provide to the ack-emmas
Pilot: Fine and dandy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Tyrone
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Tyrone » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:21 pm

Squadron: No.64 Squadron
Squadron code: "SH"
Pilot name: Tyrone
Type: Spitfire Ia
Marking: T

Claims :
Destroyed:
Probable: 1X BF109
Damaged: 1x BF109

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:49 pm

Squadron code: "SD"
Pilot name: Flying Officer Bonkin
Base: RAF Gravesend
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia
Marking: "Z for Zebra"
Serial number: P3803

Synopsis
Squadron scramble to intercept raiders off the coast near Deal. Clear skies. Bounced by multiple 109’s and ended up in a dual with two. Recovered safely to Manston with engine trouble.

Engine Start 1200
Brakes Off 1203
Brakes On 1230
Engine Shutdown 1231

Full Report
From todays activities it would seem that the dirty Hun scoundrels are targeting our RDF stations and are coming over in very large numbers. Today I was assigned to lead Green section – with FO Bunny as Green 2 and PO Bully as Green 3. With the order to scramble I gave Nigsy a pat on the head and climbed into my eager machine and within moments we took to the blue in and climbed with incredible speed towards Manston.

The climb out was perilous. Some of these new chaps are fresh out of training with only a few hours on type and clearly were struggling to stay in formation. There were Hurricanes weaving about everywhere – except out to our three o’clock where there was a vic of three. The “Golden Boy” was keeping well out of the way and I was thinking I’d be wise to follow his example and lead Green section out to the port side for our own safety. Knowing how the boss gets very excited by these types of shenanigans I thought better of it though. I didn’t fancy having to give him a severe listening to and figured that the Golden Boy would be on a fizzer after landing!

As we approached Manston at around angels 15 all hell broke loose. The dastardly Hun bounced the formation from the high six position. Suddenly the sky was full of twisting and turning aircraft all jostling for firing solutions. Green 2 and 3 were lost amongst the other dots whizzing past at high speed and I found myself alone with two 109’s who were each trying to take shots at me. I was able to out manoeuvre them with ease in my incredible machine and had latched onto the six of one of them and was inching closer in order to give him a welcoming greeting from the awesome firepower of my eight browning .303 machine guns!

It was at this point I had a dilemma. Over the RT there was a call of bombers arriving from the East and so the Boss ordered us to leave the fighters and go after the bombers – but here I was 200yds behind a twisting 109 and seconds away from dealing a death blow. Do I follow the order – or deal death and destruction to the 109 and then follow the order? I followed the latter path. This Hun was no amateur though. We twisted and turned and dived lower and lower and I ended up following him out to sea at low level. He started getting further and further away and I soon realised the fruitless position I had gotten myself into. “The dirty rotter” I thought.

With reluctance I left him and turned back to England. The RT was alive with excited chatter… it had turned into a Stuka party and clearly 501 were having a gay time with the hapless crews of the gull winged bombers.

Continually checking my six I realised that the bugger had decided to follow me. “I’ll draw him in closer” I thought – “then I’ll hit the brakes and he’ll fly right by”. I pulled the tit to increase my speed and just off the coast near Manston I pulled hard into a turn and managed to evade his fire. I’d almost managed to get a snap shot on him and in the ensuing turns I forgot to monitor the temperatures! Damn!! What a scoundrel… I was overheating!

I’m not sure what actually overheated and hit a critical temperature first. My trusty machine or the dummy flying it. In any case, I managed to disengage the fight and got my wheels down for a put down at Manston. The Hun had honour and flew away to allow me to land.

Over the RT I could hear the party continuing. I ripped off my flying helmet in disgust, climbed out and went looking for a dog to kick.

Claims
Destroyed: 0
Damaged: 0

Losses
Pilot: Red faced and peeved off
A/C: In need of a new engine