Adlerangriff - Mission #22 : 12th August 1940 - IoW 1200

RAF flight reports for the epic ACG Historical Campaign - "Peace In Our Time" covering the Fall of France and the Battle of Britain. We are recruiting new pilots so you can join this - post in the Reception to request a seat. This forum is publically viewable.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Gromic
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Re: Adlerangriff - Mission #22 : 12th August 1940 - IoW 1200

Post by Gromic » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:32 pm

Squadron: No.64
Squadron code: SH
Pilot name: Gromic
Date: 12th of August, 1940
Base: Kenley
Type: Spitfire 1A
Marking: Q for Quebec

Claims:
Confirmed: 0
Probable: 0
Damaged: 1 bf109

Damaged a 109 during the furball in an attempt to pull him off a spitfire (unidentified). Worked as intended. Was later bounced by a hun fighter scanning the skies above the isle of wight but managed to evade further attacks. I didn't realize it until I was short on finals at RAF Bemridge that I had lost my starboard aileron during said bounce. Made a three pointer non the less and came to a full stop uninjured. Not my greatest of days mind you.

Losses:
AC: slight damage (starboard aileron)
Pilot: ok
32 Squadron / USAAF 84 Squadron

Midge

Post by Midge » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:00 pm

Squadron: No.615 squadron"County of Surrey" Squadron
Squadron No: KW
Pilot name: Midge
Date: 12 August 1940
Time:1200hrs
Type: Hawker Hurricane mk1[100 oct]
Marking: C for[a right one] Charlie
Serial No: 2564

Back home at Kenley again.Mungo-my Heinz 57 mutt seems to have found a packet of Nylons to play with,i do hope that one of the WAFs are not missing a pair.Mind you there never seems to be a shortage on base,thanks to Barons underground Nylon network.Methinks Baron should be dropped into occupied Europe--just think of the mischief he could cause!

No.615 were at full strength a really good show and we split up into 3 sections Red,Blue and yellow.
I was in red section with Sqld Hawes as Red1,Kev Red2,Hollywood Red3 and me Red4.
We formed up by sections on the runway and Panta took off in fine style,shaking out in record time.
Again the Red1 brought Panta into contact with the Hun right on the button,with Red section on the left and Blue on the right with Yellow behind and high to provide cover against the snappers.The contacts were Ju88s[around 30 of the bastards],but where were the 109s? non to be seen,at last a clear run on the enemy bombers,now Panta would show them.The boss brought red section in to attack the rear element and then---well it was just bloody magnificent,bombers flaming and falling all over the sky,i made 3 runs on the Ju88s damaging two and igniting[he had no chance of getting back to the French coast]a third.
Just as i was breaking to the left on the third run i was clobbered,the engine damaged,i radioed RTB and headed back to blighty trying to make for any aerodrome i could find,but had to dead stick in a field just inland from the coast.alive and with a bloody great grin!---the locals were very nice and insisted that i be driven in a farmcart to the local pub--where many pints later i was picked up by a driver and returned to Kenley in a very,very unsteady state.
All in all a very bad day for the hun,No.615 showed what it could do and thankfully no Pilots missing.

Claims:

Destroyed: 0
Probable: 1
Damaged: 2

Losses:

Pilot: Fine
A/C: Bent

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:31 pm

Squadron: No. 501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron Code: SD
Pilot Name: Sabre
Date: 12th Aug 1940
Base: RAF Kenley
Type: Hawker Hurricane Mk1 (100Oct)
Marking: S for Sugar
Serial number: P3397

Flew as Red 2 alongside Wing Commander Osprey from RAF Kenley, the C/O had us head down to the Solent and then around the IoW to head off an incoming raid.

Whne we arrived at the Isle of Wight we somehow manage to get our wires crossed with No. 64 Squadron and we ended in a mock engagement thankfully without incident.
We started searching the Hun once more and soon noticed high contrails. Further contact calls came of enemy fighters east of IoW.

As the engagements began I lost contact with Red Leader. I circled the area looking for contacts and three times managed to evade the dirty blighters swooping down from the gods. All kinds of contact calls were coming through and unfortunately the CO had been hit but managed to jump to safety. The remainder of 501 tried rendezvous over Selsey bill at Angels 5 but there were still 109's in the area. I spotted a lone 109 but by now he was heading home, plus I was low on fuel. The skies were clear so PO's Robo and Meaker along with myself decided it was time to find a safe place to land.

Claims : None
Destroyed: None
Probable: None
Damaged: None

Pilot: Ok
A/C: Ok and fully armed
No.111 (Fighter) Squadron - "Adstantes" - Standing by
"Worry only on the things you can influence and accept there are things beyond your control"

Johnny

Post by Johnny » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:54 pm

Squadron: No.615 County of Surrey
Squadron code: KW
Pilot Name: Johnny
Date: August 12th 1940
Aircraft: Hawker Hurricane 1a
Marking:Z
Serial number: L1592

Claims:
Confirmed:2 JU-88A
Probable:1 JU-88A
Shared:1 JU-88 with Random

Losses:
AC: Small fuel tank leak
Pilot: ok.
Made it back to Kenley in one piece

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:46 pm

Squadron: No.501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron code: "SD"
Pilot name: Flying Officer Bonkin
Date: 12th August 1940
Base: RAF Kenley
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia
Marking: "Z for Zebra"
Serial number: P3803

Synopsis
Squadron patrol between Isle of Wight and Selsey Bill. Clear skies. Engaged by multiple 109’s, damaged two but had to make an emergency recovery into Tangmere after being wounded.

Engine Start 1207
Brakes Off 1210
Brakes On 1350
Engine Shutdown 1351

Full Report
Once again I was assigned to lead Green section – with the fearless FO Bunny as Green 2 and brave PO Bully as Green 3. After a squadron take-off we commenced a slow climb out towards the New Forest but unfortunately missed rendezvousing with the Hun bombers and instead bounced No.64 squadron who seemed to be loitering around looking for a landmark from which to orient themselves.

Over the R/T we could hear that No.615 had found the invaders and where enjoying themselves teaching the rotter’s what for.

Looking around I could see Green 2 and Green 3 keeping perfect formation. Green 3 in particular had a brand new machine and was obviously enjoying himself more than normal because he seemed to like doing a lot of barrel rolls in formation. I made a mental note to have a word with him on landing – firstly to commend him on his formation flying but secondly to give him a bit of a ticking off for his aerial antics – we’re not a display team!

It wasn’t too long before the boss led us to the party and the sky suddenly seemed very full of enemy machines. They were not very sporting because they always seemed to be up above us and would not come down to engage in a turn fight. The rotters!

On the R/T it sounded like Jerry was giving 501 a bit of a thrashing. There were calls of “Save me a Badgers – I’ll see you in the bar” and “Damm! He’s set me on fire!” Amazingly as we twisted and turned Green 2 stuck with me – until he too was hit. At this point I saw an enemy machine opening fire on a fellow Hurricane but my call to break came too late. “The bastard” I thought and I turned my incredible machine into a turn after the 109 that had hit him. I managed to get a few hits before Green 3 warned me that I was now the prey for another of the buggers. I managed to break away but was subsequently hit by a third 109 I didn’t see. The cockpit erupted in flashes and I noticed I had a hole in my right thigh which was leaking the strawberry jam badly. I called out that I was disengaging and managed to recover back to Tangmere where I narrowly avoided hitting a crashed Spitfire.

After being lifted out of the cockpit I passed out – but awoke in a rather comfortable bed in the Tangmere sick bay. Somewhat frustrated that I had missed the beer call back at Kenley I decided that once again I needed another dog to kick!

Claims
Destroyed: 0
Probable: 0
Damaged: 2 x Bf109

Losses
Pilot: In need of a nurse
A/C: Nothing a few patches won’t sort out