Adlerangriff. Mission 23: 12th August (3. Manston 1400)

RAF flight reports for the epic ACG Historical Campaign - "Peace In Our Time" covering the Fall of France and the Battle of Britain. We are recruiting new pilots so you can join this - post in the Reception to request a seat. This forum is publically viewable.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Biggles

Re: Adlerangriff. Mission 23: 12th August (3. Manston 1400)

Post by Biggles » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:47 pm

Squadron:No 615 "County of Surrey" Squadron
Squadron Code: KW
Pilot name: Biggles
Date: 12th August 1940
Time:13.45
Base: Gravesend
Type: Hawker Hurricane Mk1 [100 oct]
Marking: I for Ink

Having been away on leave due to rather unfortunate reasons it was good to be back with the squadron and flying again! Earlier today the base had been visited by none other than Winston Churchill himself, the honorary Air Commodore of 615! Anyway after Osprey had been chatting to him for the morning 615 and 501 were put on readiness in anticipation of the Hun crossing over our beautiful cliffs. 64 at Manston were the one to here of them first as the sirens started to wail and they got stuck in. 615 were the first to take off and after somebody (I mention no names) did a cheeky flypast over 501 we were off to intercept the buggers causing all the commotion.

Our first contacts were waves of Doriners that were coming from Manston way, as part of yellow flight I stayed high to look out for fighter. We quickly realised that 64 were in a tangle with the Hun and were drawing them away towards Folkstone, so at this point the bombers were game as much as fighters and I dived down onto the pack and sent one streaming on both engines and I foolishly followed him down and gave him a burst a close range to make sure he was really out. When I pulled up again the bombers were gone and the squadron was scattered. I decided to head down to Dover and got in a tangle with 109 Spits and Hurricanes alike. After landing hits on one 109, my fuel was dangerously low so I headed back with a few other fellows from the squadron.

On approach to Gravesend Kev informed me that my wheels were not down despite two greens, I decided to trust the lights and carry on anyway, after lowering the flaps on final approach the speed of the old girl dropped considerably and she began to wallow. In panic I increased the power to stop it but this results in a catastrophic flip upside down 100ft of the ground and less than 300ft from the runway. The result was me being flung from the aircraft on impact and before blackness claimed me I saw on the deformed wings of my Hurri that the wheel were still indeed in their stowed position. The world then blackened.

Claims:
Probable: Doriner 217 x1
Damaged: Me 109 x1

Pilot and A/C:
Tragically lost

Random

Post by Random » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:08 pm

Squadron: No. 615 "County of Surrey" Squadron
Squadron Code: KW
Pilot Name: Random
Date: 12 Aug 1940
Time: 1400hrs
Base: Gravesend
Type: Hawker Hurricane 1A
Marking: N
Serial number:

Synopsis: Lead 615 on an intercept course to enemy bombers. Spotted them just north of manston and engaged. Managed a single pass at Do17's before mixing it up with 109s

Took damage but stayed combat effective and eventually returned to Gravesend

Claims:
Destroyed:
Probable:
Damaged: 1x DO17

Losses
Pilot: OK
A/C: Missing half the rudder

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:20 pm

Squadron: No.501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron code: "SD"
Pilot name: Flying Officer Bonkin
Date: 12th August 1940
Base: RAF Gravesend
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia
Marking: "Z for Zebra"
Serial number: P3803

Synopsis
Scambled to intercept raiders approaching RAF Manston from the East at angels 15. My numbers 2 and 3 became separated but in the ensuing melee I damaged multiple Do17s with some most likely probables. Recovered to Gravesend safely and undamaged.

Engine Start 1407
Brakes Off 1412
Brakes On 1455
Engine Shutdown 1455

Full Report
Nigsy has gotten me into trouble again. After we’d landed from our lunch time aerial party with the Hun it was clear there was a bit of thing going on with VIP’s at Gravesend. Anyway, it only turned out to be AVM Park, “Stuffy” Dowding and non-other than the big man himself, the cigar smoking Mr. Churchill. The problem was that all composure was lost when Nigsy, seeing me climb down from my trusty Hurricane, decided to excitedly run around in circles and then started to leap up at each of the visiting dignitaries. Park got a wet stain on his trousers, Stuffy a slobbery face licking and Churchill a good leg hump. Churchill said he had “a lot of spunk” - at which F/O Teepee could no longer contain himself and feigned a bad cough. The boss was obviously not impressed and after lunch I was summoned to his office so that I could give him a severe listening to. In all honesty I think he was doing it out of principle. If I didn’t know better I could have sworn that he a glint in his eye while he was ticking me off – everyone loves Nigsy and Nigsy loves everyone too, apart from that Nitrous fellow from No.64.

I was saved by the shrill ringing of the telephone. It was Ops. calling us back to readiness. “Ah good,” said the boss. “Jerry’s coming back for another beating. Let’s get out there and catch them with their pants down and hands in the cookie jar!”

All these euphemisms were getting a bit confusing. Never in my life have I known anybody with their pants down and hands in a cookie jar. It’s enough to put you off cookies! I just wanted to send the rotter’s packing all the way back to Hun land.

No.615 scrambled first and treated us to a fine sight and sound of merlin’s climbing into the blue. One of the pluckier ones decided to do a flyby over the waiting machines of No.501 – which put the willies up a few of the junior ranks. Obviously the boss was not too pleased and overheated very quickly. “Did anybody get his number? That man should be put on a charge! “

It wasn’t long before No.501 were climbing out to meet Jerry as well. I was leading Green section with F/O Bunny and SAC Major. I think there must have been something wrong with F/O Bunny because he had a terrible case of hic-ups and every time he transmitted over the R/T I swear I could hear “chinking” noises – almost like he had some beer bottles rattling around in the cockpit with him.

The eagle eyes of P/O Bully spotted them first – coming in from the East at angels 15. Very quickly we merged in a head on pass and then all hell seemed to break lose. The sky was full of Huns and Hurricanes. There were a few calls over the R/T of Me109’s in the area as well but thankfully I only saw one. Clearly the bryclreem boys of No.64 were taking care of them for us – leaving us largely on our own to attack the bombers.

After the first pass my No.2 and No.3 had lost me and were fighting on their own. The first Do17 I attacked I closed from astern to 250yds and gave him a good raking, setting his port engine on fire. He started going down trailing thick black smoke but I didn’t follow him.

The seconds Do17 I attacked I must have inflicted heavy damage – but once again, I stayed high and didn’t see way happened to him.

Rolling over I dived onto a third Do17 which was being attacked by two No.615 kites. I got lots of hits to his port engine which resulting in a heavy oil leak.

Clearly the Do17’s were completed disoriented for they had completely split up and had lost the protection of flying in a group. The fourth one I attacked was on his own and in a gentle right hand turn. I came in from his low starboard quarter, raked him good and proper and set his port engine on fire. He too started going down trailing thick black smoke.

The last Do17 I attacked was also on his own and I came down on his high six. He was already leaking so I closed to 250yds and struck him in the cockpit area which completely exploded. I’d be surprised if anybody survived that I thought.

Revelling in my excitement I called out on the R/T to see if anybody needed any help. I met up with F/O Teepee and P/O Bully over Canterbury at angels 15 but it looked like the party was over so, following an order from the boss to pancake, we returned in a vic to Gravesend in celebratory mood.

Once back on the ground we headed off to the mess to enjoy several rounds of “Badgers Bollocks” and to burn a few pianos. On the way the crew chief of No.64 was striding purposely over to me.

“Sir! Your dog sir!”
“Yes, what is it Watkins?” I said.
“Well sir, could you keep him away from our Spitfires? It’s not good for the wheels you know.”

I looked down at Nigsy who was at my side panting and wagging his tail.

“Right ho chiefy” I said. “I’ll see what I can do,” and with that I smiled to myself, patted Nigsy on the head and led him off to the mess. What a good boy!

Claims
Destroyed: 2 x Do17
Probable: ½ x Do17 (shared with 615), ½ x Do17
Damaged: 0

Losses
Pilot: Chuffed to bits.
A/C: Marvellous.

Footage of the event:

Vranac

Post by Vranac » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:17 pm

Squadron: No. 64 Squadron
Squadron Code: SH
Pilot Name: Vranac
Type: Spitfire Ia
Marking: V
Date: 12 Aug 1940, 14:00
Base: Manston

While sitting in our cockpits and waiting an order to takeoff we were suddenly attacked. We scrambled quickly through barrage of explosions and tracers. I spotted one Me-110 and folowed him. Damaged him from 300-400ft but he was still flying. Luckily Gromic was close when I went winchester so he was finishing him of. I spotted one 109 getting on Gromic's six and warned him.
I landed and the ground crew rearmed my plane.
Took off again and connected with my sq. When we were climbing to intercept reported bomber formation some guys spotted 109s and engaged them. Then someone reported enemy planes over Dover. I picked up high 109 and gave him a few shots. He started evasive maneuvers and dived at the end. I followed but someone warned me that someone is behind me. I broke and 109 passed me followed by two Spitfires.
I continued behind the first 109 and cought him at the and shot him down.
Redeye, my wingman, was closer to France so I climed a bit to protect him on his way back if some of the planes above that I spotted dared to attack him. We paired up and went on landing.

Claims
Destroyed: 1 x Me-110 Shared with Gromic, 1 x Me-109
Probable: none
Damaged: none

Losses
Pilot: OK
A/C: OK

Tyrone
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Tyrone » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:27 pm

Squadron: No. 64 Squadron
Squadron Code: SH
Pilot Name: Tyrone
Type: Spitfire Ia
Marking: T
Date: 12 Aug 1940, 14:00
Base: Manston

Claims
Destroyed: 1 x Me-110
Probable: none
Damaged: none