Adlerangriff. Mission 24: 12th August (4. Folkestone 1700)

RAF flight reports for the epic ACG Historical Campaign - "Peace In Our Time" covering the Fall of France and the Battle of Britain. We are recruiting new pilots so you can join this - post in the Reception to request a seat. This forum is publically viewable.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Bully

Re: Adlerangriff. Mission 24: 12th August (4. Folkestone 170

Post by Bully » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:12 pm

Squadron: No. 501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron Code: "SD"
Pilot Name: Bully
Date: 12th Aug 1940
Time: 19:00
Base: RAF Kenley
Type: Hawker Hurricane Mk 1a (100 Oct)
Marking: B for Beers
Serial Number: L2038

The formidable 501 left Kenley, with myself following the effervescent F/O Bonkin as Green leader, and the voluptuous F/O Bunny as green two. After we had caught sight of the enemy bombers, green section broke to the right, and started our attack run. Good communication meant we all lined up different targets, and I saw the other two gets some shots off at the '88's, I closed in, the the left hand group, and opened up. My bullets raped across the three bombers, hitting them all, but I don't think enough to cause them any major problems. I following Green section up and away from the Bombers.

Other pilots were calling out over the radio of 109's in the area, and is was not long before I caught a glimpse of 2 or 3 whizzing passed my cockpit. They were obviously going in to defend the bombers. I Kept my altitude as it did not seem safe to go in after the JU-88s, with the Hun fighters around, plus they Ju's had been massacred, with only a few stragglers left somehow managing to stay airborne.

The fight had broken up, with reported engagements going on up and down the coast. Off to my 10 O clock I could see a big dogfight, slightly below me. Pointing the Hurricane in the direction of this furball, I set my Hurricane to Turbo and headed into direction. By now I had lost contact with Green section and the numbers of 501 in the air seemed to be reducing so without meeting up with anyone I bravely pressed on with the attack.

Things after this went very wrong. By the time I got over it, the fight had sunk a couple of thousand feet. Without thinking I pushed the stick forward and made haste for the battle. But the fight was still losing altitude, and before I knew it I was going to fast, and my ailerons decided that life would be better apart from the rest of my aircraft. By now I was down on the deck. and despite frantic waggling of rudder and elevator, I could not get the plane out of a left hand circle. P/O Meaker was still airborne, but returning to base. I informed him of my predicament, but advised there was nothing he could do to help and left him to RTB.

For almost 5 minutes I was flying round in a circles. Sickness was setting in, but try as I might I could not get the Hurricane to level out so that I could make land fall and bail out. I was going to have to take the risk and plop her down in the channel and hope Air Sea Rescue were about. Slowing the machine right down, I left the natural course of my downward spiral take me into the water. No more than 100 feet from the White Cliffs, and with my best doggy paddle, I started to swim back to the beach. With great stealth, and to my immense relief, a small boat soon swung by and picked me up. With minutes I was sat down at Mrs Miggins pie shop in Dover sampling some of her specialties. With a full stomach, I soon set about making my way back to Kenley, via train, bus and stolen bicycle.

Lived to fight another day!

Claims:
Destroyed: 0
Probable: 0
Damaged: 3 x JU-88

Pilot: OK, picked up by the brave boys from ASR
Plane: Despite only being 100 feet from shore, could not persuade anyone to tow it back to dry land, so sunk.

Looky

Post by Looky » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:35 pm

Squadron: No. 64 Squadron
Squadron Code: SH
Pilot Name: Looky
Type: Spitfire Ia 100 octane
Marking: A for Apple
Date: 12 Aug 1940, 19:00
Base: Kenley

Claims:
Confirmed: 0
Probable: 0
Damaged: 2

Losses:
AC: OK
Pilot: OK

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:28 pm

Squadron: No. 501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron Code: SD
Pilot Name: MSabre
Date: 12 Aug 1940 1900, Folkestone
Base: Kenley
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia (100 Oct)
Marking: S for Sugar
Serial: P3397

COMBAT FLIGHT RECORD

Apologies for late report, been stuck at sea for a week.

Flying as Red 2 with the CO as Red 1 and SAC Major as Red 3. We circled over Kenley Airfield with the rest of Mandrel squadron in tow and then headed southeast towards Dover area at 15,000 feet. A bit of engine trouble forced me to drop out of formation a couple of times but it seemed to clear as we crossed the coast and we soon made contact with enemy bomber wing just off the coast from Hawkinge.

We engaged the Ju-88 bombers with the rest of the squadron and I managed to damage a Ju-88 causing black smoke to pour from his right hand engine. As I went to climb away another Ju-88 took evasive action and tore away my right wing. I struggled with the old girl for a while before deciding that discretion was the better part of valour and I hit the silk. After what seemed an eternity I eventually got a bath in the chilly channel.

Claims:
Destroyed: None
Probable: 1 x Ju88
Damaged: None

Losses:
Pilot: OK but wet
Aircraft: Lost
No.111 (Fighter) Squadron - "Adstantes" - Standing by
"Worry only on the things you can influence and accept there are things beyond your control"

Venom

Post by Venom » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:40 pm

Squadron: No.64 Squadron
Squadron code: "SH"
Pilot name: Venom
Date: 12th August 1940
Base: Manston
Type: Spitfire Ia (100oct)
Marking: Z

My kite was having some routine maintenance done when they did something bloody awful to the engine, not too sure what it was, but something that'll take some time. Absolutely miffed.

Claims:
N/A

Pilot: Hungover
A/C: Did not fly