Adlerangriff. Mission 26: 13th August (2. Detling 1700)

RAF flight reports for the epic ACG Historical Campaign - "Peace In Our Time" covering the Fall of France and the Battle of Britain. We are recruiting new pilots so you can join this - post in the Reception to request a seat. This forum is publically viewable.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Baron le Scrope

Re: Adlerangriff. Mission 26: 13th August (2. Detling 1700)

Post by Baron le Scrope » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:08 pm

Squadron code: "KW"
Pilot name:Baron.
Date: 13th August 1940.
Squadron: No615.
Time:1430hrs
Base:Kenley
Type: Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 100oct.Rotol.
Marking:B for beer.
Serial number: P3231

Took off from RAF Kenley in Yellow Flight with P/O Hollywood as leader and J/T Midge and i as wingmen.
Engaged multiple Ju87s over Detling area.
Damaged 3, all streaming on all engines.
Shot down and killed by rear gunners.

Claims:
Destroyed:0
Probable: 3 -Ju87
Damaged:

Losses
Pilot: KIA
A/C: Destroyed
Antec 900 case,/ Sabertooth P67 MoBo,/ Intel corei7 2600cpu-/- MSI GTX 970 4G Graphics, --WD-1Tb Velociraptor HDD--16g Corsair 2133Mhz Ram/-- Corsair TX 850w PSU /--Samsung40"led TV, TrackiR5, CH J/sick. Warthog Throttle. Corsair Vengeance 2100 H/set/mike. W10 Pro 64, /---Two slightly depressed teabags.

Think nothing of it sir, it was the least I could do, a quantity I specialize in.

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:48 pm

Squadron: No. 501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron Code: SD
Pilot Name: Broadsword
Date: 13th Aug 1940
Time: 1615h
Base: Gravesend
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia 100 Oct
Marking: E for Edward
Serial: P3582

Short version - Took off as Green 3. Listened in horror to Teepee and Meaker getting shot down. Followed Bunny in an attack on a squadron of 24 Stukas. Made 5 passes, shot down 2, damaged a few more to various degrees. Took some hits to the wings, then one in the radiator. Made for Eastchurch expecting my engine to seize. It didn't, but I turned out to have no functioning flaps or gear. Made a belly landing, but tipped her over onto her back and banged my head on the canopy. Got a lift back to Gravesend in time for whiskey and painkillers.

Claims:
Destroyed: 2 x Ju87
Probable: None
Damaged: 4 x Ju87

Losses:
Pilot: Bit of a knock on the old noggin, but otherwise in fine spirits.
Plane: Scratched on the bottom, smashed at the front, dented on the top. Tail might be ok. Could use the instruments to make novelty clocks?
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:28 am

Squadron: No. 64 Squadron
Squadron Code: SH
Pilot Name: Thaine
Type: Spitfire Ia 100 octane
Marking: J for Johnnie
Date: 13 Aug 1940 1615,
Base: Kenley

On July 14. 2012, divers of british geological research group discovered the wreckage of a Mark IA Spitfire on the bottom of the english channel. The wreckage was found some miles south of the Isle of Wight on a depth of appr. 20-30 metres. Several bullet wholes on the rear fusealge of the Spitfire indicated heavy battle damage. Royal Airforce Historian Ronny Prickman, grandchild to the famous Kenley Wing commander, assumes the damage to be caused by 20mm cannon rounds from a Messerschmidt 109 based on their size. The tailfinn of the Spitfire is torn apart and could not be found yet. If this damage was cause of the crash or happened during impact on the water surface is yet unknown. The canopy of the Spitfire was found open but the body of the pilot was missing indicative that he exited the airplane before the crash and might have jumped to safety before it's destruction. Despite the weathering the aircraft endured during it's 60 years rest on the bottom of the sea the markings could be identified to SH-I, SH-J or SH-U.

After further investigation Ronny Prickman could confirm that in fact a Spitfire with markings SH-J did not return from an engagement over that area 13.August 1940. It was flown by Warrant Officer Curtis "Thaine" Willis. The pilot did never return to his unit. He might have been recovered by german air-sea-rescue but more likely died in the waters of the channel. "It's rather close to the Isle of Wight, so it's unlikely the germans came that close with their boats. Our rescue unit's did not pick him up; that means there's no record of that. He could of course have been rescued by civilian boats but would have reported back to his Squadron in that case."

Local fisherman James Hastings was a 12 year old boy when the so called Operation Eagle's Day (Adlertag) happened on 13.August 1940, resulting in huge battles between the Luftwaffe and Royal Air Force over southern England. "I remember that day very well." sais James Hastings. "Of course we were used to aeroplanes and the whole battle in the air those days. But this day, there were so many aircrafts in the air like I've never seen before. I was out to help my father on his boat, he was quite worried because of the aeroplanes, we were scarred that they would attack us as well, you know. For us children it was of course exiting and I loved our aeroplanes, those pilots were heroes to us and we all envied them." In our interview with James Hastings he mentioned on scene he witnessed that might shed light on the fate of SH-J. "The battels were fierce and especially this day it was raining plane parts and shrapnell. I saw this one Spitfire that got split in half. There was this german fighter appearing behind it and the next second you could see how the plane cracked in the middle followed by a loud bang. That was a frightening sight. But keept on flying, you know. It slowly tilted forward and went into that steep dive while its other half spirreled down. Something was dropping from the plane after some seconds, could have been the pilot. We went there, where it hit the sea, with our small boat but never found anything. If it really was the pilot after a jump from that hight without a parachute, the poor bugger was probably killed during impact on the sea."

James Hastings became a fishreman as his father, but kept his enthusiasm for aircrafts. The fate of Curis Willis will never be known completely. But it is likely that he is one of the many brave pilots that gave their life in this early stage of World War II.

Claims:
Confirmed: 0
Probable: 0
Damaged: 0

Losses:
AC: Lost
Pilot: Dead
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:20 pm

Squadron Code: "SD"
Pilot Name: Fg Off. "Bunny" Hewitt
Time: 1615
Base: RAF Station Gravesend
Type: Hawker Hurricane Mk 1a (100 Oct)
Marking: "N" for Nuts
Serial Number: P3084

Synopsis:

We'd sat for an age at readiness, waiting for the off, when suddenly Blue section get the all clear to begin patrol. This is a bit of rum do - our CO was in charge of 615 squadron, and Flt Off Teepee was put in charge of 501, so when he's pulled off the runway to lead his merry men into the distant blue, it falls to Green section to lead the squadron out. Of course, our Flt Ldr, Fg Off Bonkin, is away with a 'dicky tummy' (I heard he'd had one too many pianos with Teepee the night before), so yours truly sat at the head of Green flight, in front of whole great load of Hurricanes as they took to the skies.

Luckily, Plt Off Bully knew a girl, who knew a bloke, who was best mates with a chap in intel, and he seemed to have a pretty decent idea where Jerry would be. On a heading of 090 we climbed to 17,000ft, looking to our right for enemy plotted on the radar. The sneaky buggers had also crept low along the north coast, just off Ramsgate, and we clocked a mass of 24 Stukas on our low 10 o'clock. Diving in, I picked up a hole in my cockpit on the first pass, second pass damaged one of them, and again on the third pass. Fourth pass I took heavy fire as I dropped a load of lead into my target, and lost the engine. Knowing I wouldn't last long I headed West to Eastchurch and managed a wheels down landing.

Claims
3 x Ju 88 Damaged

Aircraft: Damaged but landed.
Pilot: Scratched up but breathing.

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Vas

Post by Vas » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:03 pm

Pilot Name: Vas
Marking: G for George
Date: 13 Aug 1940

Claims:
1 x BF-109

Aircraft: Landed
Pilot: Drunk on adrenaline

Midge

Post by Midge » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:34 pm

Squadron: No.615"County of Surrey"Squadron
Squadron code: WK
Pilot name: Midge
Date: 13th August 1940
Time: 1430hrs
Type: Hawker Hurricane Mk1[100oct]
Marking: C for Charlie
Serial no:P2564

Claims:

Destroyed: 2 Ju87's--one shared with Biggles
Probable: 0
Damaged: 2 Ju87's

Losses:

Pilot: Slightly damaged [cuts and bruises]
Aircraft: Very badly damaged[upside down in a field]

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:05 pm

Pilot Name: Sabre
Time: 16:15
Marking: S for Sugar
Serial: P3397

Synopsis:

Take off from Gravesend as Gold 2 with Robo as Gold leader and Schmuk as Gold 3 we set off towards Manston where we discover a mass of Stukas. Gold leader calls for one pass and we dive to engage. I lined up and got shots into one of the Stukas but the tail gunner managed to hit my engine as I passed over them, oil sputtering all over the canopy. I radioed Gold Leader and advised I was RTB and headed towards Eastchurch. Unfortunately I couldn't make the airfield and had to put the old girl down in the shallow water on the beach north of Eastchurch.

Claims:

Destroyed: none
Probable: none
Damaged: 1xJu87

Losses:
Pilot: OK but wet
A/C: Wet and damaged
No.111 (Fighter) Squadron - "Adstantes" - Standing by
"Worry only on the things you can influence and accept there are things beyond your control"

Bully

Post by Bully » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:59 pm

Pilot Name: Bully
Time: 16:15
Marking: B for Beer
Serial: L2038

Met the bandits just to the North of Manston. attacked with he other three members of green Section, lead by the Fearless P/O Bunny, the unbeatable LAC Broadsword and Fib (a new chap, posted our way to help fight off the invaders. What a brave fellow). Attacked one group of stukas getting hits on all three as I passed through the flight. 110s were spotted flying behind the formation, and cries were coming out over the radio for assistance. I turned and soon caught eyes on the fight. Plenty of Hurricanes giving three 110 some British steel. One hurricane had attacked a 110, and got some hits into him, but had been chased off by another 110 coming down from above. I attacked the 110 that had been hot previously, got good hits into him, and watched as he crashed into the sea.

By now the Stukas had gone, and I was left flying around Masnto for a bit looking for trade. I eventually met up with LAC Schmuk over Deal, and then P/O Robo joined us later. We flew around a bit, met up with the Wing Commander, and LAC Dave, and all headed back to Gravesend, were the bar beer was soon flowing and we all retold stories of how we had all individually saved England's ass.

Claims
Destroyed: 1 x110 (shared with another 501 pilot)
Probable: N/A
Damaged 3 x Stuka

Pilot: Ok
Plane: OK

Tyrone
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Tyrone » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:28 pm

Pilot Name: Tyrone
Marking: T

Claims: x1 bf109 sent home damged

Aircraft: Landed
Pilot: ok

Johnny

Post by Johnny » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:38 pm

Squadron: No.615 "County of Surrey" Squadron
Squadron Code: KW
Pilot Name: Johnny
Call sign: Green1
Date: 13th August 1940
Time: 16.30
Type: Hurricane I Rotol
Marking: Z
Serial Number: L1592

Took off from kenley as green 1. We intercepted a group of stukas near canterbury. I got engaged with 4 109s. I got bursts into 3 of them. Then one of the 109s rammed me and i blew up.

Destroyed: 0
Probable: 1
Damaged: 2
Losses: 1xHurricane
Pilot: Splattered over the english countryside