Adlerangriff. Mission 27: 14th August

RAF flight reports for the epic ACG Historical Campaign - "Peace In Our Time" covering the Fall of France and the Battle of Britain. We are recruiting new pilots so you can join this - post in the Reception to request a seat. This forum is publically viewable.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Dave

Re: Adlerangriff. Mission 27: 14th August

Post by Dave » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Squadron: No. 501
Squadron Code: SD
Pilot Name: Dave
Date: 14th August
Base: Gravesend
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia 100 Oct
Marking: W "William"
Serial: P3141

Synopsis:

The following day, No.501 was still kicking around at Gravesend, and the hun was still in the business of kicking around the poor chaps on the ground at our aerodromes in Kent. The squadron was still in high spirits, and as it turns out the ground crews had evidently been AT the spirits; in an ironic twist someone manage to crash the crash-wagon into one of our hurricanes, completely up-ending it and making for a rather farcical sight. Come to think of it I seem to recall seeing one of the lorries driving backwards at high speed across the runway. No doubt the mystery behind the erks' strange behaviour will be solved at a later date.

For a slight change of pace, red section (still a tad understaffed with only three of us) took off to do a patrol near Manston along with blue section. We were a bit late taking off, however, and it would not be unfair to say that we certainly took the scenic route. Blue bumped into a gaggle of Me 110s, with red arriving just after the nick of time once most of them were dealt with. I was the first to spot the battle going on, so Fang instructed me to dive on in and he and Broadsword would follow. I spotted one of the huns streaking across towards Ramsgate with a Hurricane on his tail, and another in a climbing turn. I dove after this latter Me 110, giving him a good 2-3 second burst, nobbling both sets of water radiators. He crashed less than a minute later, the kill being confirmed by Mauf.

Fresh from this success and feeling uncontrollably pleased with myself, I regrouped on Teepee's wing as we headed towards Dover and an incoming wing of Stukas. Halfway there however, our formation was bounced by a swarm of 109s, and in the ensuing confusion I became seperated from the pack. There were at least two yellow-noses swooping and diving after me, but the sturdy hurricane proved to be a deceptively slippery fish to catch, as I was able to break, turn, and barrel roll away from my foes. After a minute or so they broke off and climbed away to altitude, no doubt to regroup with the rest of the hun formation. I was thoroughly shaken, but glad to be alive, and after gaining altitude, I caught sight of the rest of 501 attacking the Stuka formation, who were now egressing towards France.

I sped on over, giving the old bird as much power as it could handle. By the time I reached the formation however, 109s were diving in at the rear. I latched onto one, gave him a squirt to no visible effect, and then pulled away so as not to get too far ahead of everyone else. As I did so, I saw another zoom almost straight past my cockpit - gave me quite a fright indeed, but luckily my first instinct was not to panic, but to pull after him. This I did, and I hit him with multiple bursts, smashing his radiators and plenty else besides. I saw him jettison his canopy, so I pulled off to port. This was where everything went wrong.

As I rolled to the left, cannon rounds whizzed through the air from behind, my poor Hurricane juddered and shook from the impacts, the sound rattling around inside the plane like gravel being thrown at a tin roof. He pulled away with his rounds having been fired, and left me alive, but in a horrible position. My controls were damaged - the stick kept getting jammed when I tried to pull it one direction or another, allowing no fine control at all, but worse than this, a round must have severed the control cables to my ailerons, because they were stuck in mid roll. The aircraft was lurching hopelessly over itself, and I had to apply full right rudder just to get it stable, but I was losing altitude and airspeed fast. Luckily for me, the 109 obviously had better things to do, since he didn't come back. Jolly good thing too - because I was a sitting duck, limping back towards the white cliffs at about 180mph. I willed the aircraft on, terrified that at any moment I would apply too much pressure to the controls and send myself spinning to my doom. Within a few minutes I was over dry land, crossing over a golf course, losing altitude rapidly. I still had faith I could try and put the aircraft down safely, and might have done so if it weren't for a slightly too strong jerk on the elevators. The hurricane flipped over almost inverted a mere 40-50 feet above the ground. I'd had it. Instinct took over. Get out! Get out of the damn plane! I released the harness, and leaped out of my seat.

A little too hard as it turns out. I conked my head on the canopy frame harder than I might have thought was possible, and just as I felt myself flopping out over the side I blacked out with the sight of a rather large tree rushing up towards me.

Claims:

1x Me 110 destroyed, 1x Me 109 damaged.

Losses:

A/C: Crumpled up like a bit of tissue paper, having given Kentish golfers a terrific fright with its sudden, abrupt arrival on the course.
Pilot: Dangling upside-down in a tree like a drunken Christmas decoration. (For the purposes of the campaign, thoroughly KIA - chute failure)
Last edited by Dave on Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deeside

Post by Deeside » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:03 pm

Squadron: No. 64 Squadron
Squadron Code: SH
Pilot Name: Deeside
Type: Spitfire Ia 100 octane
Marking: K
Date: 14 Aug 1940
Base: Kenley

Claims:
Confirmed: 0
Probable: 0
Damaged: 0

Losses:
AC: ok
Pilot: ok

Schmuck

Post by Schmuck » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:18 pm

Squadron: No. 501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Pilot Name: Schmuck
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia 100oct
Marking: L
Serial: V6646

Finally back home at Gravesend we sit in our crates awaiting orders, today F/O Teepee was in command again. It truly was a magnificent day. But I could of really had done without the heat. With the Radar heating up Blue and Red flight set out to patrol the coast looking for any Hun they could spot, While Yellow and Green flight remained at base.

It felt like an eternity sitting there in your crate hearing the R/T light up with sounds of enemy aircraft. F/O Robo and myself got to counting the Bolts in our Aircraft, 134 I think I got to before I was captivated by a shiny object down the way. It appears our maintenance and medical trucks were having a bit of a race and clobbered F/O Bunnys tail section. After yelling at those bastards he got back into his crate and joined us in counting the bolts, but before we could finish the last remaining flights of No.501 Squad were called into action! Our Hurricanes sprung to live, our engines mighty roar got us ready for battle. We made our way to the runway making a speedy take off and forming up rather quickly, however my aircraft felt a bit slow today. Having made it to the coast at angels 20, we started looking for trade. 11:30 Low, enemy 109, lets get the dive on him. Sabre and myself roll to follow Robo in on the dive. With no sight of Robo, Sabre and myself followed this 109 hoping to give him a good ol' de wilde welcome. Sabre got off a few rounds before we decided to break off and form back up with Yellow lead. We flew up and down the coast for at least 40 minutes until Yellow leader Robo could break off from his engagements and meet up with us. From what we heard Blue section took a fair bit of contact from a few Me 110's.

With Yellow leader back with us and no trade around Yellow and Blue make a call to head back home. Blue section was out front by about 300 yards and we soon caught up with them. Bunny called over the R/T said something about being able to see through Bonkins aircraft. Now I was a bit confused, but it wasn't until I could see day light through the tail section of his plane, that I realized what he meant. I form up next to him and say "My god Bonkin, did one of those 110's get you!?" With a chuckle he replies with, "I suppose so". After a good laugh on the way to Gravesend we set up for a dual formation landing, Blue section touched down first, then followed by Yellow. I exit my crate and realize I never broke the damned gun tape. Oh well, more ammunition to hunt the Hun with later!

Claims:
Destroyed: 0

Losses
A/C: Safe and sound at Gravesend
Pilot: Safe and sound in a pub near Gravesend

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:55 pm

Pilot Name: Sabre
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia 100oct
Marking: S for Sugar
Serial: P3397

It was a very sunny day at Gravesend and as we sit awaiting the call, the heat in the cockpit is becoming unbearable. I began to nod off several times and then a bit of radio traffic would rouse me from these mini slumbers. The CO called for a patrol to head off to the Manston area and search for Hun activity. FO Teepee soon had Blue and Red Sections of No. 501 airbourne and heading towards the coast. For what seemed like an eternity Yellow and Green flights remained at base. I dozed some more in the sun.

There was some little entertainment as some of the ground crews decided to race around the airfield. The "entertainment" was soon to end as one of the trucks collided with FO Bunny's aircraft. The CO was sure to hear of this on his return but for now everyone was just grateful nobody was hurt and PO Bunny managed to secure himself another ride for the journey that was sure to come soon ...... wasn't it! I knew things were getting bad when some of the boys resorted to counting bolts. I think Schmuck managed to get to 130 something when our call to arms finally came.

Yellow Section comprising myself as Yellow 2 with Robo as Yellow Leader and Schmuck as Yellow 3 quickly started engines and followed Green Section onto the strip for take-off. In no time we were in the air and headed East. There was all kinds of radio traffic with sightings of 110's and 109's. We headed towards Deal and as we reached the coast at about 18,000 feet Robo spotted a couple of 109's below us heading north. We rolled and dropped down onto their six with Robo successfully engaging the number two I tried to engage the lead 109, he noticed us coming and started to turn and head south and I followed him down with Schmuck covering my six. I managed to get some shots off but didn't notice any hits. The 109 was taking evasive action and was running south. I tried a couple of more specualtive shots but he was pulling away. With no way of catching him we broke off and attempted to meet up with Yellow Leader who was busying himself with Jerry somewhere around the coast. We flew up the coast towards Manston but only manged to find the friendly aircraft of No.501 Green Section. Robo eventually broke off from his engagements with the Hun to meet up with us around Manston.

With Yellow section back together and a full Green Section we decided to shut up shop for the day due to lack of trade. Yellow Leader soon had has link up with Green Section for the journey back to Gravesend where we circled as they landed in jolly good fashion. Now it was Yellow Sections turn to show what 501 is all about as we landed smartly and proceeded quickly to get a close up view of PO Bonkin's ventilated Hurricane.

Claims:
Destroyed: 0

Losses
A/C: Okay
Pilot: Okay
No.111 (Fighter) Squadron - "Adstantes" - Standing by
"Worry only on the things you can influence and accept there are things beyond your control"

Gromic
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Gromic » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:53 pm

Pilot Name: Gromic
Marking: Q

Had my hands full today with the R/T. Seems our WC wanted to see how much leadership overload I could take so I was kindly asked to take the reigns leading the wing towards multiple RDF sightings that were incoming from the french coast. Didn't take long before our usual, gathered comms turned into unrecognised gibberish as 64, 501 and 615 squadrons touched the easternmost english coast. The spits from 64 engaged multiple 109s over dover, 501 handed 110s over Manston a bloody nose and the hurricanes from 615 initially loitered over Cantebury as a second line of defense, but were eventually rerouted into the fray over Deal / Dover. To make matters worse, the RDF WAFS also blared altitudes, bearings, e/a numbers, etc. into my head simultaneously (wonder if they make that much noise on thier backs). My ears hurt.

Fritz also decided to have a word or two with me as I got caught alone with 4 of the hun just east of dover at angels 15. I zigged and zagged for minutes without them getting a solid shot off but eventually my luck ran out. I caught a bullet in an oil line just as I was telling one of the RDF lasses to take her marking poker and shove it where it does more good. Dove straight to the deck north of dover near the CH towers (where I swore I could see someone giving me the finger out of a window) without fritz on my six. My oil splattered windscreen reminded me that I wouldn't make it much further and so I climbed hard, using what energy I had left, clawing for altitude when just before the stall I opened the canopy and rolled my beloved queen one last time before I jumped.

At 1200 feet, 2 miles north of dover the air is remarkably quiet when hanging in your chute.

Claims:
Damaged: 1

Losses:
AC: destroyed
Pilot: bailed but unharmed.
32 Squadron / USAAF 84 Squadron

Fenris

Post by Fenris » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:09 pm

Pilot Name: Fenris
Marking: F

B flight of 64 squadron was a little late to the party, but we caught up with 3 110's at angels 20 trying to make their way back to France. Gold flight selected an enemy each, my victim saw me coming and dove away for the clouds. I almost had him, but eventually he managed to lose me in the clouds. I did not attack anyone else, most of them had probably gone back by then. Gold flight made for Hawkinge, where i landed uneventfully.

Claims:

Losses:
AC: ok
Pilot: ok
- Fluffy slippers on, gun button to fire! -

Meaker

Post by Meaker » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:25 pm

Pilot Name: ‘Meaks’ Meaker
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia (100 Oct)
Marking: G for George
Serial: P2793

COMBAT FLIGHT RECORD

I was as honoured again to fly as wingman to F/O Teepee,along with Sergeant Mauf as Blue 3 and S/A Toxic as Blue 4.Waiting for the inevitable ‘phone call’we brought ourselves to readiness,everything was checked and double checked,there was as always no room for error,we all knew the procedure.

The ‘phone call’ was made and Blue section sprang into action,the four of us lining up immediately behind our Blue Leader,.....no wait,came the call,get another section up there with you!,and so it fell upon Red section to back us up.

We were to patrol between Manston and Hawkinge down on the East coast,and within seconds we had started our Merlins and were roaring down the main strip at Gravesend,getting airborne with the intent on delivering a ‘bloody nose’ to Jerry.

F/O Teepee kept us in a tight disciplined formation on our journey to our patrol area,on reaching Manston Blue 4 came over the R/T and reported that he could spot two pairs of 110’s flying towards Ramsgate,on receiving this information Blue Leader swept us around and soon we were chasing down the hun invaders.

We had a vital altitude advantage over our hun adversaries and we made bloody good use of it,sweeping down on them,and decimating the invaders chances of survival,it was a pitiful sight to behold,all four 110 aircraft falling to British 501 gunfire,eureka!

After this very brief skirmish we made our way to the Deal area of the East coast where upon we came under attack from 109’s,our illustrious Blue Leader was hit and had to make an emergency landing at Canterbury.On hearing his message over the R/T,I rallied the remainder of Blue section to rendezvous over the Canterbury airfield area to reform,and within minutes I had found Blue 3 and was forming up on his aircraft.

We then headed South again,and after a small flight out into the Chanel,chasing more of the hun invaders back to France,Blue 3 radioed, he was ‘Winchester’ and was going to make a landing at Hawkinge.

On hearing his message I followed his aircraft back to Hawkinge,giving him cover,as he landed,and landed my kite soon after his ‘touchdown’,we parked up together,got out and walked over to the officers mess where upon large brandies were ordered.

In the evening we got back to Gravesend and a fine session of merriment got underway,the beer flowed and F/O Teepee brought out his ukulele and performed ‘Bless Them All’,'Our Seargeant Major','With My Little Stick of Blackpool Rock' and 'Aunt Maggie's Remedy' to us all,whilst the percussive section of 501 Squadron,accompanying him on the spoons,gave a wonderful percussive support,it became very apparent to everyone quite early into his rendition that the fine F/O had his RAF braces pulled up a tad too tight,but this did'nt seem to concern the F/O in anyway,and besides,it was a fantastic night enjoyed by all,and a sight to behold.

Just to get a feel of the atmosphere on Sunday night why not listen in?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7gfkPdK13Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tJ9Mq8nCM8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvNh40ZIRa0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VypRHitKnWk

Halcyon days,and a great day for 501's Blue section,I thought,......''he,he turned out nice again!''

Destroyed: None
Shared: 1xMe-110 with S/A Toxic
Damaged: 1xMe-109

Losses:
A/C: Ok,slight radiator damage
Pilot: Ok

Random

Post by Random » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:37 am

Squadron code: "KW"
Pilot name: Random
Date: 14th August 1940.
Squadron: No615.
Type: Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 100oct.Rotol.
Marking: N
Serial number:

The boss is still on extended leave so yet again I had to do a job i'm underqualified for. 615 were last into the air and vectored towards deal-dover. As we passed gravesend it was reported that it looked like the enemy were heading up towards Eastchurch so we climbed and loitered in the area hoping to catch them unawares.

Unfortunately this proved to be the wrong call and we had to rush to get towards deal. I spotted a mass of aircraft up around angels 12 but they appeared to be mostly friendly with a few 109's mixed in. Glancing down we spotted the bombers, Stukas low over deal heading south. We were too late, they must have made their attack and were now heading home. Red and Blue sections dived in, with yellow as usual staying above to watch for germans planning to ruin our fun.

I made a total of 3 passes. Holing the radiators of 2 Stukas. No. 3 burst into flames. Smoke blinded me and I pulled up but not soon enough. Felt an impact and although the aeroplane seemed to be intact I had no control. Baron confirmed the stuka was in pieces and on fire. I bailed out.

Claims:
Destroyed: 1
Probable:
Damaged: 2

Losses
Pilot: Wet
A/C: Destroyed

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:26 am

Squadron code: "KW"
Pilot name:Donkey.
Squadron: No615.
Base:Kenley
Type: Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 100oct.Rotol.
Marking:P for Pip.

Was assigned to red flight with Random as leader and Baron as red 2. I flew red 3. Didn't spend too long waiting today, our engines were started and we were scrambling within about 10 minutes of getting strapped in. Good orderly take off, and decent formation flying gave the whole of 615 a good boost of confidence. Went up to the Isle of Sheppey to patrol before being redirected to Dover. Whilst on our way south we spotted a huge swarm of JU-87s feet wet, low and heading for France. I followed Reds 1 and 2 into attack, making two passes and getting two streamers. On the first pass I saw Random destroy the rightmost '87 and Baron get a second one streaming. On my second pass the 87 gunners were pretty sharp and I took quite a few hits which resulted in me losing elevator. I managed to limp back to England using my trim for pitch control - although this was far too crude to allow me to put her down safely so when over land I pointed the old girl out to sea and bailed. My parachute deployed and I made it down in one piece.

Claims:
Destroyed:0
Probable:0
Damaged:2 (Ju87s)

Losses
Pilot:Will live to fight another day.
A/C:Written off.

Binkitone

Post by Binkitone » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:26 pm

Form 540
Mission 27
Squadron 64
Date: 14th August 1940
Time: 11.50
Aerodrome: Kenley
Aeroplane: Spitfire 1a (100oct) / SH-W Serial number: K9964

Synopsis:
First sortie of another day and blessed with our CO, Wing Commander Osprey joining us this morning. This time we were quickly scramble as RDF reporting hostile aircraft were already heading across the channel, so with no time to be lost our 'A' and 'B' flights were on a course 110 degrees to meet them at Dover.

I was out front as Red Two with Squadron Leader Gromic on my one o'clock as Red One, soon enough we were at fifteen thousand feet, Deal lay to my eleven o'clock, there were numerous contacts around the horizon, a neat formation of more than a dozen bombers, probably were Ju87s just below already crossing the coast westward.
Suddenly, aware of several other contacts, possibly 109s on my high ten o'clock, there was a call or confusion to intercept, I broke off to my left, climbing in a tight turn to pursue, no good, they undoubtedly have the height advantage.

Found myself now alone at angels twenty over Hawkinge with my targets slowly disappearing even higher into the distance to the south, decided to head back to Dover as RT was reporting that's where the main activity was taking place at much lower altitude.
Gradually, pushing my nose down to hasten my arrival, I approached Dover touching three fifty plus, levelling out at ten 'k', not immediately spotting any contacts until I pulled up into a left turn to fall well behind a couple of 109's, even with my increase speed they sped away before I manage a open up only to find myself being also 'sixed'.

A yellow nose was on my tail, letting its lethal dose on me, I instinctively broke to my right into a dive, it was still 'bloody' there as I continued to tightly turn horizontally, noticing then another of its sort joining an ever decreasing circle, more tracers whizzed pass my canopy heightening my concentration to survive. I weaved, changing directions several times, glancing frequently over my shoulder while gradually gaining height.

As quickly as it started, they were all gone, whew!
I was now in land of Deal heading north a eight 'k', with a sigh of relief, I examined my aeroplane expecting to see considerable damage, only to find a couple of well spaced bullet holes in my right wing.
The sky was clear as I climb toward Manston except for meeting a group of three Hurricanes, which seemed to be heading west, probably 501 gong back to Gravesend.
Noticing I had enough fuel, so I set course for Kenley, landing safely five minutes after W/C Osprey.