Adlerangriff. Mission 27: 14th August

RAF flight reports for the epic ACG Historical Campaign - "Peace In Our Time" covering the Fall of France and the Battle of Britain. We are recruiting new pilots so you can join this - post in the Reception to request a seat. This forum is publically viewable.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Bonkin

Re: Adlerangriff. Mission 27: 14th August

Post by Bonkin » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:36 pm

Squadron: No.501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron code: "SD"
Pilot name: Flying Officer Bonkin
Date: 14th August 1940
Base: RAF Gravesend
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia
Marking: "Z for Zebra"
Serial number: P3803

Synopsis
Waited and counted rivets whilst waiting to be scrambled to intercept multiple raiders in the Manston area. Arrived late to the party, shot down one Me109, took several hits by a M110 which made a harmless hole right through the fuselage. Returned to base safely but suspect my No.3 has access to intelligence data the rest of us don’t.

Full Report
The Boss had allegedly gone off to No.64 Squadron on a moral boosting effort. Rumour has it that he wants to see how they do things over there because a) they keep getting their fighting spirit chastised for chasing the enemy out to sea and b) they seem to have an issue with tire rot which is their explanation for the numerous take-off and landing incidents they suffer from. I think Nigsy and I should keep a low profile on that one.

Anyway, with the Boss away it meant the fearless 501 was going to be led by the heroic F/O Teepee of Blue section and so with the call to cockpit readiness, I gave Nigsy a pat on the head and climbed up and into my trusty machine to strap in.

It wasn’t long before the call for “A” flight to scramble was made and Merlin music erupted around the field as 7 majestic Hurricane’s came to life, made a brief taxi to the end of the runway and then leapt at incredible speed into the blue. Silence once again descended over the field and “B” flight (Green and Yellow sections) resorted to counting rivets and discussing the various methods of scramble starts, interrupted only by some excitement concerning the foolhardy jinx of drunken ground crew erks as they kangarooed and reversed their vehicles around the perimeter and into some stationary aircraft. Good job the Boss wasn’t around to see it.

We listened in awe as “A” flight attacked and destroyed the Hun invaders, whilst patiently waiting out turn to join the fray. I could tell from the deep sighs that the chaps were itching to give the Krauts a jolly good gloves-off-pants-down thrashing, but we had no way of contacting control to see when we would be needed. I figured we were obviously being held in reserve so that we could rush in to finish the Bosch off! I called Blue Leader but he was too busy shooting down enemy aircraft to answer my calls.

Suddenly Control woke up and we had the order to scramble. Cheers sounded all around as we started our engines and rapidly made our way to the runway. With a “Let’s go” I led “B” flight at amazing speed into the sky and we all marvelled at our climb rate as we made a max. power climb on our way towards Deal.

On the way, it was clear there was action all around the East Coast. First we were directed towards Deal, then Dover, then Eastchurch, then Dover again. I started to become a little suspicious of my No.3, the ever consistent and professional P/O Bully. He kept saying “I’ve got a feeling they’re at Deal”, or “No, head towards Dover now.” He has an uncle in some hush-hush ultra-secret branch that we can’t talk about… or so he says. Anyway, it seemed he had a better knowledge of where the enemy was than our controller so I decided to trust him.

Sure enough, as we approached the coast he called out the contacts low below us. With no eyes on the buggers I instructed him to take the lead and I looked around expecting to see him dive away – but in his eagerness to get to the Hun he’d already gone without waiting! Looking over my left shoulder I could see the daring F/O Bunny, firmly keeping station at my 4 O’Clock. Neither of us could see the action below us that we could hear going on over the R/T.

It was then that I spotted two Me109’s slightly above us so I climbed and turned onto the tail of the rear most one and started to close to within 250yds. He didn’t see me until it was too late and my eight powerful .303 browning’s gave him a fiery de-Wilde greeting. As he flipped over and into a dive trailing smoke I gave chase and the gallant F/O Bunny, who had now been joined by the unflinching Sgt Fang, went after his leader. I pumped more lead into the hapless 109 but as he descended past angels 15 I figured he was finished and so broke off my attack.

I could see above me Fang and Bunny dishing out a good beating to their 109 as well. Clearly this chap was in a panic and wanting to run home to his mummy, so I instructed to them to leave him alone, which they duly did.

As we climbed back up, I was suddenly hit by an incredible amount of tracer fire from almost dead ahead. Three Me110’s in line-astern had been hidden under my nose and the leader had managed to get some hits on me. I pushed the stick forward and turned towards the last one – but then thought better of it as I became increasing aware of the amount of cannons in his nose which he was trying to bring onto me.

I dived away, and looking behind me realised I was trailing thick black smoke. The Me110’s had completely disappeared – and thankfully now my fire had gone out. Miraculously my wonder machine flew on undamaged. Clearly the boffins at Hawkers had this sort of situation in mind, which is why they had opted for a fabric skin rather than a stressed metal fuselage.

As we returned to Gravesend F/O Bunny and Sgt Fang seemed to take great delight at waving at each other through my aircraft. Passing Eastchurch, Yellow section re-joined us and in true 501 style we returned to base in perfect formation.

I taxied in carefully and shut down. Thankfully, the drunken erks and their crashed vehicles were nowhere to be seen. As I climbed down Nigsy came running up and was very happy to see me. I couldn’t say the same for the crew chief though. He stood open mouthed in amazement at the hole through my aircraft. F/O Bunny didn’t seem too interested though. It looked like he was trying to retrieve something out of the mess.

After this we headed off to the bar to enjoy another evening of drunken revilement which ended, as is the norm these days, with another piano being torched. I really had no idea that F/O Teepee was such a good ukulele player – and when accompanied by P/O Meaker on his Banjo, it really made for an exciting night. Turned out nice again.

Claims
Destroyed: 0
Probable: 1 x Me109
Damaged: 0

Losses
Pilot: Ok
A/C: In need of some canvas and dope.

Midge

Post by Midge » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:17 pm

Squadron: No.615 "county of Surrey"Squadron
Squadron code: WK
Pilot name: Midge
Aerodrome: Kenley
Date:14th August 1940
Type: Hawker Hurricane Mk1 [100oct]
Serial no: 2564
Marking: C for Charlie

Panta formed up and took off from Kenley in record time ,me as yellow1 with Siddich yellow2 and Spud as yellow3.About 10 mins into the flight I found I had a terminal problem and had to return to base.

I got permission from adj to take up one of the Squadron's spare aircraft and headed in the general direction of Deal/Dover,where over the Rt I heard that Panta were in contact with the Hun and seemed to have had some success.By the time I got there the blighters were nearly back to France,i made 2 sweeps to see if there were any stragglers I found nothing,and headed back to base,on the way meeting up with the rest of yellow section and landed back at kenley frustrated but alive[always a good thing]

claims:

Destroyed: 0
Probable: 0
Damaged: 0

Losses:
Pilot: ok
Aircraft: ok

Vranac

Post by Vranac » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:40 pm

Squadron: No. 64 Squadron
Squadron Code: SH
Pilot Name: Vranac
Type: Spitfire Ia
Marking: V
Date: 14 Aug 1940
Base: Kenley

Takeoff from Kenley to intercept huge enemy raid on Dover. When closing to Dover area we spotted the bombers and a lot of fighter formations above them and higher than us.The battle began. I picked one Me 109 and gave him a good burst.
Plane started to leak coolant and oil.
I turned around and saw another one, chased him, got some shots and he stalled in front of me. I hitted him once more and glycol poured out of his rads when he dived down. I spotted the third but couldn't catch him so I turned back. Then I spotted one Me 110, closed up on him and pressed the trigger, De Wilde flashes on his engines and tail were impressive. He went down and Venom , who managed to stay with me all the time in those carousels gave him a few shots also. The battle was far from over, there were a lot of planes everywhere. We spotted a group of three fighters feet wet so we went after them. Then one big group of fighters came from South diving on those three so they dived toward France. We turned back and after some time I found one lonely 109 diving on some Hurricanes.
I picked him up and damaged his radiators so he dived down on the deck.
Everything calmed down and we went to landing.

Claims
Destroyed: 1 x Me109
Probable: 2 x Me109
Damaged: 1 x Me110

Losses
Pilot: Ok
A/C: Ok

Johnny

Post by Johnny » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:52 pm

Squadron: No. 615
Squadron Code: KW
Pilot Name: Johnny
Date: 14th August
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia 100 Oct
Marking: Z
Serial: L1592

claims: 1 confirmed flamer and 2 probables
pilot: Resqued by ASR
aircraft: Swimming with the fishies at the bottom of the channel!

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:08 pm

Squadron: No. 615
Squadron Code: KW
Pilot Name: Hollywood
Date: 14th August
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia 100 Oct
Marking: F

claims: 1 bomber
pilot: ok