Adlerangriff. Mission 28: 15th August (RDF attacks)

RAF flight reports for the epic ACG Historical Campaign - "Peace In Our Time" covering the Fall of France and the Battle of Britain. We are recruiting new pilots so you can join this - post in the Reception to request a seat. This forum is publically viewable.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Mauf

Adlerangriff. Mission 28: 15th August (RDF attacks)

Post by Mauf » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:22 pm

Squadron: No. 501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron Code: SD
Pilot Name: Mauf
Date: 15th Aug 1940
Base: Kenley
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia 100 Oct
Marking: D for Don
Serial: LI898

Synopsis:

After delivering two casks of Badgers Bullocks to Kenley field with Azref, we were drafted into 615 Squadron for a sorty to fill in for some lads who were bedridden thanks to fever. I got assigned as Yellow 4, flying as Midges Wingman. We were assigned on patrol duty over Littlestone to Rye area. Squadron engaged a pack of Stukas heading towards Rye at angels 13. Midge and I got seperated from the pack when what seemed like 4 109s dived through the formation., Spitfires hot on their tail. After circling about for a while searching for the Stukas, we followed a Radar plot of Stukas over the Dover area which we engaged as they headed out towards the channel. Midge went in first, flaming one Stuka but catching bullets into the engine. He had to bug out. I proceeded with my attack, hitting two Stukas. Both Stukas started spewing white steam and began bobbing down, slowly falling behind their peers. On a second run, I shot up a third Stuka spending every last bullet I had, white steam coming out and oil running across its side and cockpit glass. Winchester, I turned back towards home, deciding that I was pretty homesick by now and proceeded to land at Gravesend. Safely on the ground and parked, I jumped out of my Hurricane and went straight to the bar. I needed some Badgers Bullocks after this sorty...

Claims:
Confirmed: 0
Probable: 3xJu-87
Damaged: 0

Losses:
Pilot: Okay and happy to be home.
A/C: Okay, needs some patches over a few potholes from the Stuka gunners.

Maltloaf
Location: Salisbury Plain, birthplace of British military aviation.

Re: Adlerangriff. Mission 28: 15th August

Post by Maltloaf » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:28 pm

Squadron: No. 64 Squadron
Squadron Code: SH
Pilot Name: Maltloaf
Type: Spitfire Ia 100 octane
Marking: I for Ink
Date: 15 Aug 1940

Only 2 in Blue Section, myself and Luke. We bounced a couple of 109s just west of Dungeness at 10k, Luke did a grand job and I tucked in behind. We moved east after this and got split up and I teamed with Dange for a while. I bounced a sitting 109 and burst both his rads. He followed us about for a while until Dange saw him off.

The Flt moved east to Manston to help out the Boss who was having a party with some 109s. I got split from Luke again and took a burst from a 109 in the wings and engine. As luck would have it I was perfect distance from Manston to execute a single circuit with no engine and no elevators gliding on trim and ailerons alone. Nice wheels up landing and walked away. New prop and paint required.

Claims:
Confirmed: 0
Probable: 1 shared

Losses:
AC: Chiefy will have it looking perfect by morning.
Pilot: ok
"I have never once lost my gratitude for those who were the sentinels and held the line between tyranny and civilisation"

Luke

Post by Luke » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:35 pm

Pilot Name: Luke
Type: Spitfire Ia 100 octane
Marking: R for Romeo

Claims:
Confirmed: 2x BF108 + 1 shared BF110 with fenris (Zalzam was flying the 110)
Probable: 0

Losses:
AC: at the bottom of the channel
Pilot: forgot his armbands and drowned

Kev
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Kev » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:44 pm

Squadron: No.615 "County of Surrey" Squadron
Squadron Code: KW
Pilot Name: Kev
Call sign: Red 3
Date: 15th August 1940
Time: 19.40hrs
Type: Hurricane I Rotol
Marking: L - London
Serial Number: V6618

Synopsis:

Panta Sqn scrambled from Kenley and set course for the Hawkinge sector. We climbed to 15,000 feet in good time and sighted a large flight of Ju87’s crossing the coast near Dungeness. Having evaded an attacking Bf109 I dived after the En bombers. It was at this point I experienced a freeze. When the game resumed I was a smoking pile on the ground. Splendid!!

A most regretful way to meet one's demise..

End Report

Claims:

Destroyed: Nil
Probable: Nil
Damaged: Nil
Losses: 1xHurricane-serial:V6618
Pilot: KIA <---Osprey: Harsh death, don't count it

End Report

JT Kev 615 Sqn

Redeye

Post by Redeye » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:51 pm

Pilot Name: Redeye
Type: Spitfire Ia 100 Oct
Marking: P for Pip
Serial: K9964

Synopsis:
A flight took off and proceeded to Gravesend where we nearly had a quick end to our war effort thanks to a Hurricane squadron going straight through our formation.

A flight was further split up and White flight was sent to cover a group of Hurricanes as the made their way towards Dover. White 3 had engine trouble, leaving only me and Vranac.

20+ bombers were spotted feet wet off Dover with snapper at high altitude. Vranac proceeded to engage with me on his six, damaging two 109, the second spewing glycol and flames eating on its left wing. We kept circling and proceeded to engage a flight of 4 x 109's heading north just west of Deal at some angels 15.

After a long a messy knifefight, Vranac bailed, but not before scrathing the paint of several of our opponents. I proceeded to dive for the deck and headed for Canterbury, where I climbed and headed for Manston, where a number of german fighters were heavily engaged from ground level up to 10k feet.

Playing cat and mouse with the Hun, me and Gromic took turns inflicting hits on a 109. I claim this 109 as damaged. One cheeky 109 tried to end me, but I managed to turn the tables on him and followed him south on the deck but out of range. A Hurricane swooped in and pumped the hun full of lead and he spiraled out of control and into the sea.

I then engaged a flight of 4 Bf 110's heading west after shooting up Manston. 3 Hurricanes joined the show, so there was one for each of us. I followed mine and made several passes inflicting hits, before he went belly up and bailed north of Ramsgate at low altitude. 1 chute opened and I watched the husk of the Zerstorer splash into the sea. I claim this bf 110 as destroyed.

I regrouped with the Sqn Cmdr and chased after a 109 heading south and climbing and making booming attacks on us. We evaded and continued the hunt. The E/A did not turn for France but continued to attack us and changing course multiple times. He made a last ditch dive in and was joined by another 109. One E/A scored hits on my left wing, greatly reducing my speed and lift. We contued fighting, but shortly after the CO was hit as well. One 109 missed a pass at me and I took at potshot as he dived down that perforated his radiators, with glycol pouring out of both sides of the fuselage. I claim this 109 as damaged. The CO had to jump. No alone, I tried to limp my injured crate back at sea level, but a rather angry german came in and shot me up, forcing me to ditch my AC in the Channel. Shocked to be alive, I pushed open the canopy and inflated my Mae West. After lying in the waves for what felt like eternity a small boat came in and dragged me to safety. (Server message)

Claims:
Confirmed: 1
Damaged: 2

Losses:
Pilot: Wet, shaken and stirred.
A/C: Lost

Katt

Post by Katt » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:31 pm

Squadron: No. 615 "County of Surrey" Squadron
Pilot Name: Katt
Date: 15 Aug 1940
Type: Hawker Hurricane 1A 100 Oct
Marking: A
Serial Number: P2581

Synopsis

Launched as Red Two with Spud as Red Leader, joined up in good order and proceeded to the assigned patrol area. At the direction of Red One we attacked a formation of Ju87's from their high five o'clock, Red Lead collided with one of the enemy aircraft and exploded. I attacked and damaged a total of three Stukas with one streaming and disengaged. Based on calls from another pilot advising of Me110s in the Manston area I proceeded north, approached two from the low six oclock, causing damage but did not manage to knock down either of them after two attacks. Ran out of ammo and recovered at Hawkinge.

Claims
Destroyed: 0
Probable: 1 Ju87
Damaged: 2 Ju87s and 2 Me110s

Losses
Pilot: Ok
A/C: Undamaged

Siddich

Post by Siddich » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:00 pm

Squadron: No.615 "County of Surrey" Squadron
Pilot Name: Siddich
Call sign: Yellow 2
Date: 15th August 1940
Time: 19.40hrs
Type: Hurricane I Rotol
Marking: H - Harry
Serial Number: L2025

Synopsis:

Took of as Yellow 2 together with Johnny.
Sighted a huge formation of Stukas.
Stayed higher then rest of our squadron, to prevent them from incoming 109s.

Found 3 of them divin downg; followed them, damaged one.
as they were running away engaged rest of the bombers. got 6 of them streaming, one of them pretty badly, leaking fuel, could see dead gunner in rear seat, was banking downwards, as i climbed up after attack, probable kill.
I emptied my guns on these stukas and went home to Kenley with a leaking wingtank.

End Report

Claims:

Probable: 1 x Ju 87
Damaged: 1 x Bf 109
5 x Ju 87s

Pilot: fine
AC: leaking right wingtank and a few minor holes of reargunnerfire...

End Report

Dange

Post by Dange » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:21 am

Date: Aug. 15, 1940
Time:16:00 hrs.
Pilot Name: Dange
Type: Spitfire Ia (100)
Marking: M for Mother
Serial number: N 3122

Flight Report :

No.2 in Gold flight ( Tyrone # 1/ Fenris # 3 ) lifted off with no incidents ( had to dodge 2 Hurris ) and climbed to altitude as cover for No.615. swinging out over the channel north of Dover followed Lead and Fenris in a dive on a 109 . Hits by Tyrone. Stayed high and id'd a lone 109 . Closed on his 6 and scored good hits to his engine and caused fuel and coolant venting. Lost contact with the 109 and flight . Proceeded toward Manston and took a few shots at a venting 109. I then had to dodge two additional 109 's until Redeye and CO Gromic arrived to engage them . They worked them over but unfortunately the CO had to bail and Redeye crash landed in the channel. I headed west and landed at Maidstone.

Claims:

Probable: 1 x 109
Damaged: 1 x Bf 109 ( shared )

Losses:
Pilot: Ok
A/C: one or two bullet holes

Spud

Post by Spud » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:10 am

Squadron: No. 615 "County of Surrey" Squadron
Pilot Name: Spud
Date: 08/16/1940
Time: 1600 hrs.
Type: Hawker Hurricane
Marking: R
Serial number: N2335

Synopsis:

Sitting in the mess this morning I had a feeling that today was going to be a wonderful day. I had my tea. I had my toast and jam. All I needed was the morning newspaper to make everything perfect. I was drifting off into a beautiful daydream where I was on holiday, fly rod in hand, as I explored the chalkstreams and stalked brown trout that rose eagerly to my well-presented dry fly. But that all ended in a hurry.

“Spud!! The Wing Commander is on the phone and wants to have a word with you!!” A hundred thoughts raced through my mind. What have I done now? And how the hell did he figure out I “re-painted” my spinner again?? I put the receiver to my ear and awaited my fate.

“Hallo, Spud”, Osprey said through the static of the phone lines, “Seems Hawes is still out there running rampant across the French countryside and Random has fallen ill. I’m guessing it’s a terrible case of the clap. I swear, that damn Yvette has taken out more people in this wing than the bloody hun. Anyways, I’m putting you in charge of 615 today. We’re going to be spread thin and I’m expecting Jerry to throw everything he has at us today. You think you can handle it, old chap”?

Shocked that I wasn’t getting my weekly ass chewing, I quickly answered, “Yes, Sir”…… “Right then”, Osprey continued. “Your numbers are low so I’m sending Azfef and Mauf over from the mighty 501 to help you out. No doubt they’ll make sure 615 does things right for a change. So set them up as you see fit. You’ll also have a flight from 64 giving you cover”. My head was now starting to spin. Formations. Wingmen. Navigation. Finding the enemy. Radio calls. This won’t be easy. “I will need you to patrol 2 areas. One area is from Folkestone to Littlestone. The other is from Littlestone to Rye. Patrol at 12 thousand feet and be sure to give Jerry a damn good thrashing today”. And before my dry throat could answer him, Osprey hung up the phone and the line went dead. So much for that wonderful day.

At dispersal, I put Hollywood in charge of Blue flight and Johnny in charge of Yellow. Chain smoking seemed to calm my nerves a bit as we headed out for the flight line. I could see the shiny white spinner of KW-R from a mile away. Perhaps this was Osprey’s form of punishment for non-compliance of his “Black Spinner Rule”.

As a flight of 64 boys started to taxi to the runway, we were given our start up orders. We lined up on the taxiway in good time and once the order to scramble was given, we were off without a hitch. After a couple of circuits around the airfield to form up, we headed east in a climb towards Littlestone. Radar plots were coming in now. 60 plus bandits here. 10 plus bandits there. Jerry really was putting an effort into it today. We leveled off at Angels 15 and powered up for our best speed. Pulled the tit. Full power. Props at 2700 rpm. Rads at 50%. Our speed climbed rapidly as we headed for the coast. Just before going feet wet at Littlestone we spotted a flight of 10 plus Stuka’s with fighter cover at our 1 o’clock low. We turned into them and I ordered Red and Blue flights to take on the Ju-87’s while Yellow flight took on the 109’s with the 64 sqd element.

I opened up my rads, ran the props up to 2800, set my sight for “Stuka” and rolled in with Kat and Kev. I lined up a juicy Ju-87 in my sights and just as I went to press the trigger……….. My freakin screen froze!!! Great time for a lag. And with that, I ended up warping THROUGH the Stuka I was aiming at and then promptly exploded…………. Fantastic……… With no time for a re-spawn, I had to call it a day. But since the Stuka blew up with me, I’m claiming his ass as confirmed!!!

Claims:
Confirmed: 1 Ju-87
Probable:
Damaged:

Losses:
Pilot and A/C both lost to warping..... <--- Osprey: Don't count as death
Yes........ I AM what's wrong with the world today....... Deal with it!!

Robo

Post by Robo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:13 am

Squadron: No. 501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron Code: SD
Pilot Name: F/O Bailey.
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia 100 Oct
Marking: U for Uncle
Serial: N3822

Synopsis:

Leading the Gold section again today, this time Dave and Broadsword as number 2 and 3 respectively. We scrambled straight away to intercept a large enemy raid. 50 plus this time, oh dear. Mandril splits in 2 sections with A Flight, Red and Blue heading towards Dover, and B flight, Green and Gold heading Manston way. No contact with the enemy made over North Foreland, we turn right towards Dover. A flight reports contact, we see them soon, too - Stukas, again in a beatiful big vic formation, snappers on the back. Watch out, lads, one pass and keep looking back. Blimey, just as we come closer and in position for attack, I see Dave struggling to keep up with us. ''It's the oil pressure, sir, I am terribly sorry''. His airplane is fairly old, perhaps it didn't cope with the strain as we pulled the tit in the climb. Return to base, sergeant, don't risk getting in fight like this, you get plenty chances tomorrow. He peeled off reluctantly. Gold section attacking, gunsight 45 feet. I dove on the rearmost Stuka on the very right, scoring good hits in the with a long burst. Enemy aircraft rolled away from the formation and went straight in. I claim one Ju-87 destroyed over Dover. The formation turned north as the snappers dropped on us from all directions. Keep your 6 clear chaps, don't get too fixated on your target or you become one. I took evasive action three or four times. I climbed inland and flew parallel with the Stukas, who got a very good beating. I have not seen a single 109 in my vicinity and flew full power towards Manston. I spotted a Hurricane behind a 109 right over Pegwell bay, he was doing a good job whoever it was. The 109 splashed into the water. I noticed I had several bullet holes in my port wing from my first attack. Oh dear, when will this madness end. On advice of F/O Bully I dove towards the radar station to intercept the remainder of the Stukas. Unless the big formation split, there were only 3 Stukas left to attack the radar towers. I followed them as they were leaving the area and attacked one pair just E of Manston. Just as I stuck into the e/a, I flew through stream of tracers of his fellow. My target was done for, flying inverted and crashing in the sea around 4 miles off shore. No parachutes seen. I claim Ju-87 destroyed. Before I could get ready for another attack, I realised I got hit in the engine and was forced to disengage for I felt severe lack of power from my trusty Merlin. This is the second time I got shot down. My engine seized soon after and I made an emergency belly landing at Manston airfield.

Claims:
Confirmed: 2xJu-87

Losses:
Pilot: OK.
A/C: Damaged, belly landed at Manston after being hit in the engine by Stuka rear gunner