Adlerangriff. Mission 28: 15th August (RDF attacks)

RAF flight reports for the epic ACG Historical Campaign - "Peace In Our Time" covering the Fall of France and the Battle of Britain. We are recruiting new pilots so you can join this - post in the Reception to request a seat. This forum is publically viewable.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Skin Team, Treasurers, Administration Staff

Robo

Re: Adlerangriff. Mission 28: 15th August

Post by Robo » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:59 pm

Gromic wrote:Pilot: drowned 500 yards SE of dover harbour
Really? Is that what the script said? :lol:

Looky

Post by Looky » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:43 pm

Squadron: No. 64 Squadron
Squadron Code: SH
Pilot Name: Looky
Type: Spitfire Ia 100 octane
Marking: A for "Apple"
Date: 15th Aug 1940
Base: Kenley

Claims:
Destroyed: 0
Probable: 0
Damaged: 2 x bf109

Losses:
AC: light damage
Pilot: ok

Bully

Post by Bully » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:21 pm

Squadron: No. 501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron Code: SD-B
Pilot Name: Bully
Base: Gravesend
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia 100 Oct
Marking: B for Beer
Serial: L2038

Damaged one Ju87 on first pass, get hits onto his tail. Following Green section round to attack again, and got good hits on a second Stuka. The gunners got their own back though and took out my water radiator.

Dropped down to Manston and got wheels down just in time. While taxing round to the hangers, I heard the air raid sirens start to go off around the airfield. Looking up i could see four 110s heading straight for me, but before I had undone my harness and run away, the bullets from the 110s hit my aircraft, taking out the undercarriage and causing severe damage to my tail section. I lay there, stricken in the middle of the airfield, but my heart lifted when looking up I saw a Hurricane giving chase to a lonely 109 over the airfield. Just as the Hurricane was about to deal a deadly blow, a rotten Spitfire jumped in and also started to attack. However the mighty hurricane was to good for the Spitfire and the 109 and managed to shot the enemy down. It latter transpired that this brave Hurricane pilot was F/O Teepee, what a fine chap.

Claims
Damaged: 2 x Ju87s

Losses:
Aircraft: Worked will be needed
Pilot: OK

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:29 pm

Squadron: No. 501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron Code: "SD"
Pilot Name: Fg Off. "Bunny" Hewitt
Base: RAF Station Kenley
Type: Hawker Hurricane Mk 1a (100 Oct)
Marking: "N" for Nuts
Serial Number: P3084

Synopsis:

The squadron was split into two flights, green were to fly with red, blue and gold, the two favourites, were to head out together to patrol Manston. Red and green were to head towards Deal, with the enemy expected at the south coast's airfields.

Flying as Green 2, next to Bullish Bully as Green 3, and both pushing Ballsy Bonkin ahead of them as Green Leader, we headed off into the sun to find the hun - keen to deal deadly death in the shape of pointed laed.

The flight cross-country was a long and uneventful one, perfect formation as ever, we turned near Deal towards Hawkinge. Not long after the turn enemy were spotted on our 12 o'clock. Bonkin gave the order to hit the far right, as we thrust straight towards them, hitting the formation from their port side. I got hits in one - a Stuka - and pulled out from the dive, closely following Bonkin. We wheeled right to turn in on the formations's port side again - all three B's keeping together. We approached three Stukas from the rear - Bonkin went for the left, I took the middle - I couldn't see Bully, I assume he was behind me. Again, hits into the rear of my target, but these buggers were hard to destroy! Bonkin called out he'd been hit by a Hurricane! Green Section turned to the left, just as Bully called out he'd got one on fire. Glancing behind me I could make out the aircraft in question, great swathes of black smoke pouring from it as it broke from the others, heading seawards.

109s finally caught up with us - 64 must have covered us quite decently, to get away with so much carnage without being hassled. The heat was being turned up for us - I approached again from a Stuka's 6, checking mine in the process. As I opened fire, he did the same and I caught a piece of shrapnel in my left arm. I saw my hits strike his fuselage, and only hoped the gunner received similar payback. I passed over them, rolled left, then climbed and dropped down on their right. A low approach kept me away from their gunners, but then the unforgettable sound of a 109 passed close by. There, on my left, losing energy as he swung left and right to try and line up with some poor sod ahead, was the culprit. I turned to gain on his six, he was flying relatively straight and level amongst the Stukas now. I lined up and let a short burst off. Hits on his port wing gave my presence away - he dropped to the left, I tailed him, and followed as he climbed towards Manston Bay. Bully called out he was deadstick at Manston - thank God he was still with us! I continued to follow the 109 as we approached the air above Manston - still following the Stuka formation. I could see he was now venting what looked like fuel or glycol - I wasn't sure which. Another Hurricane passed over me, with more energy, towards the same 109 - then another 109 passed me on my port side, heading for the faster Hurricane. I tried to call out to him, to warn him, but the words wouldn't form, and I felt my head slump forwards, then nothing.

Claims
3 x Ju87 Damaged
1 x 109 Damaged

Aircraft: Destroyed
Pilot: Dead

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Gromic
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Gromic » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:56 pm

Robo wrote:
Gromic wrote:Pilot: drowned 500 yards SE of dover harbour
Really? Is that what the script said? :lol:
lol - no. I had 2 minutes chute time to plot my position before turning into fish n chips. Funny thing is, I see Redeye's spit splash into the water as I'm hanging there. He's still in it. Amazingly, he survives - I fuckin' drown. To hell with british nylon. I'll take a papermache chute next time. At least it doesn't drag you into the depths of the channel.

blub blub
32 Squadron / USAAF 84 Squadron

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:28 pm

Squadron: No.501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron code: "SD"
Pilot name: Pilot Officer Sabre
Date: 15 Aug 1940
Base: RAF Gravesend
Type: Hawker Hurricane Mk 1A (100oct)
Marking: "S for Sugar"
Serial number: P3397

Took off as Red 2,with the CO leading Red section and a new chap called Leifer as Red 3.

We were headed out to patrol all along the coast and were shortly in action around Dover. The order came to engage and calls of "Tally Ho" were heard throughout. We turned to engage the Ju87's and I made my first pass getting hits on one Stuka. I climbed up and came around for another pass getting hits on a second Ju87 but before I could peel away I took hits to my engine and water radiator and then blood splattered up into my face and everything was starting to go red.

I started to dive away and had site of Manston with a lot of height but my engine was dead. The pain and agony crept through my body and slowly but surely the site of Manston faded from view until the world was black ...............................

Claims:
Destroyed:
Probable:
Damaged: 2 x Ju87

Losses:
Pilot: KIA
A/C: Lost
No.111 (Fighter) Squadron - "Adstantes" - Standing by
"Worry only on the things you can influence and accept there are things beyond your control"

Midge

Post by Midge » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:25 pm

Squadron: No.615"County of Surrey Squadron"
Squadron code: KW
Pilot name: Midge
Date: 15 August 1940
Type: Hawker Hurricane Mk1[100oct]
Marking: C for Charlie
Serial no: P2564

claims:

Destroyed 0
Probable 1
Damaged 1

Losses:

Pilot fine
A/C damaged---spares anybody!

Vranac

Post by Vranac » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:05 pm

Pilot Name: Vranac
Type: Spitfire Ia
Marking: V

We took off from Kenley and flew toward Gravesend to meet our Hurricanes. Three of us in White flight went with 6 Hurries toward Deal.
Greezy had some trouble so I orderd him to go back and land. When approaching the coast we saw a big bomber formation and fighter cover above. We rushed toward fighters and I jumped at their six. they dived and than climbed again. I attacked one and got some hits, his wing was burning. He dived away and I picked another one giving him a good burst and one more when he staled in front of me.
When I turned I saw another enemy group of 5 Me109's. They saw us and started to climb. I followed and long and exhausting battle started.
I stayed in turns trying to get some of them out of combat and they were all around us shooting from all directions. Two or three times I straightened up to get some shoots and every time I was shoot at. Nevertheless, I managed to get some light damage on two of them.
Watching Redeye beeing sixed just bellow me I dived on that Me109 than climbed again. Than plane shaked and I saw a big hole on my wing.
I ordered Redeye to run away and I'll try to keep them occupied a bit more. After a few turns my wing broke and I bailed out at the coast near Deal. That fight probably lasted a bit more than 5 minutes but felt like an eternity.

Claims:
Destroyed: none
Probable: none
Damaged: 2 x Me109

Losses:
Pilot: Ok
A/C: Lost

Tyrone
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Tyrone » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:32 pm

Pilot Name: Tyrone
Type: Spitfire Ia 100 octane
Marking: T

Claims:
Destroyed: 1x 109 1x110
Damaged:

Losses:
AC: damage
Pilot: ok bailed over home land

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:42 pm

Squadron: No.501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron code: "SD"
Pilot name: Flying Officer Bonkin
Date: 15th August 1940
Base: RAF Gravesend
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia
Marking: "Z for Zebra"
Serial number: P3803

Synopsis
Scrambled to intercept multiple raiders in the Deal area. Attacked a mass of Ju87s off the coast and damaged two before taking hits to the cooling system and engine. In true 501 style I carried on fighting and damaged a third before dropping out to land at Manston just as the engine was quitting. Crew bus back to Gravesend.

Full Report
Red and Green flew together today as one flight whilst Blue and Gold flew as another. Once again I was detailed to lead Green section with the valiant F/O Bunny as Green 2 and plucky P/O Bully as Green 3.

Shortly after we scrambled the two flights split and our flight, led once again by our intrepid Wg Cdr Osprey, headed to our designated patrol area between Deal and Folkestone. ‘B’ flight, led by the heroic F/O Teepee had a patrol area between Manston and Deal. Once again, the fearless 501 were ready to deal out death and destruction (with pants down) to any Hun brave enough to try and fly over our green and pleasant land. I think No.615 were in the air somewhere as well, together will some Spitties – although they seemed to be following us like they were lost again.

No sooner had we arrived at the start of our patrol than the eagle eyes of F/O Bully spotted some Hun invaders off the coast of Deal. I’m seriously beginning to wonder how he always seems to know where to look.

The Spitties who had been following us suddenly seemed to disappear (God knows where), so that left ‘A’ Flight with a perfect opportunity to wipe the skies clear of the black crossed harbingers of doom. The buggers were quickly identified as Stukas and with much excitement we commenced a dive to attack. I ordered Green section to attack the starboard vic and we ripped through their formation at incredible speed, riddling several machines as we went with the amazing firepower of our .303 brownings.

Green 2 and Green 3 were, as always, impeccably placed in perfect formation and we climbed up and around for a second attack. Thankfully there were no 109’s around to hassle us, (or Spitties to shoot over our shoulders).

On my first pass I had plastered the lead Stuka with de-Wilde all around the cockpit area. Now on my second pass I attacked another Stuka from the 6 o’clock position and inflicted damage all around his radiator. As I pulled off though his rotter of a gunner must have got lucky because several rounds smashed into my machine and I could see the coolant temperature start to rise.

Only time for one more attack I thought. So I hastily rolled off the top and dived down to attack a third Stuka which had become separated from the formation. The awe inspiring speed of the Hurricane gave me little time to pump the rotter with lead though, so I had to throttle right back and yaw like crazy to stop myself going past him. I expended the last of my ammunition at the blighter and then rolled off and headed towards Manston. That bastard is not going home I thought as I nursed my damage kite towards safety.

Over the R/T I could hear 501 still continuing to dish out a good thrashing to the hapless invaders and as I crossed the threshold with two greens my engine gave a final cough and splutter, leaving me to put it down gently and coast to a stop just off of the runway.

I quickly unstrapped and climbed out and then ran to the nearest Bofors emplacement. I tried to argue with the crew to let my take over firing the gun but they were having none of it so I had to resign myself to watching the ensuing battle from the ground.

Later that day I managed to get a crew bus back to Gravesend to enjoy another evening of drunken revilement. No sign of my No.2 or No.3 though – and P/O Meaker’s banjo sat lonely on a chair unused.

On the bright side, Nigsy was mightily pleased to see me, and F/O Teepee was wheeling in a second piano ready for torching – and his ukulele was tucked under his arm. It was going to turn out nice again!

Claims
Destroyed: 0
Damaged: 3 x Ju87

Losses
Pilot: Ok
A/C: In need of an engine change.