Adlerangriff. Mission 29: 15th August (Rochester 1500)

RAF flight reports for the epic ACG Historical Campaign - "Peace In Our Time" covering the Fall of France and the Battle of Britain. We are recruiting new pilots so you can join this - post in the Reception to request a seat. This forum is publically viewable.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Bunny

Re: Adlerangriff. Mission 29: 15th August (Rochester 1500)

Post by Bunny » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:47 pm

Squadron: No. 501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron Code: "SD"
Pilot Name: Fg Off. "Bunny" Hewitt
Date: 15th Aug 1940
Time: 1500
Base: RAF Station Gravesend
Type: Hawker Hurricane Mk 1a (100 Oct)
Marking: "N" for Nuts
Serial Number: P3084

Synopsis:

With Fg. Off. Bonkin away on some higher calling mission, Green section had the honour of a new recruit, Ojas. He flew as Green 3, I as Green 2, and Plt. Off. Bully took the point as Green Leader. We were to be B Flight, along with Gold section.

On take-off we were headed towards Ramsgate direction, but soon sighted two enemy contacts just south of Eastchurch, on our low 2 o'clock. We'd lost Ojas, I believe he may have had engine trouble, so Bully and I were sent in to deal with these two 109s by Plt.Off. Robo. Bully called out he was taking the front one, I got the sloppy second, as per usual. We had a height advantage, abd Bully started tailing the lead hun. As he did so, the second hun started to pull on to his six. Bully got some shots off, and his target evaded by dropping. I could then see my target closing in on Bully, I was still too far away to help, but Bully pulled right, my target following. Bully kept the right-hand turn, allowing me to cut the corner and close the distance, so I could help. All the while I could see tracers spewing from the 109, but I was getting closer and closer. Eventually I could safely let some shots off - the hun immediately started venting fuel from both wings, and dropped to evade me. Robo called out to disengage - no point in losing altitude to follow him down, and we'd showed them we weren't to be messed with! We were headed towards Ramsgate by the Officer Commanding, Wing Co Osprey - multiple contacts spotted at angels 17 via the RDF. We picked up flak on our left on the way to Manston, at angels 18 - Robo called out we were clear. Not long after Bully spotted 110s at Manston, orders were given to get stuck in. They had 109s with them - one streaming, probably the one I shot earlier. Robo put a call out to A-flight for possible help - we were 4 aircraft to six enemy. I lost eyes on Bully, and eventually found them, but took hits from behind - my rads took the brunt of the force. I continued to tangle with the 109 on my arse, and soon picked up another three! Bully told me to get down if I could, but I didn't fancy leaving him up there with those four buggers, so continued to twist and turn whilst I could, giving them something to aim at and a reason to bleed energy and height. I let a few off at one flying across my path but saw no hits - and tried to climb after him to no avail. He had far too much energy. Finally the old crate gave in and the engine spluttered. I popped open the canopy, in case I had to bail, and descended towards Manston. Wheels down before the engine packed in completely, flaps still worked, so alanding was possible, although the ground crew aren't going to be chuffed about the nose over on the runway!

Claims
1 x 109 Damaged

Aircraft: Serviceable, somewhat.
Pilot: Bruised and shaken, but able to hold a pint, so all good.

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:03 pm

Squadron: No.501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron code: "SD"
Pilot name: Flying Officer Bonkin
Date: 15th August 1940 15:00
Base: RAF Kenley
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia
Marking: "Z for Zebra"
Serial number: P3803

Synopsis
Temporarily posted to No.615 to boost their numbers. Led Yellow section with the plucky P/O Sabre and acted as top cover with Green section as Red and Yellow gave the hun a gloves off spanking. Eager to join the fray I rushed into the attack at the first opportunity and ended up taking the tail off a Do17 with my own machine. Lights out.

Full Report
Here I was again in the Boss’ office with my faithful Nigsy at my side. What was it this time? What sort of trouble had Nigsy gotten me into this time? I couldn’t recall any visiting Spitties so I was sure it wouldn’t be a case of tire rot again.

“This is the way it is Pilot Officer” the Boss began. “No.615 have been having a pretty rotten time of it of late. They’ve been dishing out a pants down thrashing to the Boche but they’ve also been on the receiving end of it as well – and I’ve got orders to send some of our best men over there to boost up their numbers a bit.”

I semi-blushed at the compliment I was sure was coming my way.

“Thing is pilot officer, I can only spare two of my best… “

My pride was welling (with my blush).

“… so what I need you to do is to take P/O Sabre and LAC Schmuk over to Kenley and make sure they are kept safe. We can’t have these two promising chaps coming to any harm now can we?”
“No sir” I stammered as my gaze drifted to the floor at my feet.
“That’s it then, off with you now. You’re dismissed.”
I turned to head out the door with Nigsy at my side.
“Oh leave the mutt”.
“Sir?”
“That dog – he’s a 501 mascot. You’ll have to leave him here. Can’t damage the morale of the squadron by taking him with you now can we?”
“No sir”.

I couldn’t help but wonder about my faithful friend as we roared off down the runway at Kenley. Would he be looking to the skies waiting on my return – or was he being made a fuss off by the boys at Gravesend? At least that Nitrous fellow was also at Kenley so Nigsy would not have to suffer his glands being squeezed again.

On the climb out I marvelled as usual at the impressive climb rate of the Hurricane. I also marvelled at the impeccable formation these guys of No.615 were keeping. I had been detailed by Sqd Ldr Spud to lead Yellow section with P/O Sabre. The Sqd Ldr was an impressive fellow. We’d been discussing tactics prior to take-off and I could see that his calm manner commanded the respect of his men. I also deeply suspected that here was a steely eyed killer that enjoyed his work.

It wasn’t long before the mighty No.615 was heading into the attack. “Red and Blue follow me into the attack, Green and Yellow - you provide top cover.” the Sqd Ldr ordered.

A chorus of “Tally Hoe’s followed” and the sky became a playground of bullets, fire, smoke and parachutes.

The fearless P/O Sabre was stuck to my side like glue as we engaged the first of the 109’s… a burst of my incredible firepower just missing his starboard wing. We carried on twisting and turning and I realised the 109’s were doing their job because the bomber formation was moving away from us. “Yellow section request permission to engage bombers” I called on the R/T and having been given an affirmative I pulled the tit and gave chase.

Very rapidly I singled out a lone Do17 and pulled the trigger sending bits of him flying off into his slipstream. The amazing speed of the Hurricane took me by surprise and as I tried to break away I took the bombers tail clean off. My machine disintegrated around me in a big fireball and as the darkness rapidly approached I wondered what would happen to my faithful hound and how long he would wait for my return.

Claims
Destroyed: 1 x Do17
Probable: 0
Damaged: 0

Losses
Pilot: Strawberry jam
A/C: All over the countryside near Canterbury
Last edited by Bonkin on Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vranac

Post by Vranac » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:37 pm

Squadron: No. 64 Squadron
Squadron Code: SH
Pilot Name: Vranac
Type: Spitfire Ia
Marking: V
Date: 15 Aug 1940
Base: Kenley

Claims:
Destroyed: 1x Me 109
Damaged: 1x Me 109

Losses:
AC: ok
Pilot: ok

Bully

Post by Bully » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:23 pm

Squadron: No. 501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron Code: "SD"
Pilot Name: Bully
Date: 15th Aug 1940
Time: 15:00
Base: RAF Gravesend
Type: Hawker Hurricane Mk 1a (100 Oct)
Marking: B For Beer
Serial Number: L2038

Claims
Damaged: 1 x ME109 , 2 x DO-17

Took off as leader of Green Section, with Bunny and Ojas. We were assigned to B Flight with Robo leadeing us.

As we headed down to Manston, Gold section spotted two contacts down to our 1 O'clock, and Bunny and myself dived down to attack. I went for the first 109 (should have gone for the second, as later advised by Robo) and Bunny for the second. I opened up on the 109, and got a few small hits, but he obviously got a shout from his wing man, and he dived away. Climbing away, the second 10 started to attack me, but Bunny got some fantastic hits into him, causing him to leak. He disengaged from the fight.

Rendezvousing with Gold section, we tried to meet up with Green 2, but in the chaos of the fighting, we lost eyes on each other. We agreed to meet above Manston, but soon we were surrounded by enemy 109's and 110's. Massively outnumbered, Gold leader advised us to break away and rejoin. Diving for the deck I tried to contact Green two, but he was bravely defending Manston by himself. Despite offering my assistance, Bunny informed me that he was already damaged and he would fight on to let us escape. What a chap! There is no way Hitler will invade if the RAF is made of these stout fellows!

Met up with Robo above Canterbury, and made a few passes at the formation of bombers that were heading for Eastchurch. Got good hits on two passes, but by the time I was in position to make a third, the 109s had gathered and made in unsafe. That was the end of the action for me, I flew around with Gold leader for 30 minutes, with sporadic action, but no further damage on my part. RTB back to Gravesend with Robo, and was glad to hear Bunny had made it down safely.

Claims
Damaged: 1 x ME109 , 2 x DO-17
Probable: Nil
Destroyed: Nil

Losses
Plane: OK
Pilot: ok

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:36 pm

Squadron: No.501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron code: "SD"
Pilot name: Pilot Officer Sabre
Date: 15th August 1940 15:00
Base: RAF Kenley
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia
Marking: "S for Sugar"
Serial number: P3397

Seems there had been all kinds of carry on at Gravesend and the Boss was more than a little irate. First off Flying Officer Bonkin's dog had been up to some of his old tricks and had been intent on making his "mark" all around the place much to the annoyance of some of the Squadron. A Hurricane's cockpit is a little too small to share with good old fashioned "doggy doo" and the Boss had decided to act - strangely I thought, not with old Nigsy but with FO Bonkin who was informed he and two other pilots were off to Kenley to help out 615 Squadron who have been have a rough time of late. As if the Nigsy saga wasn't enough LAC Schmuck had been up to his tricks again with another of the local "ladies". The CO had caught him on his way back into Gravesend in a rather dishevelled state. The Boss was fuming and so Schmuck was to join FO Bonkin for the trip. It seems I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I had just popped out of the Mess to fill up my pipe and there was an almighty bellowing from the CO. "Sabre, get your arse over here and join these two troublemakers. I need three pilots over at Kenley and I can't be bothered to search the place so you'll have to go."

And so the three of us were off to support No.615 Squadron at Kenley. I was paired with FO Bonkin in Yellow Section and we were soon up and searching for the Hun. It wasn’t long before bombers were spotted. No.615's Sqn Leader Spud called out “Red and Blue we'll attack, Green and Yellow - you provide top cover.”

We scoured the skies for 109's without much luck at first. I followed FO Bonkin, sticking with him like glue until he spotted a 109 and engaged with a quick which seemed to miss. We carried on twisting and turning and then out of nowhere a burst from a 109 hit my wing. I'd lost FO Bonkin in taking evasive action and this 109 was a persistent bugger as the old girl took further hits, this time to the engine. I turned some more diving away and twisting myself around looking to see if he was following but I'd either lost him or he'd given up. All of a sudden my engine gave up and I was too low to find my way back to an airfield. A field full of golden corn was to be my landing spot for today and I managed to slide the old girl down on her belly.

Claims
Destroyed: 0
Damaged: 0

Losses
Pilot: OK
A/C: Damaged
No.111 (Fighter) Squadron - "Adstantes" - Standing by
"Worry only on the things you can influence and accept there are things beyond your control"

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:39 pm

Squadron: No. 615 "County of Surrey" Squadron
Squadron Code: KW
Pilot Name: Hollywood
Date: 08/15/1940
Time: 1500 hrs.
Type: Hawker Hurricane
Marking: F

Claims:
Destroyed: 1x Do-17
Probable:
Damaged: 2x Do-17

Losses
A/C: OK

Azref

Post by Azref » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:37 pm

Squadron: No. 615 "County of Surrey" Squadron
Squadron Code: KW
Pilot Name: Azref
Date: 08/15/1940
Time: 1500 hrs.
Type: Hawker Hurricane
Marking: U

Claims:
Destroyed: 1x Do-17

Losses
A/C: lost
Ask about ACG contraband, I can get what you need.