Adlerangriff. Mission 29: 15th August (Rochester 1500)

RAF flight reports for the epic ACG Historical Campaign - "Peace In Our Time" covering the Fall of France and the Battle of Britain. We are recruiting new pilots so you can join this - post in the Reception to request a seat. This forum is publically viewable.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Skin Team, Treasurers, Administration Staff

Hollywood

Re: Adlerangriff. Mission 29: 15th August (Rochester 1500)

Post by Hollywood » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:16 pm

Squadron: No. 615 "County of Surrey" Squadron
Squadron Code: KW
Pilot Name: Hollywood
Date: 08/15/1940
Time: 1500 hrs.
Base: Kenley
Type: Hawker Hurricane
Marking: F for Flappie

"De beste stuer-luy sijn aen lant." (The best helmsmen stand on shore), Jacob Cats 1634

When the English were still fighting amongst themselves on their little island, the Dutch had already conquered the seven (7) seas. Their newly formed Republic was the first modern state in Europe, 200 years before the French Revolution. Their colonies stretched from New Holland in the West, to the Dutch Indies in the East. They didnt have a King, didnt want a King. In fact after they had gotten rid of the Spanish King, the word King had become a curse word in the Dutch language, not unlike "Rex" had been for the Romans. The small country with big ambitions was surrounded by 'Old Europe', the Spanish empire to the south (Belgium was still under their control), below that the French Monarchy, to the east the Holy Roman Empire, and to the west England, where they had just tried out a Republic under Cromwell, but were convinced that they were not made for it.
All these big and slugish powers looked upon The Dutch Republic with jealous eyes. They couldnt stand the fact that it was so rich and powerfull. So they decided to do something about it.
In the year 1672, "rampjaar" (desaster year), they attacked from 3 fronts. The French to the south, the Germans to the east, and the English from the sea. The goal was to take Amsterdam, and therefor the centre of world trade and finance. The French and Germans were defeated when they tried to cross the frosen Rhine (their armies didnt know how to skate), and the English fleet was destroyed in the battle of Texel, where Michiel de Ruyter (bravo) showed some of his brilliance as a naval genious. (Again, after he had taken the flagship from under their noses at the shores of the river Thames right inside London). The danger was averted, and the Republic was safe for now.
Meanwhile the English were so in awe of the Dutch, that they wanted one of them to be their King. They had their eyes on Stadholder Willem III, grandson of the Father of the Fatherland. Willem III, Prince of Orange, said: "Yes why not?" and he went to England, took the country in a couple of months, and crowned himself King of England.
He was now the most powerful man in the world, living in London and Amsterdam, and he brought some things to England which he thought might help lifting the sorry peasents a bit out of the mud. For instance the worlds first stock exchange, the idea of a multinational company (VOC), to name a few, and made London into the new financial capital of the world. Some years before he had taken New York back from England during one of the 4 wars between The Republic and England, and gave it the name New Orange (instead of the former New Amsterdam), because he was just awesome. Now he called it Fort William, to appeal to the English, his new subjects. In Holland he had to listen to the Staten Generaal, and he continued that practice with the parliament, where the people couldnt believe that there could be such a enlightened (and awesome) monarch.
Unfortunately he didnt produce any male heirs, and after his death the 2 countries were split again and The Republic started its slow decline until the French Revolution and the "Franse Tijd' (French occupation during Napoleon).
After Waterloo where the Dutch Stadhouder Willem V had fought bravely, the country was turned into a Monarchy for the first time, and has been ever since. Louis Napoleon (brother), had been King of Holland for a brief time during the Franse Tijd, and he had taken the City Hall of Amsterdam and turned it into his main palace. It remained a Royal Palace after the forming of United Kingdom of the Netherlands, and the (now Royal) family of Orange has no desire whatsoever to give it back to the people of Amsterdam, the rightful owners, the people of the city that Made the Republic, the city that WAS the Republic.
The current member that holds the Royal staff is called Willem Alexander, and he is "een beetje dom" (a little stupid, Prinses Maxima 2004) to say the least. He also likes to redecorate houses in Greece for Greek prices and let the Dutch taxpayer pay for them. He was too stupid for University so he was just given a degree for free. In Delft where he studied he is known as "Prins Pils" (Prince Beer), but that is a good thing actually now I think about it.
As long as these idiots don't give the City Hall back to the city of Amsterdam, I will continue to be a Republican (Bravo).

Cetero censeo Rotterdamum delendam esse

destroyed 1 bomber

pilot OK
aircraft OK

Vukac
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Vukac » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:16 pm

Squadron: No.64 Squadron
Squadron code: "SH"
Pilot name: Vukac
Date: 08/15/1940
Time: 1500 hrs
Type: Spitfire Ia 100 octane
Marking:C
Serial number:N3231
call: White 3

Claims:
Destroyed: 1x Bf 109
Probable: 0
Damaged: 2xDo-17

AC: Destroyed
Pilot: OK
@Redeye(Vucac took battle damage and had to bail. He telephoned back to Kenley that he was alright.) ;)
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."

Maltloaf
Location: Salisbury Plain, birthplace of British military aviation.

Post by Maltloaf » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:39 pm

Squadron: No. 64 Squadron
Squadron Code: SH
Pilot Name: Maltloaf
Type: Spitfire Ia 100 octane
Marking: I for Ink
Date: 15 Aug 1940

Scrambled straight after A Flt and climbed to angels 20 to clear the skies of fighters above the bomber group south of East Church. That done we vectored to Manston to help out A Flt dropping from angels 20 to angels few faster than a whore's drawers. Manston cleared to hostiles we RTB'd in tight flt formation executing a neat single circuit and rapid sequential landing with A Flt in the circuit above waiting to do the same. Well done chaps. Especially to the rotter who abandoned his Hurricane at the runway intersection requiring us to execute a tidy avoiding wiggle half way down the tarmac.

Claims:
Confirmed: 0
Probable: 0
Damaged: 0

AC: Stunning
Pilot: Top Draw
"I have never once lost my gratitude for those who were the sentinels and held the line between tyranny and civilisation"

Robo

Post by Robo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:32 pm

Hollywood, awesome. Just awesome!

Bully

Post by Bully » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:37 pm

:) Lol Hollywood

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:06 pm

Squadron: 501 "County of Gloucester"
Sqn.Code: SD
Pilot Name: Larry
Date: 15 Aug 1940 15:00
Base: Gravesend
Type: Hurricane 1 100 Oct
Marking: V for Victor
Serial: L1659

As Blue 3 took off from Gravesend Airfield. Teepee as Blue Leader and Meaker as Blue 2 . Tried to follow the hard climbing of the blue section eastwards. Then suddenly I lost the Blue Section and I asked Blue Leader of their Position. He told me to fly to Eastchurch. Searching the Sky of the Enemy and Friends only to know that I`m now a easy Victim for marauding Me`s.
i was happy so see 5 A/C on my 2 o`clock. I knew this must be my Sqn-mates. After arriving my right Place the Enemy was sighted. In a massiv+hard Dive we went down on lots of Dorniers 17 and I dived right trough a Vic of Do`s. This time the "Dornier-Sniper" missed me! But I missed them too. Only a short Burst and I was already throug the Formation.
I Have to climp again to reach the Enemy. So my speed was very low. And then happened was must happen. Smokestreams of Bullets right and left! Hard backbord, Iay my Hurricane on the Back and dive again, but noticed I got hit. I knew the short Battle was already over. Oil on my Windscreen and Pressure down. Looking for a Place to land, but then the engine stoped. Have to bail out. Looking my beloved Hurricane spinning down. I`m afraid have to land with my parachut exactly on the burning Hurricane Wreckage! ..not far away! Phuuh..!

Back at Gravesend, with a little help of two WAAF who carried me home by car, I was ordered in the office of Sqn/Ldr Osprey, I expected a speech about my lone "Journey" over Eastchurch :-/ but it wasn`t that. Sqn./Ldr Osprey, Translator Mauf (because my knowledge of English) and me fought against the paperwork about my entry In the Squadron. For me that was the harder Fight then hours befor against the Luftwaffe! :-).

Afterwards in the Pilots Lounge, with a great "Hallo" of the Squadron, 2-3 Glases of Gin, Menories about Black Adder, ended my second Day in the Glouchester Squadron.
I arrived definitely in the Squadron!

Claims:
Destroyed:0
Probable:0
Damaged:0

A/C: Destroyed
Pilot: ok

Larry

"We were the last bastion of defence.
After us, there was nothing."

Fighter Pilot Ken Wilkinson No 19 Sqn. Summer 1940.

Robo

Post by Robo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:20 pm

Squadron: No. 501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron Code: SD
Pilot Name: F/O Bailey
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia 100 Oct
Marking: U for Uncle
Serial: N3822

Synopsis:
Leading the B flight today, with F/O Bunny and F/O Bully as Green section and myself and Sgt. Fang as Yellow section. Scrambling straight away, as Gold 3 was having some issues with the engine, we could not wait any longer as there was a plot of 'Less than 5' over North Foreland, our Merlins roaring at full power, off we go. Is the Hun trying to lure us in the air so he can strike the Blighty elsewhere? We shall find out soon.

Scanning the sky in front and behind and in front again, I was happy to be this far out with these experienced pilots as I felt things will get really thick soon. F/O Bunny spotted them as we approached northern coast of Kent at Angels 17 - 2 contacts 2 o'clock. There they were, pari of 109s! Green section attack, Yellow will cover you. They both dove on the enemy, Bully attacked the leading aircraft and damaged it, Bunny scored good hits on his wingman. I watched e/a streaming glycol at Angels 15 inland of Broadstairs. I confirm 1 damaged and 1 probable by Green section. After short while, another group of 5+ fighter aircraft turned up just few miles to the east, approximately above Manston. It took us a short while to re-group and unfortunately, we were not quite in a good position for an encounter with enemy fighter higher from us, after short fight, shouting for the Gold 2 to break most of the time, while I was being engaged, I decided to disengage from that area and evaded towards Canterbury and I asked for assistance from 64. I was hoping to get to the German bombers and do your job - which was put as many .303 holes in them as possible in order to stop them coming over to England. In a short fight, Green section got engaged and F/O Bunny reported damage to his water radiator. It was not easy to get this brave chap to turn his back on the enemy and return to base, but we need him to fight the Jerry another day. There are not many pilots in the 501 who can shoot quite as good as him. I bet it's all the pheasant shooting in his posh plus fours before the war. There was no way we could help him, but luckily he got his plane on the ground safely.

After re-grouping over Canterbury, I spotted the enemy bomber formation - about 8 miles south of us, Angels 10. I reported their location to the A Flight, there were snappers above them, big numbers, waiting to dive on anything that gets near the bombers. Climbing at full power, the three of us had to break at least twice as 109s were getting in position behind us. Luckily, the rest of the RAF got to attack the bombers from several directions and we got to attack the front formation at least as there was a window of opportunity to get to them without being taken apart by the enemy fighters. I attacked the leading aircraft, a Do-17, and shot it down right over Canterbury. Attack from 5 o'clock high, I hit the canopy and then the starboard engine which caught fire immediately.

At this time, the large formation of Dorniers was heading North towards Eastchurch. Both Bully and Fang reported good hits and I witnessed the German formation scattered all over Kent as it got hit hard by the Kenley wing. There were smoke trails and pieces of aircraft everywhere, some green, some RAF brown. I recall we had to take evasive action several times during this encounter. I managed just one more attack on the front of the formation, shooting another 'flying pencil' to pieces in a solid 6 o'clock pass - I have not had any chance to watch him go down, the result of my attack was severe oil leak from both engines, and the poor bomber started to drift away to the west from his original course. Suddenly, there were enemy fighters, both 109s and 110s everywhere.Yellow 2 got separated (I honestly don't know how did poor Fang manage to keep in formation with me!) and reported being attacked over Eastchurch. I ordered the B flight to disengage one more time and re-join over Rochester. Fang has been hit in the combat with the enemy and returned to base, too. Re-joined with F/O Bully, we kept looking for the enemy while getting some altitude inland. There were some contacts west of us and some Hun stayed over Eastchurch, to the east. I decided to climb west to see if the dots in the distance were friendly, we have seen a large contact which Bully identified as Sunderland, what he was doing in the middle of a dogfight, I don't know. There were flak bursts all over the place to the west of Rochdale so we flew in to investigate. I spotted a lone 109 flying below us and attacked immediately. Catching the e/a in a high speed dive, I fired a 3 second burst and set him on fire just W of Eastchurch. No parachute seen, unfortunately.

After this encounter, we switched to auxiliary tank and climbed back to North Foreland and flew patrol along the coast to see if there is any Luftwaffe to be dealt with. No enemy activity has been seen all the way to Manston, the battle was over. We turned around and landed back at Gravesend.

Claims:

Destroyed: 1x Do-17, 1x Me 109
Probable: 1x Do-17
Damaged: none

Losses:
Pilot: OK
A/C: OK

Meaker

Post by Meaker » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:35 pm

Pilot Name: ‘Meaks’ Meaker
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia (100Oct)
Marking: G for George
Serial: P2973

COMBAT FLIGHT RECORD

Myself and F/O Teepee had been given some leave,only one day orf,but we both thought we’d have a bally goodtime in town (London)and let orf steam,a sort of Blue section jolly,so to speak of,haw,haw,...so we loaded a few bags and set orf on the next available chuffer.We had a spiffing time as it turned out,see,we got in with these two fillies up in Leicester Square,and well,what champion gals they turned out to be,damn fine show I thought,and all for the war effort,absolutely capital!

Come the evening we all took orf from our digs to see a show,that big boy of swing‘Al Bowly’,just by chance,was giving a show at the Paladium,and he did’nt disappoint either,in fact he was a bally wizard with that voice of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM5DkHy ... w&index=13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S652aa_kXjY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gaT6yH ... w&index=15

Everyone had a swell time,and afterwards we all made our way to the Locano Club for Champers and a dance.

On arrival back to Gravesend,we both unpacked in our Nissan hut,and made our way into the mess,and I commented to Teepee,that after a day orf such as we had,had,things were going to be pretty tame for the foreseeable future.

The next day,the 15th,we all gathered as usual,around our dispersal hut,playing cricket,chess,cribb,and anything else to take our minds off that bloody awful phone from ringing.I sat out in a resplendent whicker chair,soaking up the sun,my flying boots majestically,carelessly and may I say rather slothenly,laid upon the chess table,much to the annoyance of the C/O,as he commented,about my now new bohemian attitude I had taken up,since returning from our London trip,he was obviously not amused.

As it happens some of our usual chaps were missing,F/O Bonkin had gone over the border to swell 615's numbers,but had left his faithful dog Nigsy back here at Gravesend,but F/O Teepee was cussing loudly under his breath,that the bloody dog had allready shat on two of 501's finest aircraft,and in an aggressive mood that came from nowhere I might tell you,I unholstered my service revolver,cocked it and placed it on our chess table.Oh no Meaks,remorsed Teepee,not the mutt,Bonkin loves that hound,oh no,you can't!

Whilst in London,I had brought one of those new fashionable silk 'Tootal' cravats from Harrods,and now was wearing the little beauty around my neck like some proud Ancient Briton Chieftan wearing his wode scarf,before doing battle.I loved the damned thing it was quintessentially very English,it was navy blue in colour,with a snazzy gold diagonal stripe running through it.I lit another Capstan,and carried on reading my rather shabby copy of the Times,with the latest copy of the 'Beano'stuck inside the centre pages,commenting to the chaps that it was all too bally quiet!......then started reading again,..now where was I,oh yes,Lord Snooty had just purchased another Rolls Royce for his collection....when suddenly,all hell broke loose!!!

CLANG,CLANG CLANG,CLANG,CLANG,....Gold and Green sections Scramble!!..........P/O Robo got his chaps up an away into the blue before you could draw breath.We,on the other hand sat motionless on the perimeter of Gravesend airfield,like fat whales beached on the shoreline.

A second alarm rang out!...... CLANG,CLANG CLANG,CLANG,CLANG,this time the C/O had picked up the phone,’Red and Blue sections SCRAMBLE!’......’come on you boys,bloody well get moving,will you!!’.

We all got airborne and within minutes were heading for the North Foreland,we could hear Gold and Green sections over the R/T ,they had obviously found bandits and were going about their duty dispatching the poor blighters.Following the C/O around the sky is always a hoot,I’m sure he changes his speed and direction to test our own flying capabilities,at one point Blue Leader nearly over shot the Guvnor.

As we were directly over Canterbury we could see massive formations of German bombers inbound to England and the C/O led us all into the attack.I stuck on Blue Leaders tail,and we soon engaged the hun from their low 6’o’clock position,I shot one of the Dornier bombers down,and immediately someone called out that there were snappers on our own six,so I wheeled around again to check they were’nt on mine.

They were’nt,and I chased after two lone Dorniers heading for Eastchurch,by now Blue Leader was also in pursuit of the same duo and we R/T each other to discuss which bomber each would go for.

I picked the starboard blighter and made my way to engage him,I was at this time,some 1000ft below the two bombers,but I could see Blue Leader pounding the left bomber,as he did a 109 steamed in on his six,and before I could say,’one on you’re tail Leader!!’....the dirty hun had dispatched Blue Leader’s fine aircraft,and I was still far too short of this quarry to help.

Within seconds the 109 had disappeared,and now I was closing on the starboard Dornier,I came within range,...200 yards for me,and gave him a short 2-3 second burst in his left Bramo engine and down he went,flaming all the way until he exploded into the ground.I then started to poop orf at the other Dornier still heading for Eastchurch,and made his engine smoke,but had to break off my engagement as I had gone ‘Winchester’and now needed to escape the madness of the battle as I was completely useless as regards a fighting machine.

I soon got vectored to Gravesend and made my final approach,but I was the only aircraft on the airfield at this time,and realised not all had gone well for 501 on this day of days.Later that afternoon I heard that our own C/O had got shot down,but had luckily escaped after bailing out of his stricken kite.

I don’t recall much of a party atmosphere going on,on Sunday night,yes we had dealt the hun bombers a bloody nose,but had paid a terribly high price for the satisfaction.

As I sat back,in an old deck chair outside our dispersal hut contemplating the day,Nigsy came wondering up to me,and pissed all over my lovely new Tootal cravat I had taken off and placed beneath my chair..........where's my bloody Webley!,I thought........damn,I've left it holstered,in old SD-G.....luckily for Nigsy!

Claims:
Destroyed: 2 x Dornier Do17’s
Probable: 1 x Dornier Do17
Damaged: none

Losses:
Pilot: Ok,..but gander well up,due to bally dog pissing on me new cravat!
A/C:Ok

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:53 pm

Squadron: No. 615 "County of Surrey" Squadron
Squadron Code: KW
Pilot Name: Donkey ('Donks')
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia 100oct
Marking: P for Prettyannoyedattheyellownosedbastardwhotookmywingoff

Synopsis:

Well just my bloody luck. Really. I admit I was late into the briefing, but for this latest show I was assigned to a two-crate flight (green) with some 501 oik who appeared to still be drunk and who certainly wasn't dressed to Kings Regs. His bloody vest was hanging out, he had lipstick all over his face, and between you, me and the rest of the squadron I swear his tie wasn't a tie at all but actually a pair of tights. And from a pretty big girl too by the look of things. Anyway, he ambled over looking pretty vacant asking what flight I was in. "I believe I'm with you old boy" I replied through gritted teeth. The two of us hop into our crates and form the pair at the back of the formation. Soon enough Spud gives the order to take-off and we're up into the blue.

Well, let me tell you, you should never judge a book by it's (scruffily dressed) cover - LAC Schmuck can certainly handle the old bus, and formating on him is easy. No sudden changes of speed, direction or altitude. This took the pressure off me worrying that we would collide and gave me the chance to scan for traffic. We get up to Angels 14 or so, and we spot some of the deviant bloody hun at 11 low. Red and Blue go straight in and yellow and green stay above providing eyes and cover. Schmuck comes over the radio: "109's high, at least two of them. Watch your six there Donkey, we're going to try and get to a position to flank them as they dive onto Red flight". I drift to his six and follow him in, throttle forward and well up for it - this could be a chance for us to jump some of those yellow-nosed sausage quaffers and give them a damned good horse-whipping - when, bugger me, a '109 comes hammering out of nowhere and bloody well rams me! I can't believe it - my left wing, which was there a second ago, has simply vanished, leaving me well and truly up the proverbial creak without a paddle. I was lucky in some respects, that box-head pilot was close enough for me to reach out and touch (certainly close enough for me to see the photo of his enormous gimp-suited liebling, complete with strap-on and well-oiled fist, that graced his cockpit), so I guess another couple of inches further over and I would have eaten his prop. I quickly key my mic to let Schmuck know: "Son of a bitch! that bastard rammed into me. I need to bail, my crate is done for. I'll see you at Kenley old boy". And then I'm out. If you've ever jumped from a plane you will understand when I tell you that I doubt I will ever be constipated again. I absolutely shat myself. Thankfully the 'chute opened, and good old Schmuck gave me a protective orbit until he could see I was ok. I give him a wave and drift peacefully down whilst the hell of the dogfight recedes.

Anyway, after a ridiculous amount of cider (rude not to) from the happy farmer whose field I had dropped into, but sadly no go on his daughter (the old fox never left us alone) I flagged down a car to the local railway station and headed back to Kenley. I live to fight another day.

Claims:
1 pair of soiled service trousers.

Losses:
A/C: Smeared across Kent.
Pilot: Alive. But never drinking cider again.

Fang

Post by Fang » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:59 pm

Pilot Name: Sgt.Fang
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia 100 Oct
Marking: f for Freddie
Serial: LI953

Synopsis:
Flying as Gold 2 today after some of the boys were sent down to 615 due to staff shortages and Red flight gaining a new chap. With Robo as no.1 I knew if I stayed with him I would be sure to come back in one piece, with Green flight joining us it wasn't long before they spotted some trade below us and they dropped down to despatch them while Robo and myself stayed high to keep cover. Now being vectored south to pick up a large formation of bombers we tangled with a few 109's but managed to break free and continue to track the raid whilst talking Red flight in onto our position. Picking a Do17 I raced in for a pass and managed to get good hits on him which left him venting fuel and me climbing away only to see a 109 chasing a unknown Hurricane. As the 109 pulled clear of his prey I managed to get a few good bursts into him and he dropped low and turned SE, with the action slowing Gold Leader called Rochester for a rendezvous and whilst on the way back I was bounced by a 109. Rounds from the 109 shattered my engine leaving oil all over my screen, it was then my engine decided to give up leaving me dead stick and unable to open my canopy I tried for a soft landing in the river but to no avail.

Claims:

Destroyed: none
Probable: none
Damaged: 1x Do17, 1x 109

Losses:
Pilot: KIA
A/C:Lost