Adlerangriff. Mission 32: 18th August

Luftwaffe flight reports for the epic ACG Historical Campaign - "Peace In Our Time" covering the Fall of France and the Battle of Britain. We are recruiting new pilots so you can join this - post in the Reception to request a seat. This forum is publically viewable.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Wolf_1

Re: Adlerangriff. Mission 32: 18th August

Post by Wolf_1 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:47 am

Mission Date: 18.08.1940

Name: Wolf
Unit: 6./ZG76
Aircraft: Bf110
Markings: M8 KP
Aerodrome: Calais

We formed up on to the runway. Then suffered massive technical issues, mainly lags most of us could not even get airborne so we had to wait for the bombers to cross over our heads so we could get airborne without all the ridiculous lag. Anyhow about half an hour later we finally got airborne and formed up over Oye Plage. we then made our way across the channel slowly climbing and taking it nice and easy knowing that we would never catch the bombers even if we were 109s. about 30 mins later we were over the thames estuary roughly level with eastchurch.while trying to teach biggles how to use the god damn f****** fuel pumps to pump fuel from the rear to the front all of a sudden Katt shouted f****** spitfire spitfire 6 o'clock my gunner is firing.

Katt took a nasty blow and lost elevator control and one engine sadly he had to splashdown lucky enough though there was once again the same u boat that picked me up last time.

the same spitfire decided to chase archie i knew that the spitfire would never stay with the 110 in a slight dive so i told he to keep calm and level don't move and i got behind the spitfire and was slowly reeling him in to inevitable death but the spitfire was about 1 to 2 k behind i then told archie to climb a little too slow the spitfire down suddenly he seemed to have blown the radiator trying to chase a 110 he then swung right round and obviously trying to reach the coast. We were right out in the middle of the estuary i immediately dived down and made him have to maneuver hard so he simply could not reach the coast me and archie were both having gun runs on him i got a few hits with the mg guns as did archie. Archie manage to get one good round in him at this point he was 10 metres off the sea and by the looks of it he is engine died he was also too low to bail and he had to splashdown in the sea.

i then give the confirmed kill to archie since he was the one being chased and also he's the one that got the most shots in.

we then decided to see how far we could actually go with the fuel so we went for a sight seeing tour across south london looped all the way around 2 wilmington and went back and touchdown at coquelle about 30 40 minutes after mission end we were the last ones to touch down in the server.

Claims:N/A
Witnessed: Archies Spitfire
Pilot: OK
A/C: Not a scratch

Boyezee

Post by Boyezee » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:55 pm

Name: Boyezee
Unit: 5./JG26
Aircraft: Bf109 E4
Markings: Black 14
Aerodrome: Hydrequent

Today we had the honour of Gruppenkommandeur Pitti flying with us, after take off we assembled at Calais and formed with the bombers.

As we approached England ahead of the bombers we spotted several contacts, in the first engagement Pitti downed a Hurricane, we again re-formed and continued our high level hunt. Shortly after more contacts were spotted, in the engagements that followed small battles broke out, I chased a spitfire from Pitti's six however Pitti had been wounded and called out that he was RTB.

As I patrolled behind the bombers I scored fatal hits on a hurricane, my cannon rounds striking the length of his aircraft from nose to tail, the poor pilot had no chance (PK but no witness to confirm it for me).

Alone now and having lost my wingman I continued to patrol behind the bombers, I managed to six a hurricane and poured cannon into him from behind, his coolant and oil began leaking with parts of his airframe falling away, his tail shredded, as I flew past him he began a shallow dive to earth, again no witness to confirm this for me.

After more minor scuffles the 5th, 6th & 7th formed up as the bombers cleared the south coast, I peeled the 5th away from the other Staffels once the bombers had began to party and headed to Hydrequent, however before long Atreides had received a distress call that Hurricane's had pursued Casca towards french point. We headed to the area but were unable to find them, Casca touched down at Wissant, knowing we were clear to landed back at base.

Zalzam

Post by Zalzam » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:12 pm

Mission Date: 18.08.1940

Name: Zalzam
Unit: 6./ZG76
Aircraft: Bf110
Markings: M8 FP
Aerodrome: Calais
110: OK
Pilot: OK

Massive lag at startup, no fun :x :evil:

Krass

Post by Krass » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:09 pm

Mission Date: 18th August 1940

Name: Krass
Aircraft: BF-109 E4
Markings: Black 6
Aerodrome: Hydrequent

Victory Claims:
TimePlaceAircraftOpponentConfirmed
13:15CanterburyHurricaneNo.501nein
I confirm Major Pitti's Hurricane kill at 13:03 over Canterbury.

5 Staffel: Jagdgeschwader 26, Marquis East, 18th August 1940:

There is an air of anticipation around the airfield as the approaching Messerschmitt touches down perfectly in a mist of fine dust. Pulling up to the assembled pilots and ground crew of 5 Staffel, the Daimler Benz gives a final throaty roar as the canopy lifts open to reveal the Gruppenkommandeur. The suprise visit is unusual just before an important mission, our biggest raid yet. The Major gathers us round and lights his white clay pipe, scanning our faces through the smoke.

"Kameraden. Your briefing this morning with the Staffelkapitän will have left you in no doubt as to the importance of todays mission. This is the day we show the tommies who is in charge of the skies over England. Oberleutnant Boyezee has assured me that 5 Staffel have the calibre of pilots to make this happen. As a sign of my confidence in his appraisal, I shall be joining you today as a guest in your ranks. I will of course require a volunteer Katschmarek.."
We nervously look at each other, the Major is not known as a passive pilot. His plane is adorned with multiple victory marks from many enemy engagements. Someone will have a difficu..
"Krass!" Oberleutnant Boyezee almost deafens me as he slaps me on the shoulder.
"Excellent! we have our volunteer for the Major. 5 Staffel! Prepare for glory!"

Hydrequent Airfiled, 18th August 1940:

With the honour of Katchmarek to the Major, I take my position behind him as we prepare to leave our base at Hydrequent. Checks done, we thunder down the grass strip with our engines on full power, the bumby short ride is soon replaced by a smooth ascent into the clear summer sky. Within minutes, we are in formation and mentally preparing for the difficult task ahead. Our Staffel is to sweep in front of our brave bombers, ready to take on the tommies before they pick an easy target.

High over the English coast, our 109's contrailing in the thin air, we spot our first enemy contacts. I follow the Major through a sweeping right turn as we try to get advantage over the Spitfires on our 2 o'clock. Now at over 7 km, our engines fight for power, our sleek 109's circling like wolves ready to pounce. Major Pitti spots a Hurricane slightly below us in a left hand bank, and we begin the chase. I watch as his cannon rounds hit the tommie plane in three seperate bursts, the third slicing off part of the wooden pest's wing. Down he goes, a good kill for the Major! We continue our Jäger sweep when my radio bursts into life "Krass! break, break!" The Major has spotted a Spitfire on my six and I instinctivley split S and dive. The sky seems to be filled with twisting turning fighters from both sides. A moments lapse in concentration could be your last up here.

As I pull up from my dive, I have now lost the tommie Spit. Climbing to rejoin my Staffel, I hear Oberleutnant Boyezee with yet another victory for our mighty Luftwaffe. We only have a couple of casualties to some lucky tommie shooting, but the advantage is with us. As I climb further I spot an enemy fighter approaching me head on from above. I seem to enter a twilight zone, where the tommie is rapidly filling my Revi gunsight and looking strangely like a diving Osprey with wings spread for attack. In a split second, my thumb presses down and my whole plane shakes under the recoil of the 20mm cannons. I watch in almost slow motion as the Hurricane breaks apart and his whole wing is shot off. As I climb further past the stricken spinning plane, I see a parachute unfold and notice I havent took a breath for a long time.

Back at altitude, I begin the hunt for my Staffel Kameraden. They have become a little seperated, but Hauptgefieter Lee is still with the bombers. He will be in the Gruppenkommandeur's good books for his excellent dedication to duty. Oberletnant Boyezee has also claimed a second RAF scalp. Horrido! Later, as we cross the English coast, the familiar voice of Leutnant Atreides from 7 Staffel greets us. After a little inter-staffel mingling, we learn that Oberleutnant Casca is in trouble and heading for French Point, low, with a tommie in pursuit. Being the closest, I dive steeply and build up speed. Soon he arrives, and I watch the Oberluetnant fly past me heading for an emergency landing. 7 Staffel then puts a Spit in the Channel for daring to mess with the mighty Luftwaffe in our airspace.

I form up with the Staffelkapitän, Bubi and Lee as we prepare for our landing back at Hydrequent. We are all very low on fuel and feeling the effects of another gruelling mission. As we touch down, I allow myself some time to reflect on a long campaign against the stubborn tommies. This Staffel has come a long way in a short time, we have lost some good people and gained some good freinds. We have a lot to be proud of. But for most of us, just staying alive has been the greatest achivement of all.
“The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.”

Dub

Post by Dub » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:40 pm

Mission Date: 18-08-1940 1237-1331

Name: Dub
Aircraft: Bf 109 E-4
Markings: Black 16
Aerodrome: Marquise East
Status: shotdown around Eastchurch area and managed to bail out.
Victory Claims:none
intel 3570k @4.7Ghz + Zalman cnps10x noctua fan in pull config/ 16GB DDR3 Corsair vengeance @ 1600Mhz / MSI Geforce 770 4GB /MSI Z77A G45 Motherboard / Corsair RM 800 watt PSU / 1TB HDD Western Digital Black edition / 1TB Seagate SSHD/ 1TB HDD Samsung Spinpoint F1/ 120GB SSD OCZ Agility / Logitech Attack 3 Joystick / Saitek Throttle Quadrant / CH pro rudder pedals / 27" Qnix QX2710 2560x1440 Monitor/ LG m227wdp 22" /

Huff Duff

Post by Huff Duff » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:58 pm

ission Date: 18-08-1940 1237-1331

Name: Huff Duff
Unit: 6./JG26
Aircraft: Bf 109 E-4
Markings: Brown 5
Victory Claims:
1304near ManstonHurricaneunknown(still unsure(Neun?)
Attacked some Hurricanes over Manston area. I downed one Hurricane by combined action, closing in rapidly. First I hit with my cannons and MG... But when the Pilot got aware of the hits he began to slip right Hand. Unfortuneatly he sliped into my starbord slat while I was passing him. He most propably was one head shorter after that. I had to fly on with a mising right slat.
Landed back at Marquise at 1406h.

Keroth

Post by Keroth » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:16 pm

Mission Date: 18-08-1940

Name: Ker0th
Unit: 7./JG26
Aircraft: Bf 109 E-1
Markings: White 6
Aerodrome: Caffiers
Victory Claims:
-----
As i get up and head for the briefing room expecting Atraidies to be doing the quick briefing before the mission. As i stepped into the tent i see our new leader Casca, he is pointing at a map and telling us what we need to know. Scheiße i had come to late expecting Atraidies to make a quick briefing, but Casca did thing differently, we got all the informations on the flight, i quickly sat down and grapped a pen and paper to atleast get some of these informations down.

After the briefing we headed for the aircraft and started up the engines at the same time and rolled out. While we were in the air i tried to keep close to Casca to get the feel of how he flew so i could easely follow him in a fight, i found this difficult as he was climbing at such a high angel i was about ot stall several times, but as we levelled out if was nice and easy.

When we got over England we saw a few aircraft we could not identify flying around us we stuck with following the bombers but i did not feel safe. As i was following Casca he started to bank right... he did not tell me this as he had told me everything else he did, i asked him what he was doing. no answer. He was not basically flying sideway, i lookied around could not see anything and when he whent upside down, i realized he had lost control in some way.

I pulled off him hoping he would either gain control or jump out of the damned plane. I was now again confused where i were as i had followed Casca for to long and the rest of 7. had not... Suddenly i hear Stary needing help and i look around and spot him. Take the throttle up and help him get the Hurri off him. Start fireing but once again we are in the E-1 with no cannons so even though i get some good hits into his wing, nothing but the fact that the hurri pulls off hapen. But this was the aim to save Stary. The hurri was nowhere to be seen and neither was Stary so i head for where i think the bombers are. evry few minute i look around and ofcause i spot something above to my 4. there is no way i can get to him so i just continue having a eye on him. After a good 5-8 minutes i suddenly hear bullets hitting me! It was a new target i did not see because i was focused on the other one Scheiße. I do some manuvers and try to head for the coast knowing its not looking good. He gets a bunch of good hits in and as i look back im leaking heavily. As i see the hurri lining up for another shot i bank right as hard as i can, and i can hear the bullets fireing when he pass me, but no hits.

I just fly towards France trying to save my engine, while i look for the hurri to finish me off. But he doesn't i can see him just following me 500m above and behind, he going to let me go... Salute i though all RAF was bloodthirsty and would slaughter anyone in the air but not this one.

When i was 2 minutes from the coast my engine stopped... i was at 5k though so i might actually make it. I glided allmost all the way over the coast, i decided to not jumping out because i have herd horror stories of the parachute not opening so i just glided it all the way down and pulled the nose up just before impact with the water to avoid it flipping over. not a succes i pulled the nose to harde and it hit the tail first making the nose dig in. But i had allready thrown my cannopy off when i was fighting the hurri saving Stary because i though i saw flames in my aircraft... but it must have been nothing, so i quickly got out and swam the way back. Where i was picked up and sent to the airfield hoping to see Casca again.

StaryMruk

Post by StaryMruk » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:04 pm

Name: StaryMruk
Aircraft: Bf 109E-4
Markings: White 16
Aerodrome: Crepon

Spent most of time behind bombers engaging Spitfires and Hurricanes attacking them. Damadged some of them but no confirmed kills. Later formed up on Atreides and Martinjas with whom we fought against single Spitfire mid channel. I confirmed Atreides shoot it down. Pilot bailed out.

Zero

Post by Zero » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:08 pm

Name: Zero
Aircraft: Bf 109E-4
Markings: White 9
Aerodrome: Crepon

Malarky

Post by Malarky » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:08 pm

Name: Malarky
Unit: 4./JG26
Aircraft:BF-109 E-3
Markings: White 7
Status: RTB, pilot alive. Botched landing, plane badly damaged.