Submarine simulator

We don't just fly

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Raskolnikov

Submarine simulator

Post by Raskolnikov » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:03 am

Hi!

I am looking to scratch my itch for submarine simulations. I still remember pearls like Aces of the Deep. Yeah, I am old :lux: However, for the last couple dozen years I mostly put focus into RPGs and action-adventure games but the nostalgia has spoken and I am looking for a submarine, preferably during II World War. I look at Steam and came up with:

U-Boat - is it solely submarine or is there too much micromanaging? I want to sail and sink.
Silent Hunter III - good ol' SH, perfect but won't it be too difficult?
Wolfpack - multiplayer unfortunately
Barotrauma - doesn't seem like what I am looking for

Could you recommend something for a veteran yet newbie, please?

Dange

Re: Submarine simulator

Post by Dange » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:04 pm

Silent hunter lll would be my choice .. ( I have it )

Reaver
Unterfeldwebel
Unterfeldwebel

Post by Reaver » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:20 pm

Cold Waters, with overhaul mods "Epic mod" and "DOT Mod" mods add many fixes to vanilla, add better campaigns, more subs and ships to play,and a higher fidelity sound modeling: active versus passive vs. noise on ships/subs/torpedoes.

Sub Sim web site good place to go for reference to that and many other sub sims. to get latest mod versions get them from github linked from their websites.

Helen1971

Post by Helen1971 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:38 am

How about Subnautica? It's not necessarily a submarine simulator entirely, but you do spend a lot of time underwater and taking care of it. It's also not war related. instead you simply need to survive after crash-landing on an oceanic alien planet. It may be scary for some, but it could be something interesting for you. I surely enjoy it once in a while :)

Grumpy
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Adjutant

Post by Grumpy » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:47 am

Not WWII, and a bit long in the tooth these days, but "Dangerous Waters" has always struck me as an enthralling sub simulator (plus helo, P-3 Orion, FFG sim into the bargain).
Adjutant, No. 111 (Fighter) Squadron. Adstantes

Nor law nor duty bade me fight,
Nor public men, nor cheering crowds.
A lonely impulse of delight
Led to this tumult in the clouds

Jammy

Post by Jammy » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:57 pm

Silent Hunter 3 and 4 are my choices for simulated submarine warfare (I prefer 4 for my love of the pacific theatre) and don't worry about difficulty, both games can be customized in the menu so I have never fired a torpedo without forcing my NCO's to do the math for me lol.
I do like to shoot down planes yes I do