ACG DiRT Rally Club

We don't just fly

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Avionic
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Re: ACG DiRT Rally Club

Post by Avionic » Mon May 03, 2021 7:05 am

Had to do my run earlier in the week and when I was done, I was super frustrated by the number of mistakes I had made.
Had practiced and was able to get clean runs most of time but when putting the time in, it all started going wrong from stage 2.
I let the rear drift wide in a long slow turn and caught one of the well-hidden stones with my rear wheel and got a puncture. Wasn’t entirely sure on what buttons to press to fix it and decided to just keep going despite 5.5/8 sectors still remaining.

On stage 3 I was keen to make up time, but less than 2/8 in I again messed up – at least this time I had looked up the buttons to press and just took the 1 min penalty straight away instead of suffering through another stage on 3 wheels.

At that point I had kind of lost focus, so I then finished it all off with yet another puncture and 1 min penalty on stage 5 when I crashed before even completing first sector!

So a win after these 3 punctures is quite a surprise, guess we all had a bit of a demolition derby here!

Video with my glorious crashes with some, at times good driving sprinkled in between:

ArcEye
Leutnant
Leutnant
contributor

Post by ArcEye » Mon May 03, 2021 8:36 am

Good attempt everyone guess this stage was a more of a car killer than it initially felt.

Congratulations on the win Avionic :)

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Mon May 03, 2021 8:48 am

Congratulations Avionic!

The USA rally is vicious imho. A lot of hidden rocks, plenty of hairpins and other terrain that will kill you. Not that the others rally's wont', but at least in Argentina you know you'll be toast with every mistake.

I didn't drive all week and only got a 2 or 3 practice stages in before doing the event. I checked the conditions and noticed that the second stage had wet surface without the chance to change tires before. So I was hoping to drive with a different set of tires from stage 1. Although this was not possible. That made me extra cautious in the second stage which cost me a lot of time. In general I was only pushing it about 80-90% through most of the stages.

I think in stage two or three I raced down a long straight into a crest, followed by a 4 right. I steered into the corner before the crest, took off jumped slightly sideways. Then I realized that I won't land and gain control before the corner. There were a couple of boulders on the outside of the corner. I slid sideways into the first one. that one catapulted me rolling into the second one. I landed on the second boulder with the roof, then made a hop again and another 180 roll just to land on my wheels again. That was almost comical. Only sustained minor body damage though.

During the night stage my flood lights flickered several times and I was afraid they'll give up. Have to have a word with the mechanics.

Sadly turn up wasn't that good this time. :(
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Mon May 03, 2021 10:15 am

BTW: My hairpins were horrible. How do you approach them? I haven't figured them out yet.
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Konaber

Post by Konaber » Mon May 03, 2021 11:20 am

I had only one satisfying hairpin, and this was then the nose was pointing into the right direction a quick use of the handbrake to swing the rear directly into the exit position.

Avionic
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Post by Avionic » Mon May 03, 2021 11:38 am

Thaine wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:15 am
BTW: My hairpins were horrible. How do you approach them? I haven't figured them out yet.
Without actually seeing your driving it is a bit tough to give advice, but classic problems include:
  • Braking too late - Slightly too early and you can modulate and will lose 0.1 second. Slightly too late and you will wreck your corner by going too deep and easily lose 1+ second with much lower apex speed and poor exit.
  • Not initiating rotation before using the handbrake - If you handbrake in a straight line and you are likely to just continue straight with diminished braking for a while, leading back to first point. Hand brake is for increasing yaw rate not initiating it from 0.
  • Using too much handbrake - getting the car completely turned with just the handbrake, many end up losing way too much speed and exit will again suffer heavily
  • Being too late in getting back on the throttle - i am normally on the throttle again before releasing handbrake. Gives another layer of control and prevents bogging down.
When the roads allow, I also like to do a bit of a Scandinavian flick to further help in swinging the rear around.

My hairpins aren't perfect but perhaps my video can give you some idea of how to improve. The overlay should help in understanding how i attack them. I go through 2 back to back hairpins at 2:37.

Konaber

Post by Konaber » Tue May 04, 2021 9:48 am

For everyone not having the game yet:

-75% in Humble Bundle
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/dirt-rally-2

Avionic
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Post by Avionic » Wed May 12, 2021 12:04 pm

Interesting that everyone ended up running the Lancer in Group A but i guess that it being a iconic car, having probably the most "controllable" handling, and being first on the list helped increase the odds. I think the Delta felt faster on a test run but i would constantly crash and quickly ended went for the Lancer.

Any thoughts on what class/location we should go for next?
I guess Argentina and New Zealand are the two only non-DLC locations that haven't been visited yet.
Still 2 FWD, 2 RWD, and 3 AWD non-DLC classes that haven't been tried yet so plenty of options there. Perhaps H3 to keep a RWD-FWD-AWD rotation going?

Spitfire
Unterfeldwebel
Unterfeldwebel
contributor

Post by Spitfire » Wed May 12, 2021 1:25 pm

Argentina is a death rally XD, but I could be interesting with the RWD cars.
The idea for the rotation is nice. Hopefully no unforseen events will cause my DNS this time.

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Wed May 12, 2021 2:36 pm

I thought about Argentina next. Although my thought was to maybe use GRP A once more. I like them.