We don't just fly

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Firefly
Sergeant Pilot
Sergeant Pilot

PC Upgrade: Favours/Recommendations

Post by Firefly » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:29 am

Hi all.

Weird request but I hope you love me enough to persevere.

My PC, when I built it, was never designed to play games. I bought it for my university studies and the only ‘requirement’ of sorts was for it to run, Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop and Premier Pro all rendering all at once and STILL be able to function enough for me to do something in the background

Now, for that purpose it’s incredible and it was pure coincidence that it could run games, being powerful enough in itself to do so; albeit obviously needing an upgrade eventually.

The PC is now 4 years old and while it is going strong in terms of being a PC, I find that on certain programs of which is was built for (i.e. Premier Pro) and some games that I play regularly (i.e. Microsoft Flight Simulator), it appears to be bottlenecking or at least peaking in terms of temperature and available performance.

Aside from a good clean which, admittedly I am behind on, I think the need to upgrade is upon me. And, well I don’t know where to start looking.

I may not know who 90% of you are having kept my head low and stuck within my own squadron since my last escapade, but I’ll say we are all friends here and therefore I wish to ask:

Has anyone got any spare motherboards, GPUs or CPUs that they don’t use that may be an upgrade for my current system? (basically asking before I condemn myself to the misery of Curry’s)

More than willing to buy them off you, not expecting any freebies, but I’m asking just incase some of you are hoarding spare parts for your Nephew’s Christmas present this year (lol)

If any of you can give me any recommendations to chase since I don’t know where to start, I’d appreciate it.

My current specs are:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-core @ 3.36GHz

GPU - AMD Radeon RX580 @ 8GM VRAM

RAM - 16GB

Since I now shoot in 4K for my filmmaking, the need to have something capable of a 4K monitor (of which I don’t currently have) would be swell.

Cheers in advance,
I’ll go back in my corner now :)

Jaydog
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan

Re: PC Upgrade: Favours/Recommendations

Post by Jaydog » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:42 pm

I would increase to a 3070 or better for a gpu or whatever AMD equivalent is and increase your RAM to 32GB or better. Depending on your motherboard and gpu, you may also want to run games on an SSD for faster loading and see what power requirements you need for the GPU to get. Maybe get 850w PSU so you can upgrade GPU later in a few years to handle 3090 or 4090

i9-9900k, 3.6 GHz, GeForce RTX 3090 FE, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD, 480 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive, Windows 10, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Warthog Flight Stick, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals; MFG Crosswinds, VR: Oculus Rift S/ Reverb G2 / Pimax Crystal