ACG DiRT Rally league

We don't just fly

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Broadsword

Re: ACG DiRT Rally league

Post by Broadsword » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:55 pm

Ouch.

Can confirm that using auto gears will slow you down because he goes a bit spasticated if you're near the changover point in a corner. Doing it yourself is better, but does add to the workload. You soon get used to it though :D
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Pariah

Post by Pariah » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:44 pm

Yeah, automatic gears will always be slower.

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:01 am

Was quite impressive actually - went sailing off a cliff, and rolled all the way down the other side like a baddie from a car chase in a Bond movie. :D

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:43 pm

Got my Greece stages in yesterday and it wasn't all that bad. The first stage was rather poor with quite some errors. But it seems I slowly get a feeling how to set up the car to behave better. Thanks to some reading and trial and error both with Dirt Rally and rFactor.
So I was able to get my car better set up for oversteering during the following stages. I was as well focusing on getting through the track without major errors by sacrificing some speed. I hear the advice somewhere not to drive at full risk, but rather somewhat slower than one thinks is ok to be on the save side.
It's mainly exercise I guess. My interpretation of the co-driver gets better from time to time as well. As long as I stay focused I know almost exactly how the track will look like by now. Corners 3-6's are ok and nice to drift through with the use of some left foot braking. 2's are most often ok as well with the same technique. 1's and everything below are still a problem. With the manual clutch and H-shifter I'm still to slow and clumsy to use the handbrake efficiently. Normally I go rather slow through the turns or understeer almost to a halt, which takes a lot of time. And I'm quite far from using the Scandinavian Flick successfully, but I'm working on it.
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:37 pm

Well, I got my first two stages posted. First one went fine, second one I hit a rock about a third of the way in and took out my right front tire, had to complete the rest of the sprint on a flat.

It's a pity that the cameras aren't set up better, because most of the replay is just a cloud of dust. On a dusty track all the cameras should be set up to show your arrival, not your departure. Still, I'll review it and see if it's worth posting a vid...

Will have to see what this means for the state of my car for sections 3 + 4 :(
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:47 am

Damn it, with a blown tire you're still faster then me.
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:43 am

I'll try to post a vid this afternoon - you can clearly see that it's a totally unforced error, tried to flatten out a series of no.6 bends too much, ended up cutting the right-hander and smacking straight into the very visible rock :D No excuses, entirely my own fault. Just need some Greek music to put on the video - I'm thinking Demis Roussos :lol:

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:09 am

We should make a combined video for the next event. So we have a direct comparison between our styles.

Dave

Post by Dave » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:16 pm

Meanwhile I'm just sat here waiting for a new car. :D

Frederf

Post by Frederf » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:53 pm

Did anyone notice the entire event was a single stage run backward and forward?!