Permanent ARMA 3 Server

Premier FPS for wannabe war-zone enthusiasts

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Geordie

Permanent ARMA 3 Server

Post by Geordie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:05 pm

I've been itching to play ARMA for a while but sadly haven't had the time to join other groups on the days they run it.

I have an old PC at home that isn't being used and I am looking into setting this up as a ARMA 3 server for ACG use. I was thinking we could run a pre-made persistent world campaign such as antistasi so no mission making will be required and would allow for drop-in/drop-out play. I'm going to be running some tests on the old desktop over the weekend and would appreciate if anyone would help me with testing if they're free.

The only caution I have is that if I set this up and the server is never used and all that happens is my electricity bill goes up and the server remains empty.

This question I ask is which of you would be interested in such a server? If there isn't any interest I have other things I could be using this computer for, such as a media server.
I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game — Sir Harry Broadhurst

Paddy

Re: Permanent ARMA 3 Server

Post by Paddy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:15 pm

I would be interested but what with kid I’m struggling to do BoS and DCS as it is. I can only randomly join in at best. I suspect a couple of other 64 members like Eric might be interested too.
Cheers,

Paddy
Group Captain John 'Paddy' Hemingway, we salute you

Geordie

Post by Geordie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:18 pm

I'm not looking at setting up regular events as such because in all honesty, I don't have the the time to arrange that kind of stuff. The whole idea of the persistent world missions is that missions are dynamically generated so people can jump on and off whenever they want.

In theory if we wanted an "event like" structure. All it would take would be for people to jump on the server and talk to the NPC to get a mission generated.
I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game — Sir Harry Broadhurst

Vonhye

Post by Vonhye » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:56 pm

I'd be interested to jump in once or twice a week, if there will be somebody else to play with. Arma 3 unit that I am part of also has several nice seeding missions, I could take a look if they can be modified and used by us aswell (with permission from the author of course ;) )

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:14 pm

Tempted to take it as a reason to try Arma a little more extensiv than I have. But mind you I barely know anything and frankly no idea how much I'd use it
Turn like the devil, shoot straight from the sun
Climb like a monkey out of hell where I belong

BlackDog

Post by BlackDog » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:02 pm

Geordie hi, I would be happy to 'Zeus' an event once a month... but yes I am getting back into ARMA a bit more so this sounds good.

:salute:
BD
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go always a little further; it may be beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow across that angry or that glimmering sea

Geordie

Post by Geordie » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:18 pm

BlackDog wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:02 pm
Geordie hi, I would be happy to 'Zeus' an event once a month... but yes I am getting back into ARMA a bit more so this sounds good.

BD
I was thinking about how we could use Zues the other day to mix some missions up. I'll need to have a look into server permissions to find out how someone can be Zeus/Admin on a server.

Spigot

Post by Spigot » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:29 pm

I'm interested, but as with others learning DCS, practicing BoX, PS now out etc it may be rare I'd have time. Once a month event could be cool though and anything persistent would be excellent to drop into on occasion.

BlackDog

Post by BlackDog » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:02 pm

Geordie wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:18 pm
I was thinking about how we could use Zues the other day to mix some missions up. I'll need to have a look into server permissions to find out how someone can be Zeus/Admin on a server.
The Zeus is voted for in game and but you could obviously give admin rights as well to a select few to ensure that any idiots on the server can be kicked. But I think a closed group ACG night would be a giggle...

I have a number of mission idea's/scenarios that I could deploy quite easily... my Zeusing skills are a bit rusty but I can practice those quick enough...

BD
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go always a little further; it may be beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow across that angry or that glimmering sea

Goat

Post by Goat » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:34 pm

I'd be down for this. I have a few extra PCs that can run an Arma server and I have the bandwidth as well. I'm also willing to share my cache of RHS ALiVE missions from back in the day.