New SH5 Forum

If underwater mayhem is your game then come here

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Bubi

Re: New SH5 Forum

Post by Bubi » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:44 am

Apparently the DVD version is better for modding than the Steam version to to some extra files Steam puts in there (DRM). I read mixed results with mods and steam version and have yet to try it myself. I don't know what Amazon is offering, but if it's the DVD version, it's a safer bet.

I think this is what Blackie was hinting at, with his going into details.

Being that we heavily mod Clod Steam version, some how I think this "don't use steam for modding" claim is over played and maybe the blame for what might be modding order issues causing CTDs or modding issues. The fact that most mods do work with the steam version and that some have no issues seems to be more evidence of modding order affecting stability. Time will tell. But if you haven't purchased yet, take the easier road of the DVD version.
"Train as you fight, fight as you train"

Dots

Post by Dots » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:57 am

No its legit-I rmemeber the poor guys who got the steam version of IL2 46 and the special mod files they have to add just to get mods to work at all right from the get go.
So in summation F@CK steam with rusty rebar.

Ill grab the DVD.

Bubi

Post by Bubi » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:01 am

Really?

I never got very far into modding 46 other than dailadus patches and 6dof cockpits. But I had CDs for 46.
I'm on the Steam version of Cod. No mod patching issues here

Black

Post by Black » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:30 am

I can confirm that modding games is usually easier if you have the non steam version. Don't forget that CloD does not work without steam however so we cannot really judge if modding the game would be easier without it.

Talking about SH5, it was on a CD of a games magazine 2 years ago and cost me only like 6€ but I have no clue what my cd key was and the online page of the games magazine which gave you the keys is offline by now. Looking at the prices for the game I don't think I will consider trying it again. 30€ on steam, 20€ in shops. FFS I got it for 6€ 2 years ago :roll:

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:45 pm

http://www.g2play.net/category/2703/sil ... uplay-key/

... for anyone that's interested. You'll need to install u-play, but once it's up and running you can play in offline mode (for SP) and the old horrendous copy protection that destroyed computers is no longer there.
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Dave

Post by Dave » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:52 pm

I've been happily modding the steam version of Il2 46 for years now without issue, so I don't know what's going on there. But yeah as a general rule of thumb with older games it's probably better to use the non-steam version for modding if at all possible.

Bubi

Post by Bubi » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:36 pm

Broadsword wrote:http://www.g2play.net/category/2703/sil ... uplay-key/

... for anyone that's interested. You'll need to install u-play, but once it's up and running you can play in offline mode (for SP) and the old horrendous copy protection that destroyed computers is no longer there.
This is what, a UPlay key? They supply the digital download?
Is this for SP only, meaning you need the Steam version for MP?
What if you set up a VPN wit it, don't need Steam for the LAN MP mode I would think.

Still, until I fully mod my Steam version and try it online with THAINE - then I'll have first hand experience of what can or cannot be done. It's too early to set things in stone ship-mates.

Black

Post by Black » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:22 am

I finally got SH5 running again (took some "criminal" effort to do so but with this UPlay garbage I don't care at all :twisted: ) and it's "nice" to see that the same problems I had years ago are still there. For example the submarine skin is often reset to default when I load a game, maybe a small detail but in my opinion a very annoying one :roll:

Any easy fix for this? Like changing a 0 to a 1 in the config maybe? :D

Black

Post by Black » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:56 pm

Bloody hell, registered at subsim to get some mods which make the game more enjoyable, never got an activation email, can't post anything, can't download anything, I can't even change my account settings to try to get a new activation mail sent. It almost feels like Silent Hunter is trying very hard to piss me off :|

The main thing I am looking for is a mod to add a heading bar to the UI because constantly setting new waypoints on the map just to change the course is annoying. (I don't want to use my arrow keys for that). I know which mod to get, it's the SH5 Enhanced UI mod but as I said above I can't download it, does anyone have the files or know how to get them without subsim?

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:06 pm

Black wrote:Bloody hell, registered at subsim to get some mods which make the game more enjoyable, never got an activation email, can't post anything, can't download anything, I can't even change my account settings to try to get a new activation mail sent. It almost feels like Silent Hunter is trying very hard to piss me off :|

The main thing I am looking for is a mod to add a heading bar to the UI because constantly setting new waypoints on the map just to change the course is annoying. (I don't want to use my arrow keys for that). I know which mod to get, it's the SH5 Enhanced UI mod but as I said above I can't download it, does anyone have the files or know how to get them without subsim?
I have them Black. If you haven't solved the problem until I come home from work you get a download link from me.
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel