MODs

If underwater mayhem is your game then come here

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Thaine

Re: MODs

Post by Thaine » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:54 pm

Bubi wrote: Patching wise, I got all the ones you listed but couldnt find these if they are separate patches:
-MQK Gradent_IO
-MQK LocationMaps_IO
-MQK ShapeTextures_NO

So the order of installation matters if youre using JSGME?
If there is an order dependance, please give me a list by number, and if I add one at a time in the JSGME GUI.
They are in the Open Horizon II Folder.
The order matters, use my list (or the image of my JSGME and install top to bottom).
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Bubi

Post by Bubi » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:16 am

Just fired up Uplay and created an online mission.

I think this is going to be simple and friggin fun.

Uplay Friend me dude... sir.
"Train as you fight, fight as you train"

Dave

Post by Dave » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:22 am

Thaine wrote: If you have a steam version. The generic patcher won't work. Please consult Subsim for your possibilities. The mods should work however.
Argh. I couldn't find my old boxed copy so I repurchased the steam version. Well that sucks.

Bubi

Post by Bubi » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:52 am

Dave wrote:
Thaine wrote: If you have a steam version. The generic patcher won't work. Please consult Subsim for your possibilities. The mods should work however.
Argh. I couldn't find my old boxed copy so I repurchased the steam version. Well that sucks.
Read this:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=208468

Apparently some patchers have problems, but most mods will work with the steam version. The DVD version seems to not be affected by the TDC patcher.

Dave

Post by Dave » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:54 am

Went ahead with the mods regardless, for better or worse. Must admit I'm a tad peeved at Subsim's download limit thing. At this rate it's going to take me 3 days to get everything installed.

Bubi

Post by Bubi » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:29 am

I did the $5 donate thing and the limits didn't affect me any more.

Appearently Blacks warning was legit, but he didn't give details. The CDROM DVD version is more mod friendly than the Steam version because of the supposed embedded DRM code within. That being said, I also read that most of the CTDs are due to mod install order because some mods overwrite each other causing issues. So the mod patching order is critical, and using one that is known to be stable is the way to go. It's also important to make mod changes when at port and not at sea, as it has something to do with when files are written and used.

Another way would be to just use as is out of the box or steam without mods.

This modding minefield madness is what scares away players. It almost does me too, but once we get past these teething issues and learning curve, it won't be as big of a migraine.

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:17 am

Dave wrote:Must admit I'm a tad peeved at Subsim's download limit thing. At this rate it's going to take me 3 days to get everything installed.
I sort of understand, but I don't think they're being unreasonable.

I've used Subsim for years, and for a long time they didn't charge anything to host the files. But when SH5 came along it was such a barrel of shite that almost everything needed modding, and subsequently the number of files and downloads climbed steeply. Since there were no standout supermods everyone was trying to tinker and create their own mod soup, which meant it was all terribly unstable, which in turn meant that everyone was starting over, re-downloading different mixtures of mods to try to make the perfect setup, then new versions would be made to try to increase compatibility, and it would all start over again.

I don't know the details, but I can only believe that the data costs were horrendous. My SH3 downloads come to about 8.5Gb when unpacked, and I played the game for donkey's years. My SH5 mod file (unpacked) is about 14.5Gb, and doesn't include all the stuff that I found doesn't work so threw away - maybe about 5-6Gb more I'd guess.

For years Onkel Neal tried to get by on donations from the regulars, but I guess in the end that wasn't enough so he came up with a system that would let regular users gradually tinker with their installs, but meant that anyone stumbling in wanting to download a whole barrowload at once might be encouraged to help with the costs. He doesn't force it, he don't have a pop at anyone who does it the slow way, and he's very gracious (by automatic response :lol: ) to those that pay up. Also, he doesn't try to protect the income by refusing links to other file stores - in fact I think he actively encourages people to host their files elsewhere, which wouldn't make sense if he was profiteering on the deal.

Personally, after years of good service from Neal, I was happy to help out anyway, and if it turns out that he's making a bit of money after his years of helping out the community then I'm quite happy for him to do so. SH5 cost me 67p from G2Play, so giving Neal a fiver so that I can turn it into a working game seemed like a fair deal.

Please note, this is not in any way intended as a rant, I can fully understand why at first glance it's annoying to have another impediment to gaming, but rather in the hope that you will think well of Neal and all the others at Subsim, since they have added so much to my enjoyment down the years...
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Dave

Post by Dave » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:50 pm

Well that's fair enough. I did cave in the end and made a donation so I could continue downloading anyway. Although all this did prompt me to reinstall SH3 with GWX (so much simpler, thank god). Still good even now, even if it's looking a bit dated. Roughly about halfway through Thaine's list of mods at the moment. It's going a bit slow because I've been having some internet problems of late.

Bubi

MP TESTING: Success for vanilla installs

Post by Bubi » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:57 pm

Well we confirmed that regardless Uplay/DVD or Steam/DigDwnLoad, they are compatible for online MP for v1.2 vanilla install
We also confirmed that Thaines Uplay install could also install the TDC patcher (modifies the executable) and still play online with me, using the vanilla unpatched and unmodded version. We did run into trouble when Thaine used the patcher and the mods, and me vanilla. We have more testing to do, including my modding my Steam version and testing again.

Ultimately the goal would be for both the UPlay and Steam versions to work both exe-patched for TDC realism, and Mods using JSGME installer to add all the graphics, sound, and other realism updates that dont modify the SH5.exe. It appears that the Steam launcher inhibits exe patching. We dont know this for sure or if there workarounds yet.

What we do know, is that MP works great for Uplay and Steam for generic "vanilla" (no mods no patches) v1.2 SH5. Which is very playable and fun.

More MP screenies in the Screenie/movie area.

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:07 am

Ah, good to hear! I half expected it to not work at all given SH5's previous history.

I got lazy in the end and installed Wolves of Steel instead of all the individual mods. REALLY enjoying it so far. Aside from the Das Boot stuff it added in (which, like Thaine I'm not so terrifically keen on) it's very solid. In fact the ability to walk around the sub and chat with the crew, in addition to the rather gorgeous graphics and it being in my monitor's native resolution is thus far providing an even more immersive experience than good old SH3 GWX.

In some ways it reminds me of CloD in that it's an awful stock game taken above and beyond its predecessors thanks solely to the incredibly talented modding community.

Edit: Welp, I just got sunk because ship contacts weren't updating on my map even though I told them to. At this moment I'm unable to decide whether I'm being dense and doing it wrong, or the mod disables map contacts (which would be extremely annoying even if it's realistic), or maybe this is the weirdness caused by using the steam version with mods.