MODs

If underwater mayhem is your game then come here

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Malarky

Re: MODs

Post by Malarky » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:39 am

I'd be interested to hear more about whether or not the Steam version of the game really is that bad when it comes to modding (or at least, hear about people's opinions and personal experiences). The reason being, I'd like to pick the game up, mod it, and give it a try, since I enjoyed SH3 and 4, but I dunno if I'd be able to find a disk version of SH5 anymore. :S

Bubi

Post by Bubi » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:12 am

Keep reading these postings as we find out ourselves. But if you want to be safe, just buy the DVD CDROM version at Amazon for anywheres from 5-50 bucks depending upon condition and new or used. I have the Steam version, but I just bought the DVD version off Amazon for 19 bucks S&H included just as insurance. My time is valuable too and if the Steam doesnt work out, I can switch to the DVD version in a heart beat. So I wont party as much this weekend to make up for it. ;)

The good news is Steam d/l and UPlay (DVD purchased) versions play well together as unmodded and unpatched v1.2 online. Modding and patching is yet to be seen and its a very strict order dependant order to make it stable. Cant just load whatever you want and expect it to work online. Maybe so for offline solo, but MP requires more matching between host and clients.

The other thing is, the host has to have all the ports opened as presecribed, and the client side is less strict. I put my system in its router DMZ and hosted no problem to Thaine.

Save up your quid or bucks, its going to cost 10 - 30 bucks to get into this pokerr game.
"Train as you fight, fight as you train"

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:01 am

Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:34 am

Cheers, Thaine. I'll give that a go later.

Discovered my problem lies mostly in that with the mods I was using I was expected to play without map contacts from the get-go, using that spinny-wheel-thingy to plot firing solutions (Hydrophone contacts weren't showing up on the map though, so that's another mystery, but whatever). I suppose it makes me a bit of an arcadey noob in virtual-submariner circles, but I think I preferred the old SH3/4/vanilla 5 way of doing it by just getting the bearing, speed and range, and letting the computer calculate the rest - since frankly I found even THAT pretty hard most of the time.

I've gone back to doing a campaign in SH3 for the moment since I'm now in a U-boat mood, but I haven't yet given up on SH5. I think what I need to do is go back to square one and start picking mods that suit my playstyle rather than some big mod pack that assumes I'm some kind of virtual Otto Kretschmer.

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:41 am

You should play to your enjoyment. Nothing wrong playing with map contacts and letting the WO doing the firing solution. BTW. getting the bearing, speed, AOB and range is 90% of the job, and the hard part. Putting it into the TDC is just bookkeeping ;).

I will continue to put some vidoes online. If you like we can also have an online session and I show you some of the techniques that I use; once I've trained them again (cough).
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Bubi

Post by Bubi » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:00 am

OK, I downloaded all the patches from your list THAINE,

I have not attempted to unpack and run JSGME or the patcher yet.

Bubi

Post by Bubi » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:30 am

after patcher and mods... runs but has some issues

Robo

Post by Robo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:10 am

What the hell are yo guys doing? The whole Swedish Navy is looking for you! :lol:

Random

Post by Random » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:25 am

Anyone know of a way to get correct stadimeter readings? I have used the generic patcher stadi fix and its still off. Im not sure if its just the additional units that have been added by mods or every ship having wrong mast height.

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:29 am

Probably a silly question, but are you making sure the crosshairs are lined up exactly with the ship's waterline before making the reading? Although I'm not sure I'm in a position to give advice. I can't hit the broad side of a battleship at the moment myself.