SH5 or SH3 ?

If underwater mayhem is your game then come here

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

melnibonian

Re: SH5 or SH3 ?

Post by melnibonian » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:54 pm

Although I am a bit biased as I have been a member of the GWX Development Team I think that SH3/GWX is by far the most comprehensive WWII submarine simulation. The level of detail and immersion is unparalleled in my opinion.

It is true that the game is old and it shows by now but it can still offer endless challenges and virtually unlimited gameplay

Just my two cents
Mel

Geordie

Post by Geordie » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:34 pm

I really need to dig out my copy of of SH3. The problem I had was when I brought up the book to idenfy subs it only showed merchant ships =(
I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game — Sir Harry Broadhurst

melnibonian

Post by melnibonian » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:49 pm

You can get SH3 fairy cheap nowadays.

Regarding the identification book you can find all military vessels together under the different country sections.

In any case if you need any help let me know and I will be happy to assist

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:07 pm

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for any work you did on GWX. I can't even guess how many hours I ploughed into SH3 over the years thanks to GWX. It was a marvellous mod for a decent game, and none of its successors ever really reached the same heights (depths?). Cracking stuff.

Thanks for the good times :nice:
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

melnibonian

Post by melnibonian » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:25 pm

Thanks a lot for your kind words. It is always a pleasure to see a happy customer :D :salute:

GWX was a really particular project to be honest as there was a unique combination of a vibrant and supportive community, dedicated individuals and talented modders that worked together in very close collaboration. In essence we were trying to make a mod of the game that we wanted to play and the community allowed us all the time in the world to make sure that there will be no compromises on quality. Obviously there were problems with the final product but I think the outcome pleased the majority of the SH3 players.

SH3 is still one of my favorite games and I must say it is probably the game I had the best value for money if you think that I've bought it for about £30 and played non-stop on a daily basis for more than 5 years! That's probably less than a penny per day!

I still have it on my hard drive and fire it from time to time, but it is getting old now. As you said none of the successors were anywhere near the SH3 quality in terms of the game engine (SH4 and 5 were just fancy graphics and no substance) and this made it really difficult to even try to migrate GWX on these platforms. Sadly enough if Ubisoft had delayed the announcement of the upcoming release of SH5 for a few months there would have been a GWX version of SH4. Fate plays strange games sometimes I guess.....

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:24 pm

Now that we've heard you have skilz, how about getting into aircraft???? ;)

http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/forum/v ... f=3&t=2213
:nice:

Obermann

Post by Obermann » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:54 am

melnibonian wrote:Thanks a lot for your kind words. It is always a pleasure to see a happy customer :D :salute:

GWX was a really particular project to be honest as there was a unique combination of a vibrant and supportive community, dedicated individuals and talented modders that worked together in very close collaboration. In essence we were trying to make a mod of the game that we wanted to play and the community allowed us all the time in the world to make sure that there will be no compromises on quality. Obviously there were problems with the final product but I think the outcome pleased the majority of the SH3 players.

SH3 is still one of my favorite games and I must say it is probably the game I had the best value for money if you think that I've bought it for about £30 and played non-stop on a daily basis for more than 5 years! That's probably less than a penny per day!

I still have it on my hard drive and fire it from time to time, but it is getting old now. As you said none of the successors were anywhere near the SH3 quality in terms of the game engine (SH4 and 5 were just fancy graphics and no substance) and this made it really difficult to even try to migrate GWX on these platforms. Sadly enough if Ubisoft had delayed the announcement of the upcoming release of SH5 for a few months there would have been a GWX version of SH4. Fate plays strange games sometimes I guess.....

Thank you for your work enhancing SH3. I remember many great times as Kaleun of a Uboot using your mod. Thank you much, you truly made SH3 a wonderful simulation.

Menace

Post by Menace » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:53 pm

I've been playing the Silent Hunter series since I was 8. Started off with Silent Hunter 3. Sadly never got to play aces of the deep or the older SH games. But I played SH3 whenever I could. Man it was fun. Then SH4 came out, and then U-Boat missions for SH4. I was into that in no time. Most of my childhood was spent playing these games. Now I've started playing Silent Hunter 5, and have The Wolves of Steel megamod for it. I'm having lots of fun, since when the game first came out, it was dreadful. I never got past my first set of missions ever. But now, with mods, i'm having a good time. It's also become more immersive because of the mod. You actually get radio messages of what's going around outside, as in, other subs and ships report their positions and contacts and all, and you can plan attacks according to this. Or just do your own shit. So if you ask me, SH3 is older, but more solid. With GWX it's lovely. Silent Hunter 5 is still buggy, but the Mods help. Another added bonus is that you can actually WALK AROUND and talk with your fellow crewmen. well, only the most important ones. ANYWAYS, I'd go with SH5. fun fun fun. Whatever, that's my fanboy rant about these games. I just love 'em so much!
~Menace
Ayy blyat!