Wags about the upcoming ww2 map for DCS

Vintage realism

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Redeye

Wags about the upcoming ww2 map for DCS

Post by Redeye » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:52 pm

Appearantly, he wants to know about airfields in England as well as north of Paris...

Thats right gents- seems Wags is looking into the possibility of a Channel map rather than a Normandy one.

Great news for all and opens up a lot of valid scenarios for late-war birds that DCS keep pumping out.

Also- I read today that ED will start making early war planes (Hurri's and spit's and e3's etc) after the Jug release. I have mixed feelings about that, since I worry it might turn out to be "butter scraped over to much bread" as Mr. Baggins put it. I'd rather have a realized 43-45 scenario and AC. CloD does all early war excellent anyway...

Anyways- here is the link for Wags post:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135412

Bounder

Re: Wags about the upcoming ww2 map for DCS

Post by Bounder » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:37 pm

Get in! A channel map will be brilliant. Also AFAIK it's very unlikely to be instead of but rather in addition/ an extension of the Normandy map (which is due to go out to kickstarter alpha backers jan/feb).

We've known about planned early Spit, Hurricane and 109 for a quite while now - but it's VEAO that are making them. They are on the list and we even saw a Spit I/II model on advertising for the mkXIV. VEAO have access to them and so it's no surprise they are making them. I don't really have mixed feelings, as from the a/c on their list other than the Lancaster, it seems pretty good choice given access, goes with the P40 nicely and who doesn't like BoB? We will have the P51D, Spitfire IX, Spitfire XIV, P47, Fw190D9 and 109-K4 (plus the me-262, the Gladiator & Meteor, the Typhoon, Bearcat, & Wildcat all scheduled for 2015-ish release) which is plenty of late war fighters to be playing with. What we could really do with are some flyable bombers but that'll come (i.e. B17 and Lancaster).

[EDIT] For those interested here are some of the recent quotes about the planned BoB era a/c (from this thread http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=115453&page=34):
We have contacts who own 4 Spitfire I's plus several II's as well plus other in restoration.
You will for sure see an early Spitfire from us, plus we have contacts with unbelievable data on the BF109E3/4 including current pilots rated on type
Its safe to say that once our current line up of 4 warbirds has been completed BoB period aircraft will follow soon after
Pman

Forum member question: will you be doing an equivalent era Hurricane? The BoBMF one is from 1943 isn't it?
answer: Yes, one of the Hurricanes from BBMF is a later variant, but they have another earlier one in long term restoration.
On top of that I have access to 3 airworthy Hurricanes as well as 5+ pilots rated on type signed up to authenticate FM's etc etc not too mention bundles of technical data and engineers to assist.
It is my intention to do one as well, but as with all things, everything is subject to change.
Pman

Forum member question/statement: Please, not before the Tempest! I'd even settle for the Typhoon.
answer: Sorry no current plans for a tempest.
Hawker Typhoon eta is end of 2015 to early 2016
Pman
My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).
Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5, & a bottle of Scotch.

Redeye

Post by Redeye » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:24 am

Yeah, it is great news off course. But what I meant is that I hope for a realized ww2 sandbox with period AI units, reworked AI for ww2 (Fly in relevant formations etc), reworked comms and the ability to immerze yourself- also in singleplayer. It's all good as far as flyables go, that is swell enough- but to me a Wildcat and a Me 262 duking over Nevada just does not do much, which is why I spend so little time in their current ww2 lineup. People have different things that pull them into sims, and for me it is the time machine/immersion factor and for that I'd like a fully fleshed out setting just like Georgia has been for modern.

Don't get me wrong though- I'm not complaining. I love DCS and the direction they are taking for the future.

All good things come in time and are heading our way though- and a Channel map is surely what the doctor ordered:)

Vukac
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Vukac » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:53 am

I may be a strange man, and I want to be at the same time flier jets, helicopters and airplanes WWII. I personally believe that I will soon have to decide, and I'm already half decided that I would stay in the "story" a/c WWII.

P.S.
Google Translate is not very good, so I apologize for that!
Vukac :oops:

Bounder

Post by Bounder » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:45 pm

I get where you are coming from Redeye and ww2+DCS isn't there yet nor will it be the package for everyone. On the points you raise though, the ww2 sandbox with period AI units is exactly what they are working on. ED are already doing some of the little things while we wait like period costumes and if they don't rework comms on the period maps you can bet the modders will. Same will go for single player campaigns but all this has to come after we have the map and AI units. The real test imo will be if EDGE lives up to what it promises and whether the devs can deliver the planned content.
My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).
Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5, & a bottle of Scotch.