dcs movie sign up thread

Vintage realism

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Vukac
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Re: dcs movie sign up thread

Post by Vukac » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:31 pm

I would like to join.But,German language I did not speak any written 25 years.
When I listen to talk me on channel TC can understand it, but I can not rightly say.
Because I often silent. :oops:
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."

Goat

Post by Goat » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:31 pm

I'm up for this. I can fly the 109 or the P-51. I don't speak German and am in American time zones though.

Agreed on the comment that a formation landing of 109s in DCS would be terrifying. As long as I don't have to be in the lead position for that, though, I think it would be ok.

Chuck_Owl

Post by Chuck_Owl » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:41 pm

Hi guys!

Most of you probably know me already from either ATAG or DCS. I just wanted to let you guys know how the project was going so far.

The shooting is about 70 % done (out of the 8-minute long movie) and editing is already under way. I did get some good audio from the JG4 folks (Karaya, sKylon, Pylon and Gotha did a top job with some of the voiceovers) and great dogfight footage from JG52 (Ziegler, Hans Gruber, Meyer and Steiner) in their new yellow-nosed skins. Looks pretty slick. So I think I can live without dogfight footage and german audio from you guys...

There are two parts of the movie though where I want to do something new. I know the folks at ACG are among the very best at formation flying, and I wanted to try to do something that has never even been attempted before. No, don't worry, I'm not talking about formation takeoff and landing (several attempts ended in failure not because of the quality of the pilots but rather due to limitations of the DCS MP replay system). I'm talking about doing stuff of this caliber https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkJV1nE0tx8 These guys are good, but I'm sure we can do just as good, if not even better.

The only thing I would need is basically a close formation flying with as many Bf.109s as we can muster and attempt to do a clean tight formation flying for no more than 2 minutes at about 150-200 ft from the ground. Another particular shot I want to do is a formation roll (I don't know what it's called to be honest) just like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X_ToiF ... KceXO1J6hg at 1:55.

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:23 pm

Sounds good to me. Formation flying's become fairly second nature to us lot actually so you've come to the right place, bud. That maneuver in the last link you posted is referred to as the "peel" or "peel off". We've actually done it before a few times on training nights so it shouldn't be too much trouble. The hardest part is getting a neat echelon right/left to start with, actually.

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:24 pm

Chuck_Owl wrote:Another particular shot I want to do is a formation roll (I don't know what it's called to be honest) just like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X_ToiF ... KceXO1J6hg at 1:55.
It's called a peel - and we have practiced it before because funnily enough it also appears in ACG's next production :) :

Look forward to seeing the finished result Chuck... I really like your work.

Chuck_Owl

Post by Chuck_Owl » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:57 pm

The "peel" manoeuvre, yes! That's the term I was looking for.

I had hoped that we'd get enough people to organize the flight before the holidays... but now I bet it's going to be very difficult to get anyone in the air with Christmas knocking on our door. Darn.

You guys are literally the only missing piece of the puzzle. :mrgreen:

Javelina

Post by Javelina » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:48 pm

I can do this as well, depending on the time & date.

Though I'm in the West Coast USA timezone, so that might be an issue.

thanks for the offer!

-Jav
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, i7-9700k (4.9ghz all cores), NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL-14 3200mhz RAM, RTX3090FE, Soundblaster Z, Yamaha 5.1 A/V, 2x 512GB Samsung NVMe, 1x 1TB Samsung NVMe, Win 10 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, JetSeat KW-908, Reverb G2, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Case, EVGA 850P2 PSU, PointCTRL

Robo

Post by Robo » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:38 pm

Chuck_Owl wrote: great dogfight footage from JG52 (Ziegler, Hans Gruber, Meyer and Steiner
We can also do dogfight footage better. We're not a 'formation flying' squad. Just saying ;) :mrgreen:

Luke

Post by Luke » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:40 am

Sign me up guys. I can fly either the 109 or a P51. Let me know when filming will commence.

Chuck_Owl

Post by Chuck_Owl » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:01 am

Robo wrote:
Chuck_Owl wrote: great dogfight footage from JG52 (Ziegler, Hans Gruber, Meyer and Steiner
We can also do dogfight footage better. We're not a 'formation flying' squad. Just saying ;) :mrgreen:
It's not a matter of whether you guys are better at dogfighting than JG52 or not... just saying ;) I can't have 8 minutes of burning Mustangs... it's not a 109-guncam-montage. Dogfight footage in itself is pretty easy to obtain: shots are quick and focused on one, two or three airplanes per shot at most as there is only so much you can capture with a camera. I could have shot the dogfight scenes by myself to be honest.

Formation flying, on the other hand, is the only thing I cannot do by myself or using AI, which is why I requested ACG's help in the first place. You guys are skilled and organized, and that's exactly why I need your help with the formation scenes (and aerobatics in case you guys feel like it).

But by all means if you have some time for dogfight scenes, feel free to impress me. But keep in mind that there are already more than 50 hours involved in shooting and editing the 70 % of video footage already completed.