Advanced Teamspeak Radio Plugin?

Founding grounds of ACG.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Woop

Advanced Teamspeak Radio Plugin?

Post by Woop » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:40 am

Radios. Love them or hate them, they're here to stay.

This is an idea I've had for a while for this game, ever since I played ArmA2 MilSim with ACRE (Advanced Combat Radio Environment) and later ArmA3 with Task Force Radio. If you want examples of this in action, check out ShackTactical on YouTube. It's in many ways much like Squad's VOIP.

These are both plugins for Teamspeak 3 and have the following features for the games they were made for.

- The basic feature is that it splits Teamspeak into at least two modes. The 'normal' mode is normal speech for all in-game characters with positional audio. If someone shouts for a medic from far behind me, then I will hear his voice from where his character is currently at in-game. Then there's the 'radio' mode, of which a character can have more than one. When the player presses a different key, this activates the radio and he can now communicate with all the members of his squad or the other commanders etc.

- All radios' signals are influenced by distance and obstacles. All this is done through Teamspeak 3. The plugin basically receives in-game info on the characters' location and distorts or fades out the sound in Teamspeak accordingly.

- Other cooler features include users getting silently moved out of the channel if their character dies and they are muted if they fall unconscious or get severely injured.

- As everyone can talk to anyone in the ArmA3 mission environment, this means all users need to be in the same Teamspeak channel for it to work. But they can only hear the characters in their immediate vicinity (including enemy) or voices over the radio their character is carrying in-game. This also means that if you pick up an enemy's radio in-game, you can listen in (and talk) to the enemy's conversations.

It's a really cool plugin that adds loads of immersion to the game.

All this gave me a raging boner when I thought about something along these lines for CloD and our Campaign Missions.

Speaking of possibilities here are some features that could work in CloD very nicely, adding that extra something to our campaign nights.

- Voice Distortion over distance, altitude and obstacles. This would of course have to be backed up with historical research.

- Plugin receives character and aircraft information. For instance if character is dead, mortally wounded, bailed out, crash landed in land or water or ju‌st has a damaged radio set, as well information on it's position.

Player joins game -> client moved silently from Ready Room to Mission Channel
Pilot dies -> client moved silently to other channel
Pilot heavily wounded -> client muted in mission channel (?)
Pilot bailed out -> client moved silently to other channel
Pilot crash lands in water -> client moved silently to other channel
Destroyed radio set -> client muted in mission channel
Pleayer leaves game -> client moved silently to other channel

These can of course be set differently depending on the requirement of whatever mission is running.

Other things that somehing like this would need is:

- Squadron interface set before the mission, for squadron members to talk to eachother as we do now.

- Option for full real historical radio. Everyone hears everyone else on the same frequency, just like in real life.

Now I don't have the technical or coding knowledge to make any of this a reality, but I will try to find out how the plugin works and maybe someone else with the necessary knowledge will also get a raging boner thinking about such an idea and maybe do something about it. That being said I don't expect this to come to fruition ever, but I thought I'd just put it out there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The main question here is of course if CloD and the server the mission running on, provides such information at all? Is this even possible?

tl;dr a dream for better radios.

What do you think?

:salute:

W.
Last edited by Woop on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coopes
Major
Major
ACG Board
contributor

Re: Teamspeak Radio Plugin?

Post by Coopes » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:43 am

Firefly I believe had gotten the teamspeak plugin for radio sounds working. I tried it, although I like the change of voice coming over the net, I didn't like how it made all the speech too quiet. There maybe a way to improve that but I didn't bother looking into it.

Woop

Re: Teamspeak Radio Plugin?

Post by Woop » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:44 am

Coopes wrote:Firefly I believe had gotten the teamspeak plugin for radio sounds working. I tried it, although I like the change of voice coming over the net, I didn't like how it made all the speech too quiet. There maybe a way to improve that but I didn't bother looking into it.
I use that too, it's nice to differentiate whispers from in-channel stuff. Plus there's a positional audio one which helps a lot. You can set whispers in the left ear and others in the right.

But this is a whole other beast Coopes. It would take info from the game to up the immersion in Campaign. Not just changing someone's voice. :salute:

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Re: Advanced Teamspeak Radio Plugin?

Post by Dickie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:27 pm

Used this type of feature in PR year back with Mumble, you could shout at the enemy, and it's built in to the stock PR now.

Interesting as long as we can set the range, so fly 100 miles away (or whatever ranges the sets had) and you are no longer able to communicate. It wouldn't be quieter but perhaps it would start to break up. It would require research of RT sets.

I like the idea of silently moving folk out of channel, the "Oh I'm dead" whilst reporting where someone is isn't realistic....

Coopes
Major
Major
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Coopes » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:43 pm

Im all over the immersion. Used to use ACRE when playing Arma 2, when you were hit and unconscious bleeding out you couldn't talk to team mates both local and on the net.

Before Normandy the guys that flew DCS with me, we used simple radio. If you were shot down then you were not able to talk to anyone, or if you were not on the right frequency. And distance and terrain played a part also. It was great. Waiting for them to make it compatible with V2.1.

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:02 pm

I've got a boner now. Thanks woop.

I played Arma 3 with ACRE and since wished we had something for cliffs.
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Trystan

Post by Trystan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:38 pm

Fwiw RAF fighters of the time had the TR1133 radio which had 4 preset frequencies. The desired frequency (out of the four) was selected by buttons.

I don't know the actual operational usage, but I would imagine one was squadron and another was ASR
ASUS Z97 / Intel i7-4790K@4.2 GHz / 64 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080Ti 11GB / WINDOWS 10 64-bit / 3 x 27" Monitors / Oculus Rift / Thrustmaster 16000m / Thrustmaster FCS Throttle Quadrant / Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:12 pm

Can't believe I read that whole post waiting for Woop to say, "...and I've found a way to do it in CloD," or, "... so I'm going to start coding it if anyone can help me extract the info from the server," and instead it ended up being, "...wouldn't that be great? Of course it'll probably never happen." :cry:

You shouldn't go getting our hopes up like that, don't you know how fragile we are? :lol:
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Woop

Post by Woop » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:27 pm

Broadsword wrote:Can't believe I read that whole post waiting for Woop to say, "...and I've found a way to do it in CloD," or, "... so I'm going to start coding it if anyone can help me extract the info from the server," and instead it ended up being, "...wouldn't that be great? Of course it'll probably never happen." :cry:

You shouldn't go getting our hopes up like that, don't you know how fragile we are? :lol:
Got the idea sitting on the bog yesterday :? But I will look into it.

That being said, I have the coding aptitude of a gibbon on speed, which means I have the will but not the skills.

Don't know if it's even possible. :cry:

Trystan

Post by Trystan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:47 pm

Might be... I'll see what it takes to write a ts plugin..

Then it would take someone with knowledge of the clod server
ASUS Z97 / Intel i7-4790K@4.2 GHz / 64 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080Ti 11GB / WINDOWS 10 64-bit / 3 x 27" Monitors / Oculus Rift / Thrustmaster 16000m / Thrustmaster FCS Throttle Quadrant / Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals