No.29 Squadron: AARs and Victory Board

The original knights of the skies

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Pariah

No.29 Squadron: AARs and Victory Board

Post by Pariah » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:18 pm

Watch this space for AARs and the Victory Board for No.29 Squadron.

Pariah

Re: No.29 Squadron: AARs and Victory Board

Post by Pariah » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:11 am

Mission Date: 01-06-16
Time: 11:10

A nice patrol over the German front resulted in a destroyed balloon and the loss of Stanley 'Pariah' Turner. Angus 'Secu' Lond was the one to claim the balloon. Chandler 'Boyezee' Lave assumed command after the demise of Pariah and successfully lead the boys back to the home base of Abeele (East).

Pariah

Post by Pariah » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:00 pm

Mission Date: 03-06-16
Time: 08:00

Up nice and early Cpt Archibald Baldwin led No.29 squadron on an intercept mission. Aircraft had been spotted and it was up to us to find them. We eventually found four DFWs and gave pursuit. We wouldn't have caught them but they turned to face us. After a protracted fight in slow motion Cpt Archibald Baldwin was shot by the rear gunner of one and was killed. Shortly after Lt Chandler 'Boyezee' Lave put in the finishing shots and claimed a DFW. The rest of the flight went safely and Lt Angus 'Secu' Lond led them back home as Boyezee heading home earlier injured. Bunny and Broadsword also headed back injured. Only one dead is not too bad.

Pariah

Post by Pariah » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:04 pm

Mission Date: 04-06-16

Another early flight and this time no enemy were sighted. Bunny heading back early with engine trouble and the rest continued on the patrol. Some F.E.2bs were spotted and it looked like they made it back safely. Cpt Andrew 'Pariah' Darling led the way and it was decided that a German balloon would be the target since no Hun wanted to show themselves. The final shots were provided by 2nd Lt Rufus 'Nev' Lewis. He gets his first claim with a balloon. The rest of the flight was uneventful and everyone made it back safely. The Captains craft took a battering on landing but he walked away fine.

Pariah

Post by Pariah » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:50 pm

Mission Date: 06-06-16
Time: 12:30

Just about time for the tea and scones to settle and it was up into the blue for Cpt Andrew 'Pariah' Darling's second sortie with 29 squadron. We were to patrol north through no mans land and then head back south on our side of the lines. This went smoothly until five Eindeckers tried to bounce us. We turned to face the dastardly hun and a close quarters combat ensued. As is the way with most of these combats before long we were on the deck and dodging ground fire as well as the Eindeckers. Lt Angus 'Secu' Lond put one into the ground and poor old 2nd Lt Rufus 'Nev' Lewis collided with another. Both planes hitting the deck. 2nd Lt Brendon 'Bunny' Morley claims another E.III and 2nd Lt Quenby 'Broadsword' Yelverton sits rather proud claiming two of the hun blighters. The rest of the patrol was clear of enemy aircraft and we returned home safely. A drink was had in the memory of Rufus Lewis. A fine pilot but seemed to take the 29 motto of 'Ramming Speed' to heart.

Who flew/Status/Claims

Cpt Andrew 'Pariah' Darling
Lt Angus 'Secu' Lond, Claims 1 E.III
2nd Lt Rufus 'Nev' Lewis. KIA
2nd Lt Brendon 'Bunny' Morley, Claims 1 E.III
2nd Lt Quenby 'Broadsword' Yelverton, Claims 2 E.III

Pariah

Post by Pariah » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:02 pm

Mission: 07-06-17
Time: 15:30

A slightly later mission this one. 2nd Lt Todd 'Bully' Kerriel was able to join us after his mechanics finally fixed his engine. A gave them a fine telling off but the scruffy urchin argued that he'd never seen a rotary engine before so how was he meant to fix it. I must have words with the Major on this. We can't be expected to run this show without the mechanics to get us flying.

This was a balloon busting mission. We were joined by a new pilot fresh out of flight school. 2nd Lt Hubert 'Nev' Barrett. We took off in good order and heading to the balloons in a straight line. Before we got to 1,000 feet though we were might with 4 Eindeckers coming down for us. A furball ensued. I got some good hits into one but got struck a few times from behind by a green Eindecker. The one I hit did go down though so I'm claiming my first kill. 2nd Lt Quenby 'Broadsword' Yelverton claims another two E.IIIs. The guy is becoming a bit of legend here in 29. That's 4 kills in the last two days. Bully then claimed his first kill downing the 4th E.III.

I and the others were now out of ammo so returned home without putting down the balloon.

Who flew/Status/Claims

Cpt Andrew 'Pariah' Darling, Claims 1 E.III
2nd Lt Hubert 'Nev' Barrett.
2nd Lt Todd 'Bully' Kerriel, Claims 1 E.III
2nd Lt Quenby 'Broadsword' Yelverton, Claims 2 E.III

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:16 pm

2nd sortie should be Bully not Bunny... ;)
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Pariah

Post by Pariah » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:21 pm

Whoops.
Corrected now.

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:43 am

Mission Date: 04-06-16

Headed over Sausage-Side for a bit of a looksy. I had just opened my picnic hamper and was preparing to launch the cork out of a rather fine bottle of bubbly from the stash that Bunny helped me liberate last week when I noticed a gaggle of Hun fliers trying to sneak up on us from our high 8 o'clock. Sending my cork out as a signal of alarm (since every good gentleman knows that the proper way to open your fizz is to rotate gently until the cork comes free with a sigh, so my sending it shooting skywards accompanied by a fountain of foam was surely enough to signal an unusual turn of events to my fellow officers) I turned to attack. The furball was fierce - we twisted and dived amongst the Hun at speeds of up to 110mph until we found ourselves almost down in the mud over the Boche trenches! Dodging ground fire I stuck to my Eindecker like glue until his engine started smoking. Apparently he went in soon afterwards. Switching to a new target I hammered this fellow until he decided to put down. I was pleased to see that he had made a successful forced landing, but even more pleased when his kite rolled across the grass and into the river, giving him a fine dunking! Hurrah! Captain Darling then led us home for tea and medals, though sadly Nev had bought it over no-man's land when one of the dastardly Hun decided to collide with him. Seems like the Squadron motto, "Velocitate Collisio", might apply to some of the other buggers up here with us...

Claims - Two Boche Buggers

Mission: 07-06-16
Time: 15:30

I think there is a spy in our ranks. We were supposed to head over Sauerkraut-Side to take out a couple of pesky spotting balloons that the Boche were using to take a peek at our deployments, if you know what I mean. Dashed unsporting of them. Anyway, we'd barely got into the air when four of their ugly little Eindeckers zipped over to our territory and tried to give us what for. I suspect that someone who opted not to fly with us this afternoon might have tipped Jerry off to our plans - I think it could be our engineer, Percy, since I'm sure it can't possibly be either of our two grounded fliers, Angus 'Secu' Lond or Count Gruber 'Bunny' Von Schnitzlehoff. Anyway, despite the Hun being led by a skilled pilot in a rather fetching green Eindecker, the four of us soon gave the four of them a proper drubbing. I pumped good British lead into one of the poor buggers until his engine conked and he nosedived into the field. I then witnessed the Green Eindecker and one of his white wingmen making forced landings nearby, having been damaged by Pariah and Bully. Two Hun rotters for the prison camps, and two of their machines to be used for firewood* in the officers mess, hurrah! The final villain was by now having an awful time as Pariah sat tight on his behind and emptied his magazines into him. Having shot his load, Pariah peeled off and Nev swooped in for seconds, pumping his own lead into the blighter and leaving a fearful mess before pulling out, utterly spent. I was third in the conga line, and took great delight in rattling my Lewis until the Hun coward decided that enough was enough and spun nose-first into the field. Four Jerries down, and no casualties for our boys. Hurrah!

Claims - Two Hun Cowards.

*With hindsight, it may have been wiser to send the captured German machines over to the intelligence boffins to see if they can figure out how their guns work. Maybe next time...
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Pariah

Post by Pariah » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:02 pm

Mission Date: 08-06-16
Time: 18:00

A later mission and one that saw us penetrate deep into enemy territory. The bosche must have been early to bed though as all we bagged and saw was a balloon. Quenby 'Broadsword' Yelverton got the kill and that was his fifth kill. We have an ace in our fine squadron. Unfortunately this mission saw the end of 2nd Lt Brendon 'Bunny' Morley. Archie put paid to his machine at 5,000 feet and he fell to his death.

This mission was flown by Pariah, Boyezee, Bunny, Broadsword, Bully, Jammy and Secu.

Mission Date: 09-06-16

An earlier start and this was an intercept mission. Enemy had been spotted and we were tasked with going up and seeking it out. We went up but despite our best efforts could only spot some F.E.2b's and it wouldn't have been very nice of us if we shot them down. We flew around for a bit, said hi to to the bombers and then returned home.

The major was waiting for us when we returned and gave me a medal to give to 2nd Lt Quenby 'Broadsword' Yelverton. The Military Cross. Well done that man.

This mission was flown by Pariah, Broadsword, Bully, Jammy and Secu.