Vive vs Oculus

Idle chat for all ACG and friends

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Boone

Vive vs Oculus

Post by Boone » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:01 pm

Hey yall, quick question....i've browsed through the forums briefly and didn't see anything about this topic, chances are i didn't go back far enough or i was looking in the wrong section. So if there is already a topic on this and you don't feel like repeating yourself, please feel free to point me :).

So the question...do any of yall use either the Vive or Oculus with any of the sims yall fly? If so, how are the graphics and are there any issues with bluring etc? I use track IR now, and instead of buying a bigger monitor i was thinking of just throwing the extra money into one of the above. From my own research i'm leaning more towards the Vive but wanted some additional input from folks.

Thank you.

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Re: Vive vs Oculus

Post by Donkey » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:35 pm

I use the Vive. Doesn't work with CloD, works well with DCS and really well with BoX. When you first put it on you will go "Damit, the res is poor". Which it is when compared to even a 1080p screen, however, it is *incredibly* immersive.

In terms of differences between the two, there are none really now that OR has the controllers. OR is lighter (not that the Vive is heavy) and cheaper. So it all boils down to whether you think Facebook is evil and if so is the Vive worth the premium.

Boone

Post by Boone » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Thanks for the info Donkez, it is hard to get a feel for the resolution sometimes when you are watching youtube videos of it. Not that i don't fully like my track IR, it's just annoying when it sometimes gets hung up when your looking up in a dogfight. The full immersion is another selling point for me.

I thought i did read that in TF 5.0 they were hinting at vive support, have you seen that?

Kildren

Post by Kildren » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:12 pm

Boone wrote:Thanks for the info Donkez, it is hard to get a feel for the resolution sometimes when you are watching youtube videos of it. Not that i don't fully like my track IR, it's just annoying when it sometimes gets hung up when your looking up in a dogfight. The full immersion is another selling point for me.

I thought i did read that in TF 5.0 they were hinting at vive support, have you seen that?
unless you are going to use the vive/OC for other games dont bother getting it far better off with a good monitor that will last you and see in a year or 2 where vr headsets go

ps. anyone remember 3d tvs? :roll:

Speak to me about joining the ACG Pilots Union

Boyezee

Post by Boyezee » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:30 pm

Hi Boone

I would really urge you to try one before buying, I bought an OR last year but returned it as I didn't feel that the technology is ready yet for combat flight sims, no doubt that the whole thing is fantastic (and it really really is) but I found that spotting and identifying contacts, targets etc was far too hard to be of any real use.

I could have held onto it to just use it in sims/aircraft where this was less of an issue but I was worried that I would be caught in a no mans land where VR wasn't good enough but a monitor would have felt lacklustre compared to it. So often I have heard people say they couldn't go back to a monitor after VR and for me this would have limited the sims/aircraft that I could use, for example I would have almost certainly stopped flying Cliffs.

In the end I went for an excellent monitor that I'm very happy with but even now I admit that I still consider buying an OR again but I keep holding off for those reasons, when the technology gets there it will be well worth it though.

TFS have mentioned support in TF5 but I really wouldn't factor that in to your decision making, if TF5 even does happen (have huge doubts myself) then it will be so far away that there is a good chance that you will have have likely moved onto other sims by then.

Boone

Post by Boone » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:46 pm

Boyezee, You bring up a really good point that i did forget to ask....spotting and identifying aircraft. It's good to know that bit of information. After all the feedback from yall i think at this point it would be better to get a better monitor and let the technology develop more. Thank yall for the input, saves me a few hundreds buck for the time being lol.

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:47 pm

By the time TF5 arrives you'll just be plugging it into the back of your neck :D

If you want to use it for other games, they do say that the Vive has a slight edge when it comes to room-scale moving around stuff (slightly better sensor setup) but if you just want to sit your arse in a chair and play then there's nothing between them. I got a Rift this summer, and have to say the effect in Elite Dangerous is bloody impressive...
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Boone

Post by Boone » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:53 pm

Ya i would be sitting my ass in a chair, and the only games i would really use it for is Bos/DCS and maybe some shitthunder. But if spotting is an issue...then i don't need to add to my lack of spotting lol.

Boone

Post by Boone » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:29 pm

27" MSI Curved monitor it is then!

This whole topic was between getting a bigger monitor or going VR, and i really do appreciate yalls inputs.

Onebad

Post by Onebad » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:44 pm

Boone wrote:Thanks for the info Donkez, it is hard to get a feel for the resolution sometimes when you are watching youtube videos of it. Not that i don't fully like my track IR, it's just annoying when it sometimes gets hung up when your looking up in a dogfight. The full immersion is another selling point for me.

TF 5.0 won't come out earlier than 2019 so we'll have to keep our pants on for now.