Some friendly criticism

Threats, foreign wars and an arms race in the skies

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Stahlwollvieh

Some friendly criticism

Post by Stahlwollvieh » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:21 pm

Hi guys, I've been playing on ACG Cold war for several months now and it has very quickly become my favourite public server. Kudos, it runs nicely set up missions and offers a nice challenge that is unlike any other sever I have seen so far.
There are, however, a few things that grind my gears which essentially all boil down to the same issue:
Blue pretty much always WAY outnumber red. I understand that, since everybody gets to choose what they want to fly, getting a reasonably balanced server set up is difficult. It does however have some fairly serious implications, in particular:

a) It strongly discourages people like me, who love aircraft like the F-5E, from flying some of their favourite planes on the server, to avoid creating even more imbalance (and boredom due to lack of enemies to engage) and...
b) in my opinion significantly worse than that, flying red helos is practically impossible. This is something I have noticed in the Springfield mission in particular, where during my last 5 attempts (over the course of 3 days) to fly the Mi-8 I was only able to get it started, loaded up with troops and airborne only once without eating bombs from some brave Harrier or Viggen pilots who figured out the FARP location and now apparently spend their entire day camping it, waiting for helos to spawn.

This practically leaves me with only one single aircraft to fly on there: The MiG-21bis. As much as I love it, I would love it even more to actually have (reasonably speaking) a choice in the matter.
The issue has been aggravated by the fact that both the Harrier and the Viggen have been added to the blue side, leaving the server with a 3:1 ratio of competitive/popular planes for blue. While I can understand the reasoning of having Viggens on blue, may I suggest to, for the sake of balance and gameplay, move them over to the red team?
Also, and I believe this to be a quite reasonable request, may I suggest to add some anti air defenses to the FARPs? It might be worth considering to even have them invincible, as otherwise some cunning Harrier and Viggen pilots will no doubt take those out first and then continue with their previous practices.

Sorry for the long post, but I believe these things need to be addressed to maintain a high quality of gameplay on the server.

IronJockel

Re: Some friendly criticism

Post by IronJockel » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:04 pm

Hi,
I understand that it can be annoying sometimes with people flying the Migs, but as Sweden is part of Nato it would be quite off, if we have Viggens flying for the Russians. We don't want to be a other 104 server (no offense intended here) It's up for ED and co to deliver more Commie Planes that we can add to the red side.
I had been telling Hitler for over a year, since my first flight in an Me-262, that only Focke Wulf Fw-190 fighter production should continue in conventional aircraft, to discontinue the Me-109, which was outdated, and to focus on building a massive jet-fighter force. - Galland
Any idiot could fly a Spitfire, but it took a lot of training to fly a 109. - Gerald Stapleton

Stahlwollvieh

Post by Stahlwollvieh » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:54 pm

I understand that, but reasonably speaking that's probably not gonna happen anytime soon. If I remember correctly the next 3rd gen planes on the roadmap somewhere down the line are the F4-E and the Mirage III, both of them with NATO. At this point the ratio would be 5:1 plus a Korean war jet and some helos each. The only reasonable addition to red I can currently think of would be the Hind, so yet another helo (feel free to correct me if I forgot something ofc).
I fully agree that more 3rd gen russian fighters would be great, but eventually you will have to start thinking about server sustainability.

May I ask what your stance is then on the FARP-rape issue (for lack of a better word)? While the server rules decidedly forbid killing of any aircraft on the ground or right after takeoff there is obviously no enforcement of this in play, otherwise it wouldn't be such a (from my experience) quite rampant issue. With blue having such crass air superiority at almost all times it is to be expected, too. Some decent SAM nets should be a fairly simple fix to that, and historically accurate as well considering the Commie approach during the cold war.

Carl_infar

Post by Carl_infar » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:01 am

anyway we cant have same planes both sides in my opinion because it would casue lot of friendly fire incidents. Especially low level where aquiring with radar is impossible there would be absolutly no possibility to know friend from foe.

As for FARP I'm with You for extended aaa defense.

As I wrote in some other post it would be nice to have R3R missile back for MIG21. All the sidewinders of the blue side have grater ranges and better all aspect abilites than R60s of MIG 21. Not speaking of the better pilot seat visibilites form AV8b, F5 or Wiggen.

Stahlwollvieh

Post by Stahlwollvieh » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:20 pm

Just for clarification, I didn't mean to imply that the Viggen should be shared across both teams, but rather moved to red entirely. Having shared planes would indeed be very bad.

Brigg

Post by Brigg » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:28 pm

IronJockel wrote:Hi,
I understand that it can be annoying sometimes with people flying the Migs, but as Sweden is part of Nato it would be quite off, if we have Viggens flying for the Russians. We don't want to be a other 104 server (no offense intended here) It's up for ED and co to deliver more Commie Planes that we can add to the red side.
Razbam are doing the Mig 19 so hopefully that will pull a few people.

VampireOne

Post by VampireOne » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:08 pm

Ouch.. Sweden a NATO member??? I think some Swedish politicians would protest wildly there... Norway, Iceland and Denmark are the nordic countries members of NATO. Finland and Sweden have always pledged neutrality.....

VampireOne

Post by VampireOne » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:10 pm

On a different matter but still with some mild criticism.
The immersion and realism suffers somewhat when aircraft are taking off left right and center in any direction. Would it be possible to state in the briefing which runway is used for Departures and Arrivals? Or put the wind up easterly or westerly above 15 kts..... ;)