Flight Sim World cancelled. Great article on fickle Flight Sim community

Flight Simulator X, Prepare3D, X-Plane,...

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Bonkin

Re: Flight Sim World cancelled. Great article on fickle Flight Sim community

Post by Bonkin » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:16 am

Timely find and a reminder about the fragility of our own small community.

LuftAsher

Post by LuftAsher » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:39 am

Bonkin wrote:Timely find and a reminder about the fragility of our own small community.
For real. This is such a niche hobby already, and divisive, antisocial behaviour on the part of people that develop these sims only serves to drive customers away. It doesn't matter if you're Team Cliffs, Team BoX or Team Fusion. You should be Team Flightsim if you want this shit to survive. I was never hugely into the more straight-and-level focused sims like FSX, P3D and so on, but I imagine if development of BoX were to be canned indefinitely, I'd be devastated, and that's with three completed products released already. Can't imagine how the guys who backed FSW feel.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:37 am

Link doesn't work for me

Mysticpuma

Post by Mysticpuma » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:40 pm

Dickie wrote:Link doesn't work for me
Definitely works, just checked.

Type in google

PCFlight flight sim world cancelled

should get the link up for you :)

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:46 pm

LuftAsher wrote:
Bonkin wrote:Timely find and a reminder about the fragility of our own small community.
For real. This is such a niche hobby already, and divisive, antisocial behaviour on the part of people that develop these sims only serves to drive customers away. It doesn't matter if you're Team Cliffs, Team BoX or Team Fusion. You should be Team Flightsim if you want this shit to survive. I was never hugely into the more straight-and-level focused sims like FSX, P3D and so on, but I imagine if development of BoX were to be canned indefinitely, I'd be devastated, and that's with three completed products released already. Can't imagine how the guys who backed FSW feel.
Actually I was coming at it from the other side, i.e. "divisive, antisocial behaviour by the customers that want these sims only serves to drive developers away".

Whatever. Lots of water under the bridge. Regardless of personality clashes, threats of legal action, heresay and other bollocks I'd still like to see TFS succeed. Honestly, why would anybody who loves this genre not want it to?

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:43 pm

I don't think anybody wants failure Bonkin, but there's a huge amount of unacceptable treatment from very much a minority. There's also a World of difference between wanting something to fail and just saying that you think it will if it carries on in the same way. It's a massive own goal to crap on so many in your own community as much as has happened.

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:50 pm

I think everybody, or almost everybody, welcomes TFS being successful in getting their product released and achieving a high quality. But it is as well about how this is achieved, and if you are ok with ignoring things that you dislike. I have to say that I'm less than impressed with Buzzsaw's conduct, and that my distaste of his behavior has spilled over on TFS. And as a customer, I remain the rights to not support a company that I have problems with. I'm still somewhat undecided. But I'm thinking very hard on if I want to support the behavior he has shown by purchasing the product and looking away.
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

LuftAsher

Post by LuftAsher » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:23 pm

Thaine wrote:But I'm thinking very hard on if I want to support the behavior he has shown by purchasing the product and looking away.
I'm thinking on the same thing, Thaine. There are few things I want more in the flightsim world right now than to fly a P-40 over North Africa, but if getting it means supporting a man as obnoxiously cockheaded as Buzzsaw, I'm not quite sure I'm willing to part with my money. I can only find solace in the fact that I won't have to think about Cliffs for a long while once we finish up the Battle of Britain. Issue is that once ACG starts looking at running campaigns there again, I'd essentially be letting Buzzsaw's actions dictate my membership in ACG, which isn't something I want to do either.

Decisions, decisions.

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:25 pm

Divisive behaviour on any side is exactly that, divisive. At some stage, someone has to stop it, else it will only self-prophesize. I personally would have liked ACG to have been that better side, but recent behaviour makes me feel that neither side is blameless. In getting knickers in a twist over certain individuals, the quiet ones who just want to get on in life, on both sides, are tarred with the same brush and dragged into the very tiresome politics of something that really isn't worth the time or effort spent on it. Some people really do need to get a life outside of simming, and some people really do need to be less sheep-like and stop jumping on a hysteria bandwagon that really is on a road to nowhere.

There was a time when the banter on these forums was Hurricanes versus Spitfire pilots. Reds v Blues. It was fun banter. Things have changed, as far as I can see, for the worst. Someone will no doubt wade in and blame it on something someone else said, or someone else did, and justify their actions. But at the end of the day, it's all ridiculously childish and every one of us will suffer.

We should be spending our time on researching the next front, researching the possibilities of mission making in the new BoX arena, how we're going to organise sides - all the fun stuff to look forward to, being proactive, being passionate about our move to fresh pastures. Doing things that made ACG the great group it was. Instead, a portion of people are intent on keeping a feud going that is so bloody pointless it's practically blunt, and in the process is damaging what is already a very small community.

Now I expect someone to justify that portion of the community in response, but it's bollocks. It really is.

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams