Tip for our mission builders

Discussion regarding mapping and missions in here - we are talking FMB chaps. Perhaps you are building a mission for the server or for campaign? Talk to the experts - we always need people willing to muck in so don't be shy!

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

WickedFox
Staff

Tip for our mission builders

Post by WickedFox » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:01 pm

I was reading IL2 forums today and came across this dude claiming that his server improved after he deleted towns on the edge of the map he did not need for the actual scenario.. As far as i know when most people design a new map they imort the standard static buildings and airfields from the original files, Maybe an idea would be to atleast delete some of the villages and towns in outlying areas wich is unlikely to be overflown anyway ?
Altso try to ensure the server host is running the Dserver with power options set to Max (Perfomance) as any other setting
is known to degrade server performance..
Just a thought as the current server problems annoy me to no end :D
WickedFox
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam. (I shall either find a way or make one)
Ave ACG, morituri te salutant. (Hail, ACG, those who are about to die salute you.)

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Re: Tip for our mission builders

Post by Donkey » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:39 pm

Hi Wicked,

So:

1) I Don't know if mission builders are removing "edge" towns - but I would imagine they are. Maybe Luft or someone can elaborate?
2) The server is already on High Performance, has always been.
3) We are running on an old, slow CPU (i5-4590). We know this, and there is a meeting happening soon to discuss finding a new host - not least because the current server is leased in Pitti's name and now that he has moved on he would like to free himself from that commitment.
Last edited by Donkey on Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boyezee

Post by Boyezee » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:49 pm

I'm pretty sure they are removing non essential towns already, when I built one of the test missions before we moved to BOX proper we were removing them and that was ages ago.

Toast

Post by Toast » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:04 pm

How about removing the runway fires. Surely they have an impact, and are not really necessary???

WickedFox
Staff

Post by WickedFox » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:01 pm

Thx for the replies :)
WickedFox
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam. (I shall either find a way or make one)
Ave ACG, morituri te salutant. (Hail, ACG, those who are about to die salute you.)

Kai Lae

Post by Kai Lae » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:47 am

Toast wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:04 pm
How about removing the runway fires. Surely they have an impact, and are not really necessary???
We asked and people said "we like them". We however hate them as you can't see them in the editor, and they have a tendancy to jump into the air for no reason.

As for towns at map edge this isn't something we have done before to my knowledge.