Former ED dev has been arrested for smuggling F-16 docs out of the US:
https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comment ... urce=share

Latest from ED:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=54
"Lawyer by Profession, Pilot by Heart"

Digby

Re: (Former) ED dev arrested

Post by Digby » Tue May 14, 2019 2:04 am

Thanks for sharing Swinder, hopefully just a misunderstanding from all parties involved.

Geordie

Post by Geordie » Tue May 14, 2019 9:53 am

Oh dear... It's a legal minefield with these things sadly.

As we all know Russia and the US aren't the best of friends. This actually reminds me of when the Bohemia developers were arrested when they were making ARMA 3. Link below to that story if anyone is interested.

https://www.polygon.com/2013/2/8/396881 ... -in-greece
I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game — Sir Harry Broadhurst

Woop

Post by Woop » Tue May 14, 2019 9:57 am

Geordie wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:53 am
Oh dear... It's a legal minefield with these things sadly.

As we all know Russia and the US aren't the best of friends. This actually reminds me of when the Bohemia developers were arrested when they were making ARMA 3. Link below to that story if anyone is interested.

https://www.polygon.com/2013/2/8/396881 ... -in-greece
In that case they were however taking pictures of actual military installations in an area in which tensions are high and Turkish air incursions are nearly a daily occurrence.

Kai Lae

Post by Kai Lae » Tue May 14, 2019 2:09 pm

ITAR violation. Size yourself for a prison jumpsuit. When the Feds want you bad enough to have you extradited from a foreign country, it’s not because they want to share recipes on how to make s’mores.

Onebad

Post by Onebad » Tue May 14, 2019 6:16 pm

Official statement by Matt Wagner:

Lausanne, 14 May 2019.

The Eagle Dynamics group, headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland, confirms that one of its employees has been jailed in the State of Utah (USA) on charges of seeking to procure, export and sell restricted US fighter jet manuals, in particular the F-16.

Eagle Dynamics confirms that it was not involved in any way in the actions of its employee who acted in a purely private context and for his own personal interests.

The Company develops all of its DCS aircraft game modules exclusively on the basis of publicly available information and has never used nor tried to obtain any classified information.

The Company launched an internal investigation into the actions of its employee, and found nothing in the company's records that relates to the facts that are being held against him. The investigation confirmed in particular that no company resources were used and that no export restricted documents were obtained or stored within the company's systems. Furthermore, the Company confirms that the employee was not involved in any of the work or research pertaining to the development of the Company's upcoming F-16 module.

The development of the F-16 and other modules currently in the pipeline will continue in order to further enhance the simulation experience of DCS World. These events will not affect Eagle Dynamics' commitment to its users and faithful community.

Thank you,
Matt Wagner
Senior Producer, Eagle Dynamics SA

Vranac

Post by Vranac » Tue May 14, 2019 9:29 pm

I knew it, I finally installed 2.5.4 :D

But joking aside, this is really nuts. He was arrested in Georgia and they extradited him. And from what I read that was a real 'operation', he was approached by an agent on a forum in 2016. And he was allegedly selling these manuals to Cyprus, Japan, Australia, Germany and Taiwan.
Ahh damn, that was just to cover the traces...

Wiggy

Post by Wiggy » Wed May 15, 2019 8:46 am

Vranac wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:29 pm
I knew it, I finally installed 2.5.4 :D
Awesome Vranac :D
I have a dedicated server up and running — dogfight missions, combined squadron server etc. Let me know if you’re interested, need more LW pilots ;)

Onebad

Post by Onebad » Wed May 15, 2019 12:12 pm

Actual footage of the CIA agent arresting the guy

LuftAsher

Post by LuftAsher » Wed May 15, 2019 12:25 pm

That's a still image you fucking dope