Requesting feedback on a cloud/colour/atmosphereric mod in BoX

Mother Russia invaded by ACG!

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Mysticpuma

Requesting feedback on a cloud/colour/atmosphereric mod in BoX

Post by Mysticpuma » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:47 pm

Not my mod but some great work and progress.
To my eye there is still an awful green tinge/cast in image 2,3 and 5 of the mod which I hate in the clouds/colours of BoX. The mod creator is asking if anyone else can see the green cast. I have looked on a phone, tablet and pc and the cast is there.
Should you have a chance to look through the entire thread the wip looks great.

Here’s the link, anyone else see the green tinge / cast in the images mentioned?

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/40 ... ent=786504

Cheers, MP

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Re: Requesting feedback on a cloud/colour/atmosphereric mod in BoX

Post by Donkey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:26 pm

Yes, me. Kind of a mustard tinge to those three images in my eyes. That's when looking on a phone (pixel 3a xl), haven't checked on a monitor yet.

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:45 pm

Checking on my monitor, whilst it's perceived as a green cast, it actually seems to be a lack of blue instead. Reading the RGB channels, the red and green are actually pretty equal in those areas my eyes see as green, but the blue channel is a lot less. Increasing that to a similar value as the red and green channels would indeed give a neutral grey. Now looking at photographs of stormy cloudy skies (trying to find one that hasn't been doctored), a blue-ish tint, if any tint, would be more appropriate. Of course the sun could influence the final colour, but a perceived green tint is probably the most unusual as it's caused by a thick cloud (naturally blue tint as water absorbs red), being backlit by a red sunrise/sunset, which mixes with the blue to give green.

So in a nutshell, make them more blue if there's no sun behind them, so they appear more neutral.

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Mysticpuma

Post by Mysticpuma » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:05 pm

Okay, so far then it isn't just me? A neutral grey or slight blue tint, that's fine, but there is definitely a 'wrong' colour tint to the mod, be it mustard or greenish?

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:45 pm

Mysticpuma wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:05 pm
Okay, so far then it isn't just me? A neutral grey or slight blue tint, that's fine, but there is definitely a 'wrong' colour tint to the mod, be it mustard or greenish?
Yep - it's a mustard tint, as Donkey says - a dirty orange. And unless the sunlight's scattered behind it, it's a bit wrong. I bet Thaine could weigh in here with cloud talk.

This rough version has the tint removed from the clouds, they're essentially a neutral grey with a very slight blue tint. But the ground was left as is. However, when you remove the mustard tint, it all looked very 'bright blue' - even the untouched ground. So I had to desaturate the entire image to get this.

It's a rough retouch, obviously. Not enough brightness under the cloud layer on the horizon etc, it's just to show the effect of removing the mustard cast. But the guy talking about the original looking 'cartoony' is also correct - there's too much 'blue' over the entire image. But adding that tint doesn't fix it to my eyes.

Having said all that, my eyes also prefer the CloD colour palette, which is more muted in comparison to BoX. BoX has always felt a little over saturated to me.

Original

De-mustarded/de-saturated

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Mysticpuma

Post by Mysticpuma » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:41 am

Looking way better than stock:
Mods on off.jpg
Mods on off 2.jpg
https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/40 ... ent=795808

Cheers, MP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Digby

Post by Digby » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:56 am

Cloud cover is far more complete and gives a better representation of overcast, but the terrain shadows now look a little silly. In the example above, you would expect the landscape to be darker, but instead there are areas of darkness and light.

Mysticpuma

Post by Mysticpuma » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:09 pm

As I understand it, he is working on the clouds currently, lighting options will be done later :)

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:22 pm

Damn sight better :nice: