Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Coopes
Major
Major
ACG Board
contributor

Box Damage model

Post by Coopes » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:46 pm

I have been flying Box a little more regular, and noticed something that i have never experienced soo much compared to all the other flight sims i have flown.
That being how often the wings pops off under little to no damage. Had it again tonight where i was diving away, pulled a little pos G as if i was to enter chandelle and pop, 1/3 leg wing comes off, and i had litterally taken a long range plink.
It may be me, but like i said in all the others sims its something i have never noticed soo much.

Konaber

Re: Box Damage model

Post by Konaber » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:10 pm

I think they changed that behaviour during the damage model rehaul.
Learned it the hard way in a campaign mission :D

One thing to bear in mind is that the visual damage you see on your plane does sometimes not match
the damage you actually received.

ArcEye
Leutnant
Leutnant
contributor

Post by ArcEye » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:21 pm

I've found since i have come back to game and experienced the new damage model for first time that those outer wing plinks are a lot more detrimental to the flight characteristics than they used to. Also the outer half/tip breaks off far more than the old model where the whole wing would tend to shear off.

Trystan

Post by Trystan » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:08 am

Nearly every combat sim I have ever seen makes the wings far too strong. The main spar of a wing, even in combat aircraft, never extends to the tip of the wing for several structural and aerodynamic reasons. The outer third of the wing is a good average for the structure beyond the main spar.

The vulnerability of the main spar and the role of the skin and ribs of a wing in relation to the structural integrity of the entire wing is one of the reasons pilots would head for home as soon as they could if they received damage, or more likely bail out even if it was over enemy territory. The outer part of a wing coming off after receiving damage is quite realistic.

Part of the P-47's legendary durability came from Republic placing 5 main spars in the wing rather than the normal 2 or 3, and using multiple reinforced outer spars to the rib supporting the outside end of the aileron.
ASUS Z97 / Intel i7-4790K@4.2 GHz / 64 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080Ti 11GB / WINDOWS 10 64-bit / 3 x 27" Monitors / Oculus Rift / Thrustmaster 16000m / Thrustmaster FCS Throttle Quadrant / Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals

Coopes
Major
Major
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Coopes » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:48 am

Trystan wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:08 am
Nearly every combat sim I have ever seen makes the wings far too strong. The main spar of a wing, even in combat aircraft, never extends to the tip of the wing for several structural and aerodynamic reasons. The outer third of the wing is a good average for the structure beyond the main spar.

The vulnerability of the main spar and the role of the skin and ribs of a wing in relation to the structural integrity of the entire wing is one of the reasons pilots would head for home as soon as they could if they received damage, or more likely bail out even if it was over enemy territory. The outer part of a wing coming off after receiving damage is quite realistic.

Part of the P-47's legendary durability came from Republic placing 5 main spars in the wing rather than the normal 2 or 3, and using multiple reinforced outer spars to the rib supporting the outside end of the aileron.
Interesting, considering a lot of real gun cam footage i have watched, i have seen fighter's wings being plastered! If it was BoX damage model IRL i would have expected to see the code "jettison wing".

Trystan

Post by Trystan » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:58 pm

Coopes wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:48 am
Interesting, considering a lot of real gun cam footage i have watched, i have seen fighter's wings being plastered! If it was BoX damage model IRL i would have expected to see the code "jettison wing".
When watching gun camera footage always try to determine if the aircraft being hit is pulling Gs. In many (maybe even most) they aren't, or at least not much. If they were pulling a lot of G the target wouldn't be in the frame of the picture because of the lead necessary to hit the turning aircraft. So gun camera footage is sort of self-selecting for the "sitting ducks".
ASUS Z97 / Intel i7-4790K@4.2 GHz / 64 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080Ti 11GB / WINDOWS 10 64-bit / 3 x 27" Monitors / Oculus Rift / Thrustmaster 16000m / Thrustmaster FCS Throttle Quadrant / Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals

Onebad

Post by Onebad » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:38 pm

BoX DM is, was and likely will remain utter shite for the forseeable future.

Konaber

Post by Konaber » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:24 pm

Onebad wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:38 pm

Onebad

Post by Onebad » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:52 pm

Konaber wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:24 pm
Onebad wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:38 pm
Lmao at these WT kids, we be simmin proper now - BoX players, propably

Trystan

Post by Trystan » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:45 pm

Coopes, here is some gun camera footage of a 190 attacking a P-47 at low level (where the 190 will easily out turn the 47). Both pilots appear to be good at their craft, but notice how little the P-47 is in frame in shooting position because of the turn. And at this level and apparent speed (judging from the clouds and visible ground) neither aircraft can pull more than probably 3 G's. It's interesting to note even given the on-paper maneuverability advantage the 190 pilot has to pull right into a stall to get his guns on the 47. I'm including the whole URL here because you can't include a timestamp in a YouTube reference. If you're interested in aerodynamics and numbers, this is a good video on P-47 performance.

https://youtu.be/KahHLtYlveQ?t=4378