ArmA 3 - Breaking Point

Premier FPS for wannabe war-zone enthusiasts

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Goat

ArmA 3 - Breaking Point

Post by Goat » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:37 pm

A couple of years ago, I tried out this mod for ArmA 3 and it was called "Breaking Point". I enjoyed the time I spent spent there, but didn't go back because the only map I could play on was Altis. It turned out that Altis is far too large for this type of gameplay... Highly populated servers seemed desolate.

This is a DayZ type of gameplay with almost all of the associated complications... although I haven't died from diarrhea yet... Multiple maps are now available and the mod has been polished quite a bit since my last visit.

With the impending shutdown of my ArmA 3 server due to lack of interest, I would like to propose a Breaking Point group and invite the very few who are actually interested in ArmA 3 group play. I don't want to play with outside groups, just ACG people. I like this community enough that I'd prefer to keep my ArmA activity here.

My Plan:
1. We go at this with a role-playing mentality.
2. Engage other players as we would if we were really in this type of situation. Try to reason first, then resort to hostility of no other option is available.
3. Play how you want. The differences in our own personalities is something I'd like to emphasize.
4. We can bring along players that we find in the world who are useful (and maybe even recruit them into our ranks)

My experiences so far:
Players are generally willing to work together instead of shooting on sight. I ran into 7 other players yesterday and only 2 of them were hostile immediately. One of the times it was because I surprised a guy by climbing a ladder into his sniper nest. He surprised me too, so we exchanged fire. He panic shot at me before I could draw when I was still on the ladder but he didn't fatally hit me, then I tried to flank him... hoping he had bandages I could take off his corpse. He popped out and put a magazine of M4 into me in full-auto while I put a round of 7.62 into his chest. The other time, I was unarmed and a guy I was trying to talk to smashed my face in with a fire axe for no reason.

The other 5 players I ran into were actually quite helpful. I talked to them through direct comms in game. We ran together for a while, but some terrible things happened... mostly zombies.

The cool part about this is the dynamic. There are homicidal psychopaths out there, but there are many more reasonable people. Let's get together and build a story...

Install is EXTREMELY easy. Google "Arma 3 Breaking Point", install the launcher, create an account/log in via Steam, subscribe to the mod from Steam by clicking the link on the launcher, wait while it downloads the 9.1 GB in 20 minutes because of Valve's blazing fast servers, log in and play.

Geordie

Re: ArmA 3 - Breaking Point

Post by Geordie » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:47 pm

I'd be up for it. I'll download it tonight when I get in (If I remember)
I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game — Sir Harry Broadhurst

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:12 pm

I need to understand this. We are talking about a mod which is basically post-apocolypse scenario and you have to arm up? The sniper was interested in just killing you for your shit you have?

Walking Dead kind of thing? Deffo interested.

PS I'm gutted about your server, you put in a lot of work into that. Keep your shit though because if you want to run an event on that work then just arrange with me and I'll pop up my server where you can have access.

Geordie

Post by Geordie » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:41 pm

I just wish I could have made the events you did. I've been manic over the past few weeks sadly =/
I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game — Sir Harry Broadhurst

Goat

Post by Goat » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:55 pm

No worries about the server. I have a spare computer that can host any time. Maybe I'll keep the rented one another month, it only costs $20... But it depends on the interest.

The sniper killed me because I surprised him and he panicked. Completely human reaction.

This is Walking Dead type shit for sure. The tension and constant paranoia is palpable and hangs over your every move.

Rowns

Post by Rowns » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:58 pm

I have tried breaking point but the last time I did it made the game lagg.

Kildren

Post by Kildren » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:41 pm

i prefer what we have now but everyone said yeah great idea and nobody showed up :( but i wouldn't mind more of a squad based mission then just going out into the big bad world but il go along with what other people want

Speak to me about joining the ACG Pilots Union

Goat

Post by Goat » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:10 pm

Thanks for showing up every week, Kildren. It's fun playing with a shitdick like you. Please feel free to join the Breaking Point stuff.

I want to keep the 24-7 server up, but no one uses it. I can still run the same missions on Saturdays if people want from my server box. There just won't be a persistent 24-7 server because there isn't a need or interest.

The missions I made are pretty fucking awesome, so I'll make sure that they are not wasted and keep my editing/scripting skills up to snuff. Also, if anyone wants to dissect them, build on top of them, or use them for their own sever I will make the files and scripts available... As I will my advice and expertise.

For now, the server is paid until April 10... We'll still run the same type of stuff at the same time until then. I might extend it after that because it's not really costing me much... What matters to me most is that people make use of it. We have fun missions that are completely dynamic where you can even play alone.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:46 pm

Tons in ACG play ARMA3, I see it in the friends list all the time, but they are always the fuck offline on some other TS or what I dunno

Hindsight

Post by Hindsight » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:49 pm

Let me start by saying that I have played ALOT of DayZ and by alot I mean like 1000+ hours in just the mod. I was playing with Martin last night while he had his magical experience... We weren't actually near each other so I didnt participate in his roleplay S&M sessions with random men. But, what I am interested in and this doesn't interfere with the RP side if that's what you want to do is tactical squad play. Since this is a DayZ mimic, they do not have ridiculously OP weapons or tanks rolling around. Most travel is on foot and that allows for amazing firefights to take place. I am not someone who would ever really try to team up with a random. What I am looking for is us ACG guys meeting up, and heading up north to get better geared and to fight other people. I will state flatly that if I am armed, I will shoot anyone who I encounter (other than ACG guys) unless there is a good reason not to. That reason is probably mostly based on making a shit ton of noise and giving away my position. But everyone you let go could pop up with at least an Lee Enfield 30 seconds later so... Anyway, I love this kind of game and again, not really because of the zombies but because the scarcity of weapons, and the lack of supreme firepower allows for some amazing experiences. There is something satisfying about having one or two of your group providing overwatch on a town while some other members go in looking for loot. There is always danger and the two populated US servers we found seem to always have at least 70 people on them so even with a map as big as Chernaraus, you always have to be on your toes. Whether you RP initially or just want to work well as part of a small squad, this game WILL provide some intense and extremely memorable experiences.
A little bit of smart is much more effective than a lot of stupid